Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

I was avoiding telling about my boring sit yesterday . I was in the double chair blind by 6:40 am and stayed there until 11 am . Nuttin !  Left and came back around 1 pm . Checked the trail cam out by the ditch . No deer pics on there in about 5 days . Stayed until sunset . I should have taken a book to read . 

Going to give Walworth another try in the am . It's forecasted to be 28 degrees with a real feel of 21 degrees . I plan to hang out until around 10:30 . I have a grand daughter's chorus concert to attend at 1:30 in Honeoye Falls .

Saturday , I will give another try in Geneseo with my oldest son . Another cold day . Hopefully there will be some deer movement . I don't think the guys that lease the adjacent property hunt when it's below 50 degrees out . 

I was set up in a spot in the swamp in Walworth by 6:30 . It was quiet . No ducks or geese and it was cold . Sat there until 10:30 as I had to get home to shave and shower and get ready to go to my granddaughter's chorus concert in Mendon . Never saw a thing except a few squirrels . I pulled the cards from 3 cameras and had previously done this on Dec 2 ( 5 days ago ) . When I got home and downloaded the cards on two of the cams , there was one single doe picture and both were during the dark hours . Nothing has been traveling through the area . No doubt it's probably due to the fact that the water hasn't receded and the trails are pretty much under water . 

The most excitement I had in the am was when I was walking through some high grass and scrub brush . I was walking in the dark with my green light on and there was a racket on the ground . I thought it was a Walmart bag or some other blowing in the wind . It was a small Blue Heron . MY 1st thought was that maybe because the grass was high that it couldn't take off . I was going to try to grab it but had seconds thoughts about doing that . I figured it might panic and both of us would get hurt so I left it alone . Let Nature take it's course . 

Finally broke the ice (in more ways than one) yesterday . It was very very cold but I was in an elevated blind out of the wind for the most part . Never heard a shot until after 8 am . Somewhere around 10:30 a deer came out of the thick area and started up the field . It was over 100 yards and my binos were fogged up so I didn't even pick them up . It appeared to be a good size doe . I was hoping it would stop somewhere in an opening between the trees . It did but it was facing me .I hadn't taken a shot all season and took a head on shot while the deer was facing me . It didn't run but walked off slowly . I thought I had missed and waited about 15 minutes before going to check . I didn't see any blood where the deer was standing but when I got to the thick stuff where it had gone in , I saw blood . Thank you SNOW . I could see big blood spots where it had laid and then a trickle here and there when it moved . There were hoof prints all over in the thickets so it was deceiving . The deer was wandering all over . I saw where it went into the neighbor's field so I called him and told him what I was doing . No problem . 

When I walked into the woods my son said he saw a deer acting funny and saw that it was bleeding but it was way to far for him to shoot at . I decided to sit in a stand for a while as I was pushing the deer . My son said that he saw 5 deer come out of the thickets and meet up with another 5 in the back of the woods. After a half hour I got down and picked up the trail again . I found the deer - a Spike - He was 50 yards north of my SILs . Dragged him onto my SILs property and then had to make the long walk to get my ATV . All that walking and I was whipped . Got the ATV and sled and was able to get into the woods without burying the thing as it was wet back there and in the pond field as neither drains . 

Took the deer to my son's home . We skinned and cut it up after supper . It was frozen but we got it done . Lost the back left quarter as there was a lot of coagulation . 

And ... to think that I passed on 4 pointers and shot a spike but it was a good deer to get out of the gene pool . 

Here are a couple pics of the Spike , the view of where he was when I shot him and a picture of the buck on the trail cam . 

Spike 1.jpg

Spike 2.jpg

Spike 4jpg.jpg

STC_0099.JPG

• Like 12

Here we go again . I went to my son's property in Honeoye Falls and sat from 1:20 until 4:40 and never saw anything . Did I forget to mention that it was cold . The last half hour was the worst . My son runs his ATV on his property a lot so he had me wait until he drove out in case any deer were around I wouldn't get busted and give away the Hub Blind . I plan to go back again tomorrow . Being retired is pretty rough . 

