Anyone ever hunt West Mountain State Forest in Dover/Beekman?

blackradio

• 1 month later...

I do sometimes, but it seems always crowded when I get there...One good spot is way up north where no one goes, but then again if you hit something that would be a long a$$ drag through the hills.... so you take your pick... Later in the season it gets better but still too many people for my taste. Avoid the lake residential area....

• 9 months later...

There are some nice ridges and if the oaks are dropping acorns, the deer will be in there. Bow season is your best chance to have the least amount of people there. During the week during the bow is even better.

I have come across some stands that have been left there (illegal on state land), but I have never felt like it was to crowded to hunt. 

If you scout out where you want to hunt from your parking spot...be prepared to have 1 or 2 back-ups in case there is someone in "your' spot when you get there. 

Good luck this season.

Hey, did you ever bow hunt the area?

I'm thinking of trying this land this year and am just wondering what I am up against.

I did, bow season is quieter and like birdhunter said pick a weekday....then you will have some peace and quiet

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone hunting here recently? Been here 4 or 5 times this bow season. Saw 3 doe, had a shot on 2 but they were small. Haven't seen a scrape or rub or much sign at all. Walked an hour in this morning and saw 2 small deer tracks and 5 coyote tracks. 

Going to give it a break and hunt another property and return in a few weeks.

• 6 months later...

Anyone have any luck there this season? I hunted here a ton this season. I saw some deer, a few nice bucks. One pretty sure one got shot about 5 minutes after it left my sight over the hill. Looking forward to hunting there again this year. It's challenging but i enjoy it.

• 6 months later...

Hunted there opening day yesterday, and 5 or 6 times durring bow. Saw 4 doe early season and nothing since.

Sat from 5:40-11 with no sightings and then walked to the north end of property until 3 pm and no sighting. Not much sign either. Only 2 other cars in parking lot on opening. Very weird. No deer and no hunters.