Beware The NEW Gun Laws are in effect and aimed at HUNTERS

Berniez

Folks,

This new law is filled with convoluted verbiage designed to make us all Felons and confiscate our guns.... so be real careful what you do.  

I just talked to the DEC folks and here are a few bits you need to understand to prevent you from being labeled a Felon and your guns confiscated.

Here are only a few of the myriad of questions I asked  that actually got an answer of some type.

As per their interpretation: They are making any infraction of this law a CLASS E Felony

Currently:::

1. When traveling and stopping for gas, groceries, Restroom break, etc., and exiting your vehicle. All shotguns/rifles MUST NOW be in a hard locked case hidden from view.  Their is an exception if someone stays in the car while completing those tasks.  However  If that person is a child under 18 the guns MUST be in a secured and lock in a hard case or in a safe which is with a key, keypad or combination.  NOTE::: Bio-metric locked cases are NOT mentioned and thus could be currently illegal. That includes your bedroom bio-metric pistol safe.  (When I asked about this I was met with googled eye stupidity and a non answer  SO BEWARE that the point is to get rid of all guns and violating this rule is all that's necessary to be arrested.  If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

2.When asked about driving from Farm to Farm to hunt I was told the need to be in a hard case and locked. If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

3. When asked about driving on my farm with an unloaded but uncased firearm....I was met with "that's probably ok but Be careful, Albany wants to play "gotcha" and "If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

4. Trespass laws have been changed to make it easier to become a felon. It is now considered illegal to go into any  place that does not say CWP allowed. You must have permission from every landowner or you will be charged with a Class E Felony for trespassing (includes being lost if you have a firearm). If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns.  So if you have issues with your neighbors make sure you know exactly where the property lines are. Advice get written permission from all the land owners  before the season starts so you don't get caught up in a later squabble and be told "you never had my permission." 

These trespass laws will be used aggressively so be careful.

5.  Open carry is always illegal but you could use pistol to hunt so it was tacitly allowed.  NOW???? It could be read that your hunting pistol MUST be concealed..... The DEC person was perplexed about this and agreed that the concealed issue was "ambiguously vague" and in the future could be viewed as "must be concealed".  SO just how do you take off the winter gear to access your firearm?? If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

6.  The DEC Flyer says, " The new law does not affect how LAWFULL hunting may occur in NEW YORK."  Sure they change the rules and makes common practices now illegal.  So if you you have ANY infraction you are NO Longer LAWFULLY Hunting. Thus you will be subject not only to that infraction  but having committed it in possession of a firearm  If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

FOLKS remember that the original "Seat Belt Laws" specifically stated the you could not be stopped for violating that law...Suddenly its become a pretense to pull you over and see just what you got in your vehicle. So no matter what they say now you is only whats to come and you KNOW where this is headed. Forget about the Camel getting its nose under the tent,with this law the camel is in and letting the whole herd in. If we don't stop this nonsense by voting (and yes your vote counts) we deserve the S#$%T storm that's coming

BTW If convicted of violating this law we lose the ability to VOTE.

Be careful and have a safe hunting season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

DEC officers have the same capacity as any police officer last I knew 

I tell you.  So exactly what did the supreme court decision accomplish??  Absolutely NOTHING.  Just made life more difficult for ALL gun owners in this state never mind the ones who want to conceal carry.  Makes absolutely NO sense that a state is allowed to sidestep a supreme court decision in this way.  What authority does the supreme court really have then?  Very little to none in my opinion if a state is allowed to enact such nonsense after a ruling is made.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I tell you.  So exactly what did the supreme court decision accomplish??  Absolutely NOTHING.  Just made life more difficult for ALL gun owners in this state never mind the ones who want to conceal carry.  Makes absolutely NO sense that a state is allowed to sidestep a supreme court decision in this way.  What authority does the supreme court really have then?  Very little to none in my opinion if a state is allowed to enact such nonsense after a ruling is made.

couldnt agree more 

• Like 1

Confiscation and felony seem to be the most used words in this sh-tshow from the state.Other than your handguns they really dont know how many long guns you own.It would seem a lot of people will find alternative places to store their long guns when not in use,as a precaution if something happens while in route to hunting or target shooting,all their guns wont be found.:hunter-smiley-face:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, farmer 52 said:

Confiscation and felony seem to be the most used words in this sh-tshow from the state.Other than your handguns they really dont know how many long guns you own.It would seem a lot of people will find alternative places to store their long guns when not in use,as a precaution if something happens while in route to hunting or target shooting,all their guns wont be found.:hunter-smiley-face:

I agree , it’s a good idea if you can to keep one or two offsite . Also my handguns are co registered with two others .and two are in my bank deposit box . Decentralized storage .

