Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Didn't see anything while sitting for 3 hours . Gotta replace that chain-on stand as there isn't much depth to the seat and my ass hurt sitting on it . I plan to move a ladder stand that I have about 100 yards away and take down the chain-on . They must have been combining beans on the other side of the woods as there was a lot of racket over there .

On the bright side ..... I had a couple bowls of Venison Chili when I got home .

• Like 1

My son and I arrived at the Pittsford spot at about the same time . Got hunting clothes on and headed down the hill . I put out a couple of plain doe pee scent wicks and Nick sprayed a bit of buck bomb on the ground . We were in the stands bu 6:30 and legal time was 7:40 . Didn't see a damned thing all morning and we stayed until 11 am . Bummer ! This was the spot where I had shot a doe on the 11th .

It was overcast and the sun didn't show up . The air was damp and the temp was about 50 degrees .

• 2 weeks later...

Was in my stand by 6:30 after placing a couple of scent wicks . The only sighting was a small buck and a button buck between 7 and 8 am . Nothing after that . Got down from the stand and walked up the hill to my car . Had some coffee and a couple of granola bars . Moved to my old stand along the trail with my back to the gulley . Sat there until 4 pm and figured I had enough of nothing for one day and left . As i took my release off , the nut that holds the trigger arm fell off . What the heck ! What else could go wrong ? I found out later when I got to the car that I had left my seat pad on the stand . I wasn't about to go back and get it . I took my backup release out of my backpack in case an opportunity arose while climbing the hill . Stopped off at the hardware store on the way home and bought a replacement nut ..... M5 ..... 65 cents . Fixed the broken release .

Went to Marion this am and was in my double stand by 6:10  . Heard the 1st shot at 6:24 . Another at 6:37 . Four more at 6:45 and a barrage of gunfire at 6:55 . I never saw anything until 9:05 but heard shooting in all directions . Had a doe and fawn start to head my way but they changed directions and headed toward the woods . Damn . They were within 60 yards and upwind but too much brush to try a shot . Saw one run across a crop field thank's to some snow . Later I had a fawn run up a drive , stop and run back . That was it for the am . I was wearing my Milwaukee heated jacket in the am and the battery fizzled out after 3 hours .

I got out of the stand at noon and went to my car . Had a couple of sandwiches , coffee  and back in the stand by 1 pm . Put my sleeping bag over my shoulders and stayed toasty warm .Saw nothing all afternoon . My oldest son called me around 4:10 and said he was going to walk slow at the edge of the woods toward his brother and see if he could push something to him . I could barely make him out as he was across the field and in the woods . Thanks Blaze Orange . At 4:35 I heard a shot . I was packing up my gear and my youngest said he had shot and wanted to wait before checking it out as he wasn't sure about the hit . I thought , crap , it's gonna get dark . Well we started looking and couldn't find blood . Walked the woods and field in the dark and almost gave up as we still couldn't find any trace of blood . My youngest son thought the buck had made a right after running to the field but had run straight out and dropped and it was recovered . A real nice 8 point .

Although I didn't get a shot I saw 5 doe and my son got a beauty of a buck on opening day .

• Like 1

Arrived at Geneseo just before 6 am . Walked to my pod blind by the pond . Wow ! The guy who farms my sister in laws property cleared out a lot of small trees and crap from the pond field . I believe he is going to clear the whole area and put in some drain hose to run the water to a nearby ditch . that should help dry the field that stays wet year round .

Anyway , I got settled into the blind and waited . Between 8:45 and 9:30 I heard two shots from different directions . It had started snowing early and just kept coming down .

Around 10:30 I heard a shot beyond the woods followed by another and more for a total of 5 shots . It sounded like the shooter was moving during each shot . I wondered if he was chasing a deer . Funny !

Around 1 pm , after not seeing anything , I thought I would pack up and leave as I hadn't seen anything and I figured I had better be able to get my car out of the field as the snow had accumulated and I was hauling my trailer .

