Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Stupid is as stupid does ..... Put my hunting clothes on when I parked at the field in Geneseo . Didn't want to dress too heavy or it would screw up drawing the bow . Walked to fast to the stand . Set out a couple scent wicks and was in the stand by 6:45 . It was a bit nippy and I worked up a little sweat walking and getting set up . At about 7:50 I saw a doe way across the west field and thought it was going to be a great day . I had cooled down and by 8:30 I was COLD !

By 9:30 I couldn't handle it any more and got down from the stand to take a walk to warm up . I took a couple steps , looked down the lane way and there was a doe about 70 yards away . I quick got back in the stand and waited . She never showed up . Left at 11 am .

Went back to the stand at 3:30 and saw just one doe all afternoon .

If I had only stayed in the morning stand for a few more minutes I probably would have had a shot . Day-um !!!

• Like 2

Duh ! Another exciting day . I headed for Walworth this am and it was raining . When I got to the property it was still raining . It would let up and then start again . Waited for a while and when it stopped , I pulled my car into my friend's pole barn and put on my hunting clothes . Walked out to my blind and sat until around 10:15 . Never saw a thing .

There were duck hunters north of me and I heard 3 close shots across the swamp where no one should have been . I thought the duck hunters might force some deer onto the property I was on but that didn't happen . Bummer !

Went to Geneseo this am for an afternoon hunt . On the way I stopped in Webster to get some of the left over tags ( like I need them ) ..... Got 2 for 8F as there was a limited supply left for any 8 areas .

When I got to the property I repaired my SILs treestand as a couple of the pressure treated 2X4's needed replacing . I then cleared a couple of spots for a possible placement of Ground Blinds .

A couple hours later I headed for a ladder stand that's about 500 yards North of the stand I repaired in the am . Sat there until 5 pm and I saw were 4 doe and 1 buck way across the neighbor's property . Nothing came out until 4:30 .

It was cold and I was thinking there has to be a fine line between sitting 15' up in a tree with a bow freezing your butt off and being nuts !

All the crying and whining I have done this season about no deer being close or not getting a shot was blown this am . I drove to Pittsford and used my youngest son's stand .At 7:15 I spotted a doe behind me . She was downwind from me and traveled through the trees rather quickly . There was a second doe behind her walking slower . When she hit the opening , I drew and released my arrow and thought I had hit her . She moved off and just stood there . The 1st doe came back to her and they hauled butt . I waited 1/2 hour , got down and looked for my arrow . It was stuck in the ground . Mothing on it but dirt . A complete miss !

The stand is a 15' stand and another 5' higher than the ground I was shooting at so about 20' up and a 33 degree angle at an actual 12 yards . Should have been a chip shot !

Did I drop my bow arm ? Did I not bend at the waste ? I don't know . It was instantanious ..... I shot a couple practice arrows and noticed that the arrow jumped off the rest and next to the riser . It's a Trophy Ridge drop away and I wonder if the steep angle causes that . Didn't have any problems when I was practicing in the back yard this summer .

Anyway , I am quite disappointed with myself !!!

Fasteddie, was the pin you were using set for 20 yds. ? I have to aim low (heart) if a deer is less than 20 yds.  and I am in a stand 15 - 20 feet high , using my 20 yd. pin. I usually hit higher. I know this doesn't make sense to some but that is how I shoot.Missed a doe this year too by putting the 30 yd pin on it instead of the 20.Sometimes having to make a shot after sitting in a stand for a while is more difficult than target practicing. Don't let it get you down.As a friend of mine used to say "you can't miss them all ".

I have a single pin slider sight . It is set at 20 yards . It was dead on at both 10 and 20 yards in the back yard but at a lesser angle and only shooting at a 10 foot height .

At other spots that I hunt , I usually shoot a couple of practice arrows before getting down and it has been spot on .

I rushed the shot so I could take it before the doe was no longer in the clearing .

I agree that a clean miss is better than a bad hit and just wounding a deer.

Thanks all .........

