Anyone Squirrel Hunt Tivoli Bay?

I'm wondering if anyone has small game hunted the Tivoli Bay WMA?  This is my first year hunting and it's not too far from my home so I thought it may be worth checking out.  I've been researching places around Hyde Park using DEC's State Lands Interactive Mapper (SLIM), it's a pretty cool tool.  The Taconic - Hereford Area and the Beebe Hill and Harvey Mountain areas also look like their worth checking out.

Am I missing anything worth checking out around this area?

Thanks for any advice.

Well I decided to try out the Taconic -  Hereford MUA since it is so close to home, it's 909 acres. I parked right off the Taconic Pkwy and wondered into the woods away from the road.  But I could never get far enough away to loose the traffic noises. For my first day of small game hunting I had a blast. Never saw a squirrel but walked all over, got into the hunting mentality walked a short bit to an interesting area and stopped and listened and watched for 5 to 10 minutes. I could hear maybe a squirrel eating something but I could not see him. I spent a couple hours out there looking around saw a few birds and a chipmunk but not much else.  I used the GPS on my phone to periodically check my location. I have a Topo mapping app that's ok for choosing a decent path but mostly it just gets me back to my truck. So day 1 no sees or kills but a great time hunting. Day 2 tomorrow morning I'm going back to check out the back parking areas and see if all the critters are hiding there.

Edited by ctballos

I've been out a few mornings and have noticed my noise may be scaring off the greys.  Had an airgun jamb with a new pellet and had to walk back to my car and home to clear it. On the way I saw a grey walk across the trail, bastard, how did he know! So I know they are there. Anyway rain today back tomorrow.  Did I mention I'm on Gov't furlough? So I have time to do stuff.  So what's up with the knat's, mosquitos, and flies?  What do I wear?

Edited by ctballos

I've been out a few mornings and have noticed my noise may be scaring off the greys. Had an airgun jamb with a new pellet and had to walk back to my car and home to clear it. On the way I saw a grey walk across the trail, bastard, how did he know! So I know they are there. Anyway rain today back tomorrow. Did I mention I'm on Gov't furlough? So I have time to do stuff. So what's up with the knat's, mosquitos, and flies? What do I wear?

Which air gun jammed? Deet for skeeters and permethrin for ticks.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Which air gun jammed? Deet for skeeters and permethrin for ticks.

The Air Ranger jammed. It turned out to be the polymer tip on the Polymag pellet coming loose and sticking a bit into the barrel. I didn't realize at the time but the pellets are a bit small for the magazine. I pushed it back with a small wood dowel.

That Daystate looks legit. The tips coming off those usually happen in the .177 size pellets, never happened on my .25, yet.

Good luck this season.

Thanks for the luck, you to.  I went out today back to Taconic - Hereford and sat on an overlook for an hour and never saw anything but a bird which turned out to be too fast for me. After that I left and decided to check out the Lafayette State Forest and found a parking area just off route 82. I didn't go in but did notice a lot of conifer stands with a very long hill of hardwood behind it. Looked like a place to hunt. Painting my sons house tomorrow hunting Thursday.

bee bee hill and harvey is some hard hunting you gotta walk in deep to get to deer and theres a lot of peope who go there plus side of it is that the deer there are mature and theres prolly a trophy in there

Hi Feathebeard,,, still working my way up the hunting ladder, I figure I have to bag my share of wild squirrels first. Not that I haven't bagged 50'sh in the back yard but when I'm in the woods somehow the critters develop radar and go into cloak mode.

Thanks for the luck, you to. I went out today back to Taconic - Hereford and sat on an overlook for an hour and never saw anything but a bird which turned out to be too fast for me. After that I left and decided to check out the Lafayette State Forest and found a parking area just off route 82. I didn't go in but did notice a lot of conifer stands with a very long hill of hardwood behind it. Looked like a place to hunt. Painting my sons house tomorrow hunting Thursday.

What WMU is this?

I've been out a bunch of mornings between the Taconic - Hereford and Lafayetteville MUA's and have seen a number of squirrels.  The brush and leaves are thick out there and it does make if difficult to stalk the little critters, take your eyes off them for a second and their gone.  So far the squirrels have been pretty safe from me.  I don't think I'm sitting long enough between moves because there not coming out for me.  I've been sticking to the trails, walking quietly stopping, moving, stopping, moving.  And when I hear enough chatter I circle around into the woods to get the sun behind me stopping when it gets quiet and finding a decent vantage point where I sit can quietly and wait for the chatter to return.  It does but I just can't find them very often.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do after 10:30ish because everything just gets quiet.  I don't yet wear camo, just a tan vest with blaze orange shoulders, jeans and a dark colored shirt.

Am I just not being patient enough?  Anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks.

They're not hard to spot now with most of the acorns on the ground by me. Just walk around where you can see 50+ yards and look for ground movement. No need to walk and stop, just walk at a slow pace and try to keep it light footsteps.

If you prefer to sit, do 15 mins at a time and move on.

They're not hard to spot now with most of the acorns on the ground by me. Just walk around where you can see 50+ yards and look for ground movement. No need to walk and stop, just walk at a slow pace and try to keep it light footsteps.

If you prefer to sit, do 15 mins at a time and move on.

Thanks.  Heading out again before my furlough ends and I have to go back to work.