Some before and after pics from the same camera after a lot of overgrown was dozed and bush hogged ...

post-132-0-08790900-1416274492_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-67693600-1416274514_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-11735200-1416274641_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-80811900-1416274685_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-73459400-1416274717_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well , another wasted day in Geneseo . I got to the property at 6:30 and went down to my pod blind . The roof had caved in but the sides were fine . I popped it back up and then realized the fiberglass supports on 2 corners had come out so i pulled the ceiling back down , inserted the fiberglass ends and put it back up . Had a red fox trot on the trail about 20 yards away at 9 am . . Tried doing a squeak to get him to stop for a picture but he scooted off .

Heard maybe 4 shots all morning but never saw anything .

Around 11:30 I headed for my car to make a trip to Walmart where I purchased a golf ball retriever that extends . Got a cup of coffee to go with my sandwich as I had made a thermos of coffee but failed to put it in the car .....dumb , dumb ! I cut off part of the round end of the golf ball retriever and headed back to the pod blind . Nothing all afternoon .... nothing on the trail cam except a couple of trespassers . Closed up the windows at 4:15 and set the golf ball retriever against the block at the roof peek to keep it from collapsing again . If it works , it was only a $13 fix .

I heard 2 way off shots south of me in the afternoon .

Geneseo had always been good for me for getting deer . This year it has really sucked !

• Like 1

Went to a friend's property on Furnace about 1/2 mile from my house . Sat there for 2 1/2 hours and walked slow 1 1/2 hours and saw nothing . It's a wooded area with dirt bike racing trails and high weeds along the sides . Saw very few tracks . Will probably take the ML to Geneseo Monday .

I guess I will give Geneseo another try and head there in the am . I havn't seen anything in Ontario or Walworth . My sister in law has seen a few deer traveling across her lower pasture lot in Geneseo . She wants to get a couple PU truck loads of hay tomorrow so I could take a break from the action ( or lack of action ) and help unload it and run it up the conveyor . It's gonna be ccccccold so i will take my 2 man chair blind to at least be out of the wind .

Made it to Geneseo dark and early . Took the 2 man blind and set it into a brushy area near the creek where I had put a trail cam that I removed last week . Trimmed a few saplings , thorns , etc and set the chair blind up . It was a cold morning . Sat until 11:30 and then went to my car to warm up . Drove to town and got something to eat . Back to my sister in law's . Helped her put 30 bales of hay in her barn loft and then put my hunting clothes back on went back to the blind . I had noticed a tree that looked odd . Checked it out and it had a pretty good rub on it . There was a nearby sapling that was tore up pretty good . Packed my stuff up at 4:20 and headed for my car . All I saw all day was a possum at 4 pm .

Here are the rubs :

post-132-0-77554300-1418093775_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-82308500-1418093853_thumb.jpg

Was in my chair blind at 6:30 this am . Sat there until 11 and never saw anything except squirrels . Left and came back to the blind by 12:30 . Nothing . There were tracks across the pasture lot from previous days so I expected to see something but ......No . I got my stuff packed up at 4:30 and headed for the car . Left the property around 5 pm . As I drove down Lima road I saw 4 deer in a large open field about 1 mile from where I was hunting . Saw another 4 within the next mile . If it hadn't been for the snow , I might not have seen them . I might go to Mendon tomorrow afternoon .

• 9 months later...

Drove to my spot near the Pittsford - Mendon town line . I took my pole saw with me to the stand and snipped a few branches along the driveway . I was in the stand by 6:15 . Got everything ready then sat back and relaxed . It was a bit nippy but was hoping the cooling off would have the deer moving . At 7:10 I saw two bucks come out of a hedge row , cross the field and stop 50 yards from the opposite thick area . In a couple minutes they went into the thickets . One looke to be an 8 and the other was a 6 point . That was it . At 11 am , I decided to leave but cut some of the crap that was blocking shooting lanes . 

I may wait until tomorrow afternoon to go out again if my oldest son decides to hunt . 

Oh yeah , it was breezy and every once in a while a strong gust would come up .

I really wanted to get a doe with my new " Moog String "  !   :rolleyes:

post-132-0-52731200-1443730716_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-92958900-1443730753_thumb.jpg