• Like 1

I’ve talked to some sheriffs in my county and the county where I hunt. They do not think these are constitutional.  There department policy is they will not be out “looking” for people violating these laws. 
ECO officer I talked to at 3 rivers WMA last week basically said the same thing. They are not going to be out making sure every person in the woods has permission to be there.  They don’t have the resources to do that and don’t want to get into having to take guns. Actually said the head of the DEC has told the legislature that some of this wording needs to be changed to avoid this issue for hunters. 

The Supreme Court's decisions carry a lot of weight in the legal system, but the system works very slowly.

The Sullivan Law it overturned was on the books for 111 years.  It takes a lawsuit, and lots of cash and political influence to even get a case before the SCOTUS so it can rule on it.  

However, rogue politicians like Hochul, who violate their oaths of office with impunity, know this is the case and will intentionally pass these retaliatory laws as a stall tactic to prevent the SCOTUS ruling from changing anything.  These people need to be impeached when they do that, but because this state is a blue state with an idiot electorate, it will not happen.

This is why your vote matters, and if you have a lot of stupid people in your state, you only have two choices.  Work on converting the stupid people, or move out of state.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, steve863 said:

9 hours ago, Grouse said:

The Supreme Court's decisions carry a lot of weight in the legal system, but the system works very slowly.

The Sullivan Law it overturned was on the books for 111 years.  It takes a lawsuit, and lots of cash and political influence to even get a case before the SCOTUS so it can rule on it.  

However, rogue politicians like Hochul, who violate their oaths of office with impunity, know this is the case and will intentionally pass these retaliatory laws as a stall tactic to prevent the SCOTUS ruling from changing anything.  These people need to be impeached when they do that, but because this state is a blue state with an idiot electorate, it will not happen.

This is why your vote matters, and if you have a lot of stupid people in your state, you only have two choices.  Work on converting the stupid people, or move out of state.

And NEVER forget this isn't about some law granting a privilege (like driving).  This is your Constitutional Right and the ONLY one that within it says "Shall not be infringed".

• Like 2

Um pretty sure the Supreme Court did not come up with these new useless laws . Our  acting  so called governor did.  She’s out to make a name for herself. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:49 PM, Berniez said:

Folks,

This new law is filled with convoluted verbiage designed to make us all Felons and confiscate our guns.... so be real careful what you do.  

I just talked to the DEC folks and here are a few bits you need to understand to prevent you from being labeled a Felon and your guns confiscated.

Here are only a few of the myriad of questions I asked  that actually got an answer of some type.

As per their interpretation: They are making any infraction of this law a CLASS E Felony

1. When traveling and stopping for gas, groceries, Restroom break, etc., and exiting your vehicle. All shotguns/rifles MUST NOW be in a hard locked case hidden from view.  Their is an exception if someone stays in the car while completing those tasks.  However  If that person is a child under 18 the guns MUST be in a secured and lock in a hard case or in a safe which is with a key, keypad or combination.  NOTE::: Bio-metric locked cases are NOT mentioned and thus could be currently illegal. That includes your bedroom bio-metric pistol safe.  (When I asked about this I was met with googled eye stupidity and a non answer  SO BEWARE that the point is to get rid of all guns and violating this rule is all that's necessary to be arrested.  If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

2.When asked about driving from Farm to Farm to hunt I was told the need to be in a hard case and locked. If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

3. When asked about driving on my farm with an unloaded but uncased firearm....I was met with "that's probably ok but Be careful, Albany wants to play "gotcha" and "If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

4. Trespass laws have been changed to make it easier to become a felon. It is now considered illegal to go into any  place that does not say CWP allowed. You must have permission from every landowner or you will be charged with a Class E Felony for trespassing (includes being lost if you have a firearm). If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns.  So if you have issues with your neighbors make sure you know exactly where the property lines are. Advice get written permission from all the land owners  before the season starts so you don't get caught up in a later squabble and be told "you never had my permission." 

