new hunter- seeking buddies, I will help in any way

Bigapplebackstraps

Hi all,

New hunter here. I have gear and tags (no gun). I live in New York City where the hunting isn't great (unless you're a fan of 8th Avenue pigeon). I would really appreciate the opportunity to go hunting with someone or a group of hunters. I have access to a car and will go almost anywhere. I would love to learn from you and I will help in any way. I can drag, gut, help process, butcher, and even cook - anything you need. Nobody in my group of family or friends hunts, and I would like to learn so that one day I can go alone and teach my friends and future family how to hunt.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Bigapplebackstraps
  • Like 3

First off, welcome to the sport.

Do you have a bow?  What part of part of the city are you in?  Your timing is a little bad because season just started so most hunters will be focus on their own hunt rather than try and drag a newbie around with them.  Hunters also tend to want to get to know a hunter before bringing them out to the woods.  Keep at it.  Participate on this forum.  Let others get to know you and maybe later on in the season, hunters will have more time available.

• Like 2

agreed, hopping onto a website the day of the season and looking to find someone to hunt with whom you never met and need to borrow a gun is unlikely to happen, but ya never know

Maybe, maybe not.

I met a guy on here who was a new hunter last year. We pretty much hunt together and share properties to hunt now. Got to help him track his first deer.

Maybe he has some luck.

• Like 1

Forget borrowing a gun.  Not going to happen.  Word of advice, asking to do so is like asking to sleep with their wives.  It automatically ends the conversation.  Not sure about upstate folks but NYC laws are so strict, no one in their right mind will allow another person to use their firearms.  I don't even allow my own brother to borrow my firearms.

Note: The other question you don't ask is where their secret spots are.  You'll understand once you start hunting on your own.  They won't be as offended when you ask but generally, hunters don't give out their spots.

• Like 1

Maybe, maybe not.

I met a guy on here who was a new hunter last year. We pretty much hunt together and share properties to hunt now. Got to help him track his first deer.

Maybe he has some luck.

Phade, you're better than most of us here.  That's a fact.

I have taken a lot of newbies and experienced hunters after deer season out to hunt.  Many here can attest to that.  Just never during deer season.  This year, I barely have time to even hunt for myself let alone bring someone along with me.

• Like 1

I don't know borrowing a gun isn't such a sacred thing as some might think. Although I do agree that I would have to learn a lot more about said hunter before I put a rifle in his/her hands and turn them lose. I think your best bet would be to hook up with someone asap. Then let them get to know you, maybe go to the range with them see how safe you are with a weapon. I think you have the right idea in wanting to help around the property and such. Can't hurt to keep asking. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

I don't know borrowing a gun isn't such a sacred thing as some might think.

It's a NYC thing.  You're not suppose to lend it out and if caught, you can lose all your stuff and have a date in court.

But like I said, let people get to know you.  You'll improve your chances that way.

Phade, you're better than most of us here. That's a fact.

I have taken a lot of newbies and experienced hunters after deer season out to hunt. Many here can attest to that. Just never during deer season. This year, I barely have time to even hunt for myself let alone bring someone along with me.

Not at all. I just believe that everyone needs a break or fortunate roll of the dice a few times in their life and sometimes that comes at the hands of someone you least expect. It all comes full circle. Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I really feel for those that just start out and dont know anyone who hunts or has any interest. But everyone is right asking the day of or second day of opening is more than likely not going to happen. I like helping new comers but would NEVER lend any of my firearms. one twig snap newbie turns and BOOM.... out sorry I just shot a person then my firearm(s) get taken away. any newbie I have helped I only did so once they purchased their our gun and go some range time under their belt..

Not at all. I just believe that everyone needs a break or fortunate roll of the dice a few times in their life and sometimes that comes at the hands of someone you least expect. It all comes full circle.

Unfortunately, Elmo is right. Full circle sometimes means being in court down here in the City. Something most of us have been through many times, and shy away from if possible.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Your welcome to come tag along on a bowhunt out east on public land if you like, you don't need a weapon to accompany someone on a hunt, it may introduce you on what to look for signs/travel routes ect.. and we may even see some deer

• Like 1

Guys,

Appreciate all the help and comments on this post so far. Danny and VJP, thanks for the messages. 

In terms of shooting, yeah I've had range time under my belt. I've never shot a bow but open to the idea- but I know its too late to bowhunt this year but would love to tag along. _ I know my timing isnt great, but its hard not to get excited around this time of year.

I dont have a gun yet because owning a rifle in NYC is a big hassle. 

And yes , I would never ask for someone's secret spot. I'm a spearfisherman and the same rules apply.

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe he has some luck.

Its true and I have had a blast - all is good until he kills MY deer (the trophy does) - I call dibs on them.  lol

You never know.  Now stop posting and go get the resident.

A bow will open a lot of opportunities for you since you live in the city.  For example, Westchester is strictly bow only and there are a bunch of places there you can hunt.

As far as owning a rifle/shotgun, are you planning to go through with the licensing process?  I'm some what familiar with the process if you need help with that.

Thanks for the info, Elmo.

I should have taken the bow hunting course along with hunter's ed. Bow hunting is very cool but I wanted to get my hands (but not the meat) dirty first with a rifle. 

I am planning to go through the process, just need to look at my funds , where to shop, and when I could get off work to hike to queens for the licensing process. 

Guys used to bow hunt near my parents place in westchester. My dog would always find the gut piles and bring them back to our house. 

• Like 1

The licensing office closes late on Mondays so I use to leave work early and head down there on Mondays.  As far as fund go, when you get into it, yeah, you tend to want a nice fancy firearm or what not but if fund is limiting and you really do want to hunt, there are some economic models that are just as good out there.

I can show you where to buy once you have your license.

Your welcome to come tag along on a bowhunt out east on public land if you like, you don't need a weapon to accompany someone on a hunt, it may introduce you on what to look for signs/travel routes ect.. and we may even see some deer

Danny,

I'd love to do that. If you're going out any weekend from now on and wouldn'd mind a tagalong, it'd be great to learn from you.

PM me if this is cool with you.

Thanks!

• Like 1