2 days in the woods and nothing

Vince1

So I spent my first two days in the woods, all day sits. would get in stand about 10 am or so and sit the day out. at about  5 30 6pm I get outa my stand and scout back to my car as I wasn't to interested in dragging a deer over a mile in the dark.

wouldn't hear a deer till late afternoon around 4pm or so and i moved my stand twice and on both days late afternoon i could just hear em, never saw one. its thick where i hunt.

post-3352-0-64650100-1380910004_thumb.jp

post-3352-0-41734000-1380910011_thumb.jp

there is a grassy field close to where i hunt im thinking about heading their but ive scouted the area im hunting pretty good and i know they are there, just need to get a good bead on the trails they are using

funny thing is i havnt seen one rub. but i have seen plenty of bear crap all over where i hunt and i can see where the bears have been tearing down the trees.

kinda keeps me from going in to early as i don't wana walk up on a bear and surprise him.

do deer generally hang out in areas where there are bear? or do they keep it moving?

there is another hill just a ways over were there are a lot of deer sign and i havnt seen much beer poo over there. freaks me out less to be over there.

I don't have alot of experience with bear-deer interactions. What I would say is try the other spot and see if you can get in for more seat time at the right time. You'll get burned out sitting those long hours before the rut hits or just get frustrated and make mental mistakes.

• Like 1

yeah, just a pain in the ars  to move my set up around. thing is heavy. Heading back up in the AM, gonna give this spot one more day and shift my stand to a trail maybe 50 yards away that i think i hear them walking late afternoon.

after that im gonna hit a hillside they are bedding down on. the northside is all overgrown with thick brush and the south side is creek bed and oaks.

gonna take me a while to get tired of it as i think i am gonna invest in another stand and just lug my climbing sticks in and out with me to save the one headache i have right now

^ Agreed. Your first mistake is getting into the woods at 10 am. They move early. All you are doing is pushing deer that late in the morning. And you are exiting the woods right before "Prime Time" hours. Deer move better an hour or two before sundown.

Don't be afraid of the dark. Invest in a good head lamp.

• Like 1

I sit all day, starting very early....... If you check your moon rise and moon set times, often I will enter the woods while moon is up, watch it set, darkness, darkness