Went to a stand in Pittsford this am . It was cold ! Saw a buck through some thick brush but he didn't come my way . Also saw a smaller buck and a anterless but didn't get a shot . At least I saw something . The corn is still up by the field near the stand but was cut the other side of the powerlines yesterday . Knocked off around 10 am as the wind was picking up and it looked like it was going to rain . Rain had been forecasted for 9 am but just got a little bit of Gropple .

Might give it one more try Monday but the weather doesn't look too great for that day .

Well fasteddie,guess what I did Sat. morning. Had 6 doe walk in to me, I was in my treestand.I shot under one of the adults at about 20 yds.As soon as I pulled the release I knew something didn't feel right..I was very cold and rushed the shot because I was thinking too much that if the doe walked forward I would lose the shot due to trees and also that 3 of the deer were right in front of me and I was worried they would see me.A clean miss but I am kicking myself none the less.I think I need to join a 3D league or something!

I went to my son'd stand in Pittsford this am . Was all set just after 6 am . Sat back and relaxed in the cold air . My oldest son wasn't hunting but came down and walked the thick stuff around 9 am to see if he could push anything to me . Nothing ! There were some Goose hunters about 300 yards south of me . Heard a few shots from their direction .

Around 10 am , my son came to the stand and we removed his stands as we don't gun hunt there . We have permission to Bow Hunt that particular section . It was overcast and rain was forecasted for the afternoon so I went home . It has been raining for a few hours so far .

Don't know if I will get back out to bow hunt again during the remainder of the archery season unless it's at my friend's property in Walworth and that would have to be evenings .

Almost forgot . On the way down the trail , it is fairly steep . There was frost on the wet grass . I slipped and fell face 1st down the hill . Got my bow out in front of me so I wouldn't land on it . Glad no one was there to see the spectacle !

Well , I failed to connect this Bow Season so yesterday I took all of my bow hunting gear out of the Subi . Washed my camo gear and put it away . Got out the gun hunting clothes and re-arranged the backpack . Got the shotguns out as well as some ammo .

I plan to try out the Savage 20 ga bolt action from a stand or ground blind and the Winchester 12 ga pump if I walk through the thick stuff and go to the woods . 

The car is gassed up and ready to go . 

Got to my spot in Geneseo by 6 am . Just before I got to the spot where I wanted to set up the blind , I spooked 3 deer . I assumed they were doe as all I saw in the darkness was 3 tails . 

Heard shots at 6:20 . Legal was 7:04 am . Around 6:50 I heard 1/2 dozen shots in various directions . At 7:20 I had a deer coming my way . I checked it in the binos and it was a spike . He came within 60 yards and I decided to pass on the little guy . At 7:30 an 8 point came out of the gulley and hurried across the far end of the gulley pasture . A few minutes later I head a shot and hoped the neighbor didn't shoot the buck . At 7:50 the 8 point came back across the field at a pretty good clip . I ranged him at 136 yards . Too far for a moving shot with the shotgun . 

Heard probably around 3 dozen shots between 6:20 and 8:30 . Then nothing . At 10:45 I took the loppers into the pasture lot and trimmed out a couple spots where I can put my 2 man blind next week . Went up to my SILs to help her with a couple jobs then back to hunting . I walked the laneway . Checked 2 trail cams . Took a slow walk through the thick stuff and then back to the blind . 

It was quiet until 3:50 when I heard 7 shots fired . Then silence . At 4:55 I saw a spike walk through the middle of the adjacent field . Checked him with the binos . Looked like the one I passed on in the am . His left spike was shorter than the right . Thought he did pretty good getting through the 1st day . About 5 minutes later I heard a couple shots coming from the direction the buck was traveling . 

On the bright side I found my missing camera . It was on the adjacent property and unlocked . I knew it was mine as it was a Wildgame camera in a Moutrie lock box . The lock and cable were missing and there was nothing on the card . It had the styrafoam blocks I used to fit the camera in the box with my address label on the bottom . It also had the ratchet strap that I improvised to hold the lock box to a tree . Normally I wouldn't have gone on that proprty , even though I have permission , as other guys hunt it . I guess it was just fate ! 

