Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Dilemma ---- We have about 20 people coming for dinner tomorrow . A lot of stuff to get ready for a big Thanksgiving dinner . I feel guilty when going hunting and leaving the wife holding the bag but I would expect there would be many hunters out there pushing the deer and it should be a good day to be out there . We aren't going to eat until about 4 pm but folks will be showing up around 1 pm . 

Well I still have a few hours to make up my mind . Saturday should be another good day to be out out there .

Trying to be pro active and going to Lowes to buy another 7 cu ft freezer . I would have purchased a 14 cu ft but it wouldn't fit through the doorway and I am not about to tear the doorway apart to make it fit . . 

Just checked the Geneseo weather on Accu-weather for tomorrow . 

7 am --- 20 degrees with a real feel of 2 degrees 

9 am --- 21 with a a real feel of 3 

11 am-- 25 with a real feel of 9 

snow flurries forecasted 

Gotta get my trailer unburried 

Sounds like a good day to stay in bed but ........ can't get a deer from the house !

I chickened out on tomorrow . Went out for dinner earlier and it was nasty , windy with grainy snow flurries and tomorrow is supposed to be worse . Friday will be cold 20 degrees but the wind is forecasted to be 2 - 3 mph . I think the deer will wait another day . 

The deer still aren't cooperating ! Was at my blind in Geneseo this am . Had to knock off a lot of snow and reinforce the tie downs . Sat until almost 11 am and never saw a thing . Starting around 9 am I heard a single shot and 3 minutes later another . This went on for at least 10 shots . I wonder if someone was sighting in their gun .

Took a walk to the pond field and back . Saw some human tracks where someone had come onto the property right where the posted signs were placed . Saw another spot where some tresspasser had come onto the property and walked around . They were probably hunting the property while my SIL came to our house for Thanksgiving Dinner . 

Got up to my car around 1 pm and had worked up a sweat . I was going to go back out but figured with the damp clothes with sweat , I would get the chills and left for the day . 

I thought there would be several hunters out today but if there was , I didn't see any and other than the goofy shooting , I only heard 3 distant shots .

Trying to be pro-active and purchased another 7 cu ft freezer the other day at Lowes . It was delivered this morning . Now all I need is a deer to put in it ! 

Will be coming home after 8:30 Mass tomorrow , change clothes and head for Geneseo . I have had great luck on that property over the years but the last 2 years havn't been good at all . I'm making a big sacrifice as my team plays at 4:05 and I will miss the 1st half . That's what recorders are for ........

Heading for Geneseo again tomorrow am . Taking the 2 man chair blind and going to try hunting the thick stuff . It's about 1 3/4 mile walk so if I get lucky , it will be a long drag . I have my trailer at the property but my ATV is out back . Oops ! I will be bringing the trailer back with me .

While doing some walking , I found where I can place a stand next year but a lot of trimming has to be done .

Re-evaluating the past 2 seasons , I need to find a different property / properties . The Geneseo property has been good to me over the years but not the past two . 

Got to Geneseo just before 6:30 . Got my gear out and pulled the sled out of my trailer that I had left there . Put the 2 man chair blind on it and started out as I had about a 3/4 mile hike and had to cross the creek . I got through 2 pasture lots , the creek , and was heading down the lane way . I was about 500 yards from where I was going to set up when I saw a doe about 150 yards away ( 7 am ) she watched for a few seconds as I approached and left . Another doe stepped into the lane way at the same spot and did the same thing . I thought that it was going to be a great day .

I set up overlooking to mowed horse trails where the deer normally come out of the thick stuff . It was cold and I should have walked slower so as not to work up a sweat . Around 10 am the sun showed up and it started to take the chill off . I got out of the blind at 11:30 and walked around a bit . Didn't do too much as the snow was still crunchy . Pulled the camera I had in the pond field .

Moved the chair blind and put in on the bank of the pond . This gave me an elevated look . The pond has all sorts of brush around it so the blind didn't stick out like a sore thumb . Nothing ! Left at 3:30 and headed back up . Pulled card from 2 other cameras . 

The only plus I had was there wasn't anyone walking around with flashlights !  :fie:

Helped my SIL with a couple jobs and went to Wal-Mart and Tractor Supply . On the way home heading East on Rt 5 & 20 , I saw at least 6 deer feeding in a cut corn field about 1/2 mile east of Wal-Mart . Damn ! 

Talked to a guy that we share a hunting spot with ..... we bow hunt and he , his GF and daughter gun hunt the area . He invited me to hunt with him and a few others in Fishers on Saturday so I am going to give that a try . Real nice guy and unselfish ! 

Met up with Alan at the Burger King in Fishers at 6 am . He led the way and it was like a convoy . He calls the hunting a Co-op and has to schedule when he wants to hunt with the land owners ( 4 days only ) . There were specific rules as to where to park , which direction to shoot , the line you had to be beyond before loading any guns , and no guts could be left on the property .

