Long Island Bow Hunting thread

JimmyDaSavage

First-light, geno, good homework. Looks like you were right. Not trying to jump the gun but now it sorta makes sense how I was told about the deer and the info. Shame on me for thinking people wouldn't lie about this stuff.

My buddy texted me info over the past 3 days he was given by a "reliable" source.

Apologies to all. Was not trying to spread lies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

no worries... im sure it wont be the last 200" er to be claimed on LI this year. Im sure there are a few 200" ers running around here and if one hits the ground it will spread quickly. also like nyantler said, he would find out pretty quick from an official scorer about a deer of that caliber.

on any note, that is a giant of a buck. Word for years from the pros is the next record non typ would come out of Ohio

was out today and this morning was pretty cold... had seen about 4 doe and a nice high rack buck at about 100 yards walking through. couldnt make him out but was a nice buck. hunted the evening as well and had 2 doe and a yearling come in around 530pm.

seems to be picking up

I was out monday, just for the morning.  Tried a new spot (public land).  Wound up seeing 2 deer early in the morning, one doe and one I couldnt make out.  Both at about 50 yards.  Then later on I had 2 does and 2 fawns pass behind me.  Then at about 930am, I had another doe and 2 fawns pass the same way behind me (about 30 yards away through thick cover).

Sunday morning I had a big doe come in just after first light.  I had all intention of shooting, but she stayed at a quartering to angle.  At one point, she stopped about 9 yards. It was tempting to try a shot due to the close range, but I held off.  Then she came closer until she was 3 yards (still quartering towards).  Then she caught my wind and freaked out running away blowing.  She kept blowing as she made her way over a 100 yards from my stand.  She musta been a keen, spooky doe.  

I have yet to see a buck in the 5 posts I;ve put in so far.  And Most of the movement I've been seeing has been very early, just after first light. 

Didn't sit this weekend. Sat last night and on stand now. Last night had a seven pointer at 39 yards, no real shot. Don't think I would have shot him knowing there's bigger ones In the area. This am had a fox and a doe before sunrise. Had a small racked buck at 35 yards but no shot about 30 minutes ago. First real cold front of the season next week. Thur-fri next week should be great days in to be in the stand.

Got out last week and had a nice 6 point come thru but he was out of range. He was leisurly trotting by but wasn't spooked then at 50 yards turned to see what we were for a sec he knew something was there but couldnt tell what (was in a ground blind)....still not spooked then trotted away. Tried to get him to stop when he was closer in but my grunting didnt phase him. Atleast they are out there and starting to move. Was going to head out yesterday evening but had a random back spasm in the morning and had to sit it out :(.

Seeing how today goes, gotta try and get some work done and see how the back is feeling later on.

I need to fill the freezer I just picked out!!

• Like 1

I shot two does in central suffolk last Wednesday morning.  Freezer is filled for the year so the bows been on safety the last few days.  I've been seeing A LOT of deer this year but almost all does.  I only saw 2 bucks from the stand so far this year and they were 100+ yards away.

• Like 1

Kencan, funny you say that. I have seen 24 does so far while on stand, yet only 1 buck. A small 6 that I passed on.

I've been seeing deer consistently yet hunting various stands at variopus locations. Been meaning to take a doe but each time either its at last light, or the shot isn't stupidly easy. Yesterday morning a doe was 23 yds. Broadside. But I restrict myself to 20 so I passed. But I know I canmake the shot, just overly cautious.

Late post here everybody. My buddy Kenny shot this basket 8 on 10/7. The Rage did its job....only a 60-70 yd tracking job. We have been seeing a lot of buck movement since opening day. My other friend Pete shot an 8 a day after Kenny's. My son and I found a new area on Saturday.....had some fresh scrapes and a mix of old and new rubs. We hunted it that afternoon but didnt see anything. I went out again on Monday morning to the same spot  and around 7:10 AM I had 3 does come in from my left....(or so I thought 3). I watched them come down the run single file and stop by a blow down about 25 yds from my stand. I stood up and positioned my self for a shot while they were behind the blow down. Breeze had changed and was now blowing from me to them. Little did I know was that doe #4 was watching me the whole time. I have no idea where she came from but she busted me big time....I got 2 head bobs and 3 stomps and then she blew at me. She must have been with the 3 but came in on a different angle so I never saw her. Needless to say I had 4 white flags waving bye bye to me. About an hour later I watched a momma with a tiny fawn 50 yds off to my left just browsing on branches and crunching up acorns. Watched them for about 15 mins until they walked off away from me. So 6 deer in an hours time and no shots but it was a fun morning. I did notice a brand new rub about 10 yds from my tree which wasn't there on Saturday afternoon. I'll be out again Sunday and Monday this weekend...I can't wait to see if there is any new sign of activity. Good luck all.

Kennys 8

post-604-0-76557700-1382137987_thumb.jpg

Petes 8

post-604-0-37715100-1382138218_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

we have some rain coming weds i think, i may slip in to do a quick prune job to have a few more shot ops. its thick where i am and dont have a lot of options but i do see other patterns the deer have been taking passed my stand that i didnt see them taking until putting in some seat time in this new tree. so i want to do it now rather then have that one big one come in through one of the spots giving me no shot. just want to be ready... then i think i am going to get in for a hunt friday

Was at rocky point yesterday, passed on a small 6 still hunting, he was at 41 yrds I mouth grunted and he came in to 25 i would guess a 1.5yr old

That is AWESOME!!!

I made a terrible shot on a doe last night.  Tracked her most of the day today and came up empty.  I hate when this happens.

Keep at it we all make mistakes, learn from it, and you become better...  I always ask myself, what did I do wrong...  Hunting is constant game of self improvement.

• Like 1

I shot two does in central suffolk last Wednesday morning.  Freezer is filled for the year so the bows been on safety the last few days.  I've been seeing A LOT of deer this year but almost all does.  I only saw 2 bucks from the stand so far this year and they were 100+ yards away.

I love when I can fill the freezer early in the season. Now you can focus your attention on that buck. 

Just wondering...  How did you get two doe tags for LI that allowed you to shoot two in one morning?  Though after you used one you had to reaply...

Just wondering... How did you get two doe tags for LI that allowed you to shoot two in one morning? Though after you used one you had to reaply...

You can easily get two does if you

A. Applied for 2 DMP for 1C

B. Purchased the early bow as MZ tags

C. A combination of A and B.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems