I messed up.. need help

ridgerunner88

So we have this old Remington 788 .308 that we are restoring and at the moment it is disassembled.

I was cleaning the metal parts that we are keeping and went to take the bolt apart and think I messed things up.

They wont screw apart because I skipped the step of cycling the bolt so the gun is cocked.

Now the firing pin assembling is stuck in the current spot, it should be up further in the bolt plug.

e3d180f1d588e2079fa53f8dd6fd25b0.jpg

First thought is ok just stick everything back into rifle and cycle the bolt. Well two problems with that.

1. The trigger we have is disassembled and in pretty bad condition, not sure if it can be used.

2. When I go to slide the bolt back in, it only slides in backwards.

a7d0f4a245f4c530fae51ab3594639fa.jpg

How can I fix this situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to youtube and type in Remington 788 bolt disassembly, you will find videos that will help you solve your problem.
Al

After I messed up that is what I did, watched this video and it showed me where I messed up but not how to fix it. No other video on YouTube addresses my issue.

Can you get the silver piece to slide back into the firing position? I believe that’s the firing pin.  You might have to give it some love to slide back, but it should go back and you can move the bolt handle around to the open position. 

It is locked in pretty good, wish it was that simple.

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Look up videos on taking down a model 700 bolt.  There is a shoelace method to get it back in the cocked position.  I think it may work for you.

I was going to suggest that one also but I got a phone call........

Glad it worked for you!!

• Like 1