Drove to Geneseo this am and took my 2 man chair blind with me . Set it up in the dark where I had trimmed a spot in the gully lot . I knew it would be windy but I was hoping to catch deer either crossing the pasture lot going in or coming out of the gully . I was all set by 6:20 . It sure as heck was windy . I had the chair blind tucked in pretty good so it didn't move much . I had a bank behind me and I could hear the wind howling up above . I was thinking , what the hell am I doing out here ? 

Heard a single shot in the distance around 6:50 . It was the only shot I heard all day long . I sat in the stand until about 11:15 and then got out and went up to my car . I walked along the gully bank on the way up and kept checking for any deer . I figured if I got one , I had the rest of the day to get it out of there . Didn't see a thing . I fixed my SILs mailbox and headed for town to get something to eat . 

When I* got back it was still blowing hard and started to sprinkle . It was forecasted to rain in the afternoon and I figured I had enough for one day . Got my shotgun and backpack from the barn and headed out .

Stopped off in Henrietta and gave my youngest son a anterless permit for 8F . He has permission to hunt a spot in Marion where he can use his rifle but I am still good with the permits I have . All I need is for some deer to cooperate ! 

I'll be back there Wednesday ..........

Good luck Eddie! It is supposed to be around 20 here but I can not wait to get out now that the flippin wind has calmed down! I got up at 5 am this morn and 24 mph still! Went back to bed! Second day in a row and Sunday morn I was to chicken to get in a tree.

It was 29 degrees here in Ontario when I headed out at 5 am . When I got off at the Livonia exit ( #9 ) it was 24 degrees . When I got to my SILs home on Lima road , it was 19 degrees . I had a double pair of socks on and it didn't take long for my feet to get cold in the chair blind that I had tucked back into some thick stuff . Stayed there from 6:10 am to 11 am . Checked out the gully lot and went to my vehicle .

Removed a couple of Real Estate signs in the village of Geneseo , got something to eat and went back to the property . Watched the GVHC riding across the property way out with the hounds on the trail of a fox . Saw a doe hauling butt across an open field that the fox hunters kicked out .

Went back to the blind and stayed there until 5 pm . Another dismal day . The clock is ticking ! 

Wind still a problem?

No --- the wind was 5-6 mph and coming from a southerly direction . I was on the north side of the gully pasture . 

Oh yeah , the guy I do signs for was on Vine Valley Road near Middlesex . He said he had to stop his truck and wait for 10 doe to cross the roar just up from the trailer park . The deer know where they are safe !

• Like 1

Heading out for Geneseo in a few minutes . Don't know how long I will last in this cold weather . Looked at the temps vs Real Feel temps . Ughhhhhhh ! Fairly strong Westerly wind . Makes me cold to think about it .

Hope ther will be some hunters out there moving the deer . Looks like the same type of weather for the next few days ........ cold and windy . Where the hell is that Global Warming ?  B)

Another exciting day in the great outdoors . Got to my blind at 6:30 . Kept everything closed up . Legal time was 7:12 . Heard the 1st few shots at 6:50 . Got out of the blind at 10:30 after seeing absolutely nothing even though I had heard several shots in various directions . 

Walked down to the field with the thick stuff . Swapped cards in a trail cam . Replaced a Posted Sign that someone moved . Worked my way through the thick crap and found a spot with potential for a Bow Stand for next season . Needs a bit of clearing for shooting lanes . Got into the woods --- real wet as the land doesn't drain . Checked out my old permanent stand and the ladder rungs need to be replaced to be safe

. Grabbed an old lawn chair and headed back . 

My arm was bothering me so I slung the shotgun over my shoulder  When I got up near the old pond I heard a noise . One doe hauled butt up the lane way and another crashed through the pond . No shot . Sat in a stand near the pond for an hour and saw nothing .

Well , back to the blind . Stayed there until 3:30 . During that time I saw a doe come across the field and hung around for about 15 minutes 300 yards away . After she was out of sight a small buck did the same thing . Heard more shooting and saw a buck and 2 doe running down the middle of an adjacent field . Later I saw 1 more doe travel across the field I was in . The shooters had the deer moving today . 

9 hours in the great outdoors and I had finally had enough ...... Did I forget to say it was cold and windy with some snow flurries .......... Caught a couple of white-outs on the way home .