There were 10 of us and I was dropped off at a spot to watch over a gully . Heard shots here and there . Around 10 am , I heard 3 quick shots and all of a sudden 6 deer came hauling ass about 30 yards in front of me . They were too fast and it wouldn't have been a safe shot . The only possibility I had for a shot was a fork horn about 120 yards down the bank . I cranked off a shot while he was moving slow and missed . Climbed down the bank to check it out and no blood . Found out later that Alan shot it so someone got a deer . My hands and body were sooooooooo cold and i'm not sure that I like the accu-trigger on the Savage 220F .

Around noon I walked back to the car . It was almost a mile away and downhill . Got something to eat / drink and went back until 4 pm . Didn't see anything in the afternoon .

I was told that there was no hunting across the gully on the other side of a foot / bike trail as a couple of doctors own that property and don't allow hunting . I had heard shots over there and Alan said I must be wrong . One of the guys in our party hit a doe and trailed it over there and found a guy in "full camo" that finished it off . We were guessing that he wasn't supposed to be there . Heard several shots come from over there in the morning.

A couple of the crew were in their 80's . I asked Alan if we needed to show our AARP cards to hunt that property . Anyway I saw deer ........

• Like 1

I am curious as to what you don't like about the Accu-Trigger..  I have had the 220 for a few years and think the trigger is one of the things I like most..  Really gets you focused on squeezing..

The way I look at it, If everyone like the same thing, they would only have to make one model of everything.  I am just curious what it is you don't like..

Went to Geneseo this am . Set the 2 man chair blind on the pond bank next to some schubery for concealment . Around 9 am , I saw a blur running across the grassy area about 150 yards north of me and then it broke towards the woods . Don't know if it was a doe or buck . It was hauling butt .

Around 11:30 I walked back to my car about 1/2 mile away . Got something to eat  drink and then headed for the thick stuff . The land doesn't drain and it was sloppy walking . Lots of trails criss-crossing in that crap . Walked part of the woods and nothing . Went back to the blind and sat until 4:15 and left . 

Oh yeah , around 3:30 I heard 5 quick shots , then another quick 5 and then 5 shots spaced . It was a ways north west of me . Not sure what the shooter was doing .

Thanks...  let us know what you think after putting the rounds thru it...

I am amazed some times how accurate it is for a shotgun..  My one friend was very skeptical when I bought it and did not believe the articles written about it..  When i sighted it in for the first time I put 3 rounds thru it and had it dialed in hitting1.5 inches high at 60 yards. 

I then moved out to 100 yards and let him shoot 3 slugs thru it (3" Federal Barnes).  He is what I would consider an "excellent shot".  After 3 shots that formed a clover leaf at 100 yards, he was a believer...

We had about 8" of snow overnight . I cleared the driveway with the Snow Blower and felt fairly comfortable doing it as it was 17 degrees out . Thought I might go to Walworth this afternoon to my friend's property and sit out for a bit . Weny out to get the mail at noon . When that freezing breeze hit me , I changed my mind real quick . It is presently 20 degrees out . DDDDDDDDDamn !

I had considered going out this afternoon but changed my mind . I drove into Webster to get a few things . The roads were fair but some of the drivers on the "104 Corridor" were nuts . The right lane was traveling about 45 mph . Some dipsy lady was driving a bit below 40 mph in the left lane . Cars were driving around her to keep the traffic flow moving .

It was worse on the way home . The roads had been plowed but it was still snowing and it was slushy & slippery . Saw a couple of accidents on the way home . 

We might go out to dinner tonight as it's only 1 1/2 miles away but I am not going to drive anywhere to hunt . 

Got up at 5 am . Checked Accu-Weather and the temp was 8 degrees with a minus 4 degree Real Feel Temperatutre . Went back to bed .

Took care of some stuff around the house and drove to Walworth . Trudged through a foot plus of snow . Got to the blind and the roof was caved in . Cleared the snow off and popped it back up . It was okay . Sat out there for almost 4 hours not expecting to see anything . All I had seen on the way to the blind were older tracks . Could have been from the morning . 

I had my NEF Huntsman across my lap while trying to keep warm . Had the windows open facing West and North . They are low so I had to scootch down a bit . Around 3:15 5 doe came out of no where and ran across about 30 yards in front of me . By the time I raised the ML and got the hammer back , they were gone . If I had been in a tree stand or chair in open space , I might have been able to get off a shot . The windows were a restriction . Started out of the woods about 4:15 . The season sucked but at least I know there are 5 live does in Walworth . I put most of my hunting gear away when I got home . 

Didn't get anything during archery , Gun or ML but got to spend a lot of time outdoors !  :good:

I'm right there with you Eddie - a big zero but like you said, got to spend a lot of time outdoors. Just think, some people don't get to do that and never will. Poor suckers. Enjoyed reading your posts. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

• 9 months later...

Oct 1 -- Opening day . Yeeeehaaaaaaaa !

Heading for Geneseo in a few minutes . I plan to use a permanent stand in the am rather than spook everything on the way to the stand by the pond . I can use that for an afternoon stand . Hoping to see some deer action whether I get a shot or not . The sight of the 1st deer I see gets the heart pumping with the hopes that it will come near enough to get a shot . It would be sweet to fill a tag on opening day !

• Like 1