5.  Open carry is always illegal but you could use pistol to hunt so it was tacitly allowed.  NOW???? It could be read that your hunting pistol MUST be concealed..... The DEC person was perplexed about this and agreed that the concealed issue was "ambiguously vague" and in the future could be viewed as "must be concealed".  SO just how do you take off the winter gear to access your firearm?? If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

6.  The DEC Flyer says, " The new law does not affect how LAWFULL hunting may occur in NEW YORK."  Sure they change the rules and makes common practices now illegal.  So if you you have ANY infraction you are NO Longer LAWFULLY Hunting. Thus you will be subject not only to that infraction  but having committed it in possession of a firearm  If Violated:::::This a  FELONY requiring that the state confiscates all your guns

FOLKS remember that the original "Seat Belt Laws" specifically stated the you could not be stopped for violating that law...Suddenly its become a pretense to pull you over and see just what you got in your vehicle. So no matter what they say now you is only whats to come and you KNOW where this is headed. Forget about the Camel getting its nose under the tent,with this law the camel is in and letting the whole herd in. If we don't stop this nonsense by voting (and yes your vote counts) we deserve the S#$%T storm that's coming

Lots of confusion no doubt , but this is right from the NY web sight  

https://gunsafety.ny.gov/

Safe Handling and Storage Law 

How does the new law impact transporting guns in a vehicle?

Effective September 1, 2022, if you leave your gun unattended in a vehicle, it must be unloaded and locked in a fire, impact, and tamper resistant storage depository that is hidden from view. Glove compartments and glove boxes are not appropriate safe storage depositories. A plastic or aluminum, lockable, hard-sided, gun case or safe will suffice for this purpose. 

Ok so it has to be in a fire , impact and tamper proof  case , but then says a plastic  case will suffice  :blink: This friggen state .

If an adult remains with the vehicle to ensure security, a case or safe is not required. To prevent theft and ensure safety, it is always recommended that firearms be secured during transport. Local rules for traveling with firearms also apply and may be more restrictive. For example, New York City requires that all guns be unloaded, in a case, and out of sight, even when you are with the vehicle (Penal Law § 265.45).

How am I required to store my guns in my home?

If anyone younger than 18 years old or anyone who is prohibited from possessing a gun resides in the home, all firearms, rifles, and shotguns not in your immediate control must either be:

• secured with a gun locking device (trigger lock or cable lock) that makes them incapable of being accessed or fired by the prohibited individual, or
  • locked securely in a safe or secure container that is fire, impact, and tamper resistant and which is locked using a key, keypad, or combination.

For us pistol hunters . 

I hunt deer with a pistol. Am I affected by New York's gun laws?

Most hunting handguns are not affected by New York's gun laws. However, you can check to see if your pistol is an assault weapon.

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:49 PM, Berniez said:

Folks,

41 minutes ago, luberhill said:

So number 2 above from the OPs post says when driving it has to be in a locked case

But that doesn’t seem to be in the law?

Sounds like it’s just if you leave it in the vehicle 

Safe Storage

How does the law enacted in 2022 impact transporting guns in a vehicle?

Effective September 1, 2022, if you leave your gun unattended in a vehicle, it must be unloaded and locked in a fire, impact, and tamper resistant storage depository that is hidden from view. Glove compartments and glove boxes are not appropriate safe storage depositories. A plastic or aluminum, lockable, hard-sided, gun case or safe will suffice for this purpose. 

If an adult remains with the vehicle to ensure security, a case or safe is not required. To prevent theft and ensure safety, it is always recommended that firearms be secured during transport.   Local rules for traveling with firearms also apply and may be more restrictive. For example, New York City requires that all guns be unloaded, in a case, and out of sight, even when you are with the vehicle (Penal Law § 265.45).

If anyone younger than 18 years old or anyone who is prohibited from possessing a gun resides in the home, all firearms, rifles, and shotguns not in your immediate control must either be:

• secured with a gun locking device (trigger lock or cable lock) that makes them incapable of being accessed or fired by the prohibited individual, or
  • locked securely in a safe or secure container that is fire, impact, and tamper resistant and which is locked using a key, keypad, or combination. 

https://gunsafety.ny.gov/resources-gun-owners

8 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Safe Storage

How does the law enacted in 2022 impact transporting guns in a vehicle?

If an adult remains with the vehicle to ensure security, a case or safe is not required. To prevent theft and ensure safety, it is always recommended that firearms be secured during transport.   Local rules for traveling with firearms also apply and may be more restrictive. For example, New York City requires that all guns be unloaded, in a case, and out of sight, even when you are with the vehicle (Penal Law § 265.45).

https://gunsafety.ny.gov/resources-gun-owners

Yea I saw that , and it reads different than the OPs number 2 

So it seems someone told him incorrectly 

Then the law reads it must be in a “fire resistant “ storage ..two lines later it says it can be plastic :)

Welcome to NY

Edited by luberhill
  • Like 3

The sad thing about all this is that some hunters will be voting for Kathy in November.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

That's because they don't think it will affect them.  They ignored oppressive gun laws in NY all along because they don't own an AR or any handguns, but this new laws affect any semi-auto deer rifle too.  If they don't think this leftist anti-gun attitude will eventually affect all hunting guns too, they should be reminded it's already affecting all of their hunting ammo.

• Like 3