Sat in a hub blind at my son's property in Honeoye Falls again today from 1:30 to 4:45 . No deer sightings . A few minutes past 3 I saw something go across the trail about 80 yards out . It was too big for a fox and had a long tail so it wasn't a deer . At 4:05 , it went back in the opposite direction . No idea what it was but my guess is that it was a coyote .

My son gave me a heads up where he saw a crap load of deer so I checked it out on the way home . On Rt 64 in Mendon , there was at least 20 deer in a field and across the road was another 20 . They know they are safe in the dark . Then when I was driving on County Road 8 some dipwad was tailgating me . A doe ran across in front of me and I hit my brakes . The guy behind me hit his also and almost went off the road . He backed off a few car lengths . 

I have a lot to do in the next few days and probably won't get out again until Tuesday which is the Finale of the Southern Deer Season .

• 9 months later...

Went to a friend's property in Walworth this am . Pitch black . There was a light rain so I sat in his pavilion near the woods . Around 8 am I saw a hen turkey and then watched several poults come down out of a tree about 50 yards away . Another hen came out of the brush and appeared injured . Anyway there was 2 hens and a dozen poults . NO DEER >>>>>>>

I wasn't hunting as I still don't have my strength back . I just had to be out there opening day . 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Went to a friend's property in Walworth this am . Pitch black . There was a light rain so I sat in his pavilion near the woods . Around 8 am I saw a hen turkey and then watched several poults come down out of a tree about 50 yards away . Another hen came out of the brush and appeared injured . Anyway there was 2 hens and a dozen poults . NO DEER >>>>>>>

I wasn't hunting as I still don't have my strength back . I just had to be out there opening day . 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Nice pics. Glad you got out even if just hunting with a camera. Shows some grit after what you went through. 

22 hours ago, Rob... said:

Nice pics. Glad you got out even if just hunting with a camera. Shows some grit after what you went through. 

Thanks Rob . I was advised not to go out but being stubborn went out anyway just to get it out of my system . I used two trekking poles to make the trip and it was a tough walk as I went into the woods and checked my cameras . . I still have a problem with equilibrium but didn't fall . There were enough trees to help keep me upright .:victory: Anyway , I am glad I got out there . 

• 1 month later...

Finally got out thanks to my two sons that hunt . Not steady enough to go it alone . Arrived at the Geneseo property at 5:30 . Put my gear on the ATV and drove down to the elevated hub blind at the pond . Saw a doe in the cut corn field at 7:05 . She was about 150 yards away . It was cold and when the sun came out the frost on the ceiling of the blind melted and started dripping where the ceiling panel and wall meets .

Real quiet for several hours . Around 2pm , I saw a small buck with a goofy rack come out of the thickets and go Wast . Then 2 doe ran from that area into the thickets . They came back out within 5 minutes and went West . About 15 minutes later 2 more doe left the thickets and went West . Around 3 pm another buck left the thickets and went in the same direction . 

Everything was at least 100 yards away . Since I don't have the crossbow sighted in for that distance , I never took a shot . :rolleyes:

My youngest son saw two coyotes early in the morning but too much small stuff in the way to take a shot . None of us got a shot but at least we saw some deer . 

• Like 5

Went to Geneseo with my oldest son yesterday . Drove my ATV to my elevated stand at the pond . Was in the stand by 6 am . Sat back and relaxed . It was a bit breezy . My son was in the woods about 500 yards away as the crow flies . All he saw was a small 4 point . He stayed there until 11:30 and went back to his truck as he brought a stand to set up for gun season . I hadn't seen anything and got down at noon . The damn ATV wouldn't start . I had to walk 1/2 mile to my car and get my Jump Starter . The ground was ankle deep in water and squishy so it was difficult walking for me as I still havn't gotten my strength and balance back . On the way , I had to duck under an electric fence and didn't quite get low enough . Spooked a fawn and was surprised that it was a small spotted fawn . Got the Jump Starter and headed back but grabbed one of my Treking Poles to help the return walk back to the pond . Before hooking up the Jump Starter I gave it another try . Didn't sound good but on the 2nd try , it started . Damn , it started . All that walking and I was whipped . 

Stopped at a ATV Dealer in Ontario today and bought an Interstate Battery . I had bought a 2008 Honda 420 Rancher new in 2009 and had the original battery (YUASA battery) . It only lasted for 9 years of usage . :crying: