Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Youngest son Nick and I went to Geneseo this am . we were in our stands by 6am . It was cold but we managed . I had a small rack buck come in where I had driven the ATV . He was in the high grass and didn't offer a shot . He had walked behind my son who had seen a larger buck in the laneway . He was able to see it through the trees . We went up to our vehicles around 11:30 . 

At 2pm we went to different spots . I did some trimming and sat in my double chair blind . I didn't see anything in the afternoon but nick saw a couple doe and a half dozen turkeys . 

Might give it another try Thursday and then get ready for gun season . Havn't seen anyone hunting on the adjacent property all bow season . 

• Like 2

Was in my elevated blind at the pond on my SIL's property in Geneseo before 6am . Quite cold this am . I heard the 1st shot around 5:55 and another 17 before legal time . I stayed in my stand until 4:45 and never saw a thing . My youngest son was about 700 yards away in the flooded woods and got a small doe . My oldest son was about 700 yards south of me and got a large doe . So , it wasn't a bad day after all . 

• Like 2

What the heck is going on ? My oldest son and I went to Geneseo this am . He used his gun stand and I set up in the Laneway in a double chair blind . I had visibility to over 200 yards . Nothing came in . I saw nothing from 7 am to 4:30 pm . My son only saw the small spotted fawn that I had seen during Crossbow Season . Only heard 2 shots all day long and they were in the distance . We might try an afternoon hunt Friday . Bummer !

Laneway.jpg

Doe turned out to be a button buck . My oldest son and I did an afternoon hunt in Geneseo

Friday November 23 . I used my elevated stand at the pond bank . I hadn't slept well Thanksgiving night and felt real tired . I closed my eyes a few times but stayed awake . At about 3 pm what appeared to be a doe stepped out in the open less than 75 yards away . She moved into the weeds and I hoped I could get a good shot through them . If the deer moved further , it would be in the thickets . I put the 25-06 on the bi-pod , pulled the hammer back and fired . She dropped right where she stood . I waited a few minutes , got down , took a quick picture and got back in the stand . Around 4 pm my oldest son came down with his ATV and the sled . He said he would field dress it for me . I had the tag made out and when I went to attach it to and ear I realized that it was a button buck and not a doe . Anyway , it's in my son's freezer and it was one less tag to eat . :victory:

• Like 4

I am going to head for Geneseo around 11am today and hunt with two of my sons . Each of us have taken a deer from the property so far this gun season . 

It’s great your feeling better and getting a lot of hunting time with your boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I am going to head for Geneseo around 11am today and hunt with two of my sons . Each of us have taken a deer from the property so far this gun season . 

Geneseo Village Tavern for dinner as my suggestion   Great food and just looked at beer list: 2017 Goose Island Bourbon county stout/2017Bells black note stout and Sloop juice bomb IPA:drinks:    Glad you're out there hunting Eddie

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Got there around noon . My oldest son shot a small buck and almost had to float it out of the woods as the water is deep back there . My youngest son still wasn't feeling well and left before I got there . I sat in my pond blind stand until 4:30 and never saw a thing . Heard one single shot a ways off between noon and 4:30 . 

Went to my friend's property in Walworth to check my trail cameras . I have 5 there but was only able to pull cards from two . The swamp was flooded . I wanted to see if it would be worthwhile to hunt there . The roof on my hub blind was caved in and the roof was filled with water and slush . The only thing that saved it from being destroyed was that I had left a plastic lawn chair inside and the roof hub landed in that . I went back to the pole barn and got a Folgers coffee container , bailed everything out of the roof and popped it back up . I got lucky . The only deer that had gone by was at nighttime . 

MFDC6636.JPG

MFDC6640.JPG

• Like 1

Another exciting day in the Great Outdoors . I was in my elevated hub blind stand in Geneseo by 9:30 am and left at 4:25 pm today . Never saw a thing . I would have been just as well off sitting at the computer with my rifle . Neither of my sons saw anything either . Bummer !

Things get real tough when there are no other hunters moving around to push deer out of their hidey-holes. That's why I think there are times in the season when state lands are more productive. I remember back in the hey-days of the huge drives when deer seemed to be running everywhere. Guys used to run from one thicket to another with their monstrous deer drives and deer would come squirting out of every piece of cover. Now-a-days the hunters are all bundled up in their nice warm space-age garments snoozing at the base of a tree and a few hundred yards away the deer are all curled up snoozing at the base of a tree and that's pretty much the way deer season is spent after opening weekend.....lol.

• Like 1

Today turned out to be a good day . My oldest son and I arrived at the Geneseo property at almost the same time . Noon . Matt headed for the woods and I went to my elevated pond blind stand . It was a bit nippy out and I hadn't seen anything . Matt called me at 4pm and said he hadn't seen anything and didn't care about staying till sunset . He said he would walk through the thickets and see if he could push anything out . 4 doe burst into the north end of the corn field . The lead doe was really hauling butt . The other 3 were running and when they hit the opening . I fired and one of them went down . I could see her flopping in the field at about 130 yards and had to finish her off . 

A picture of a doe and myself . The red mark in the other picture is where the doe went down .

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

• Like 10

Went to my son's property in Honeoye Falls . Sat from 7:45 until noon . saw nothing . Took a break . Back in the stand by 2 pm and sat until 4:34 pm . Saw a neighbor's cat and a red fox . Just another excitig day in the great outdoors .

My youngest son and I are going to try an afternoon hunt in Geneseo Sunday afternoon . 

Nick and I sat in different spots and never saw any deer . It drizzled most of the afternoon . He was in a double chair blind and I was in my hub blind at the pond . Had quite a time driving the ATV through the muddy plowed field . Got out of the blind at 4:15 so I could drive back through the field while it was still light out . Going to give Tuesday afternoon a try and that will be it for the year . 

Sat in a hub blind at my oldest son's property for 4 1/2 hours . Heard 2 shots . it was the neighbor . He had dropped his muzzle loader and was checking to see if it was okay . Heard a shot south of me around 3:30 and then some ATV activity about a half hour later . I am guessing that someone scored a deer . It was pretty darned cold .

On the way home I had a coyote cross the road in front of me about a half mile south of the Wayne Central Bus Garage on Rt 350 . 

• 10 months later...

Went hunting in Geneseo with two of my sons . I had a Spike buck 20 yards from my stand and let the little guy walk . It was the only deer I saw all day . My youngest son took a shot at a buck and missed around 8:30. It went to the opposite corner of the woods and my son Matt shot it . Later Nick shot an 8 poing with his Savage 20 ga bolt action . Around 11 am ,Matt shot a doe . We took all 3 deer up to the truck , got something to eat and Matt took the deer to his home in Honeoye Falls . Nick used a different stand after lunch and I went back to the condo . Around 4:30 I heard a shot . Nick had just shot a doe . So , both boys got a buck and a doe and I got a cold . Happy for both of them . 

Nick's buck is on the yellow sled and it has some sort of hole in it's antler . Never saw anything like it before .

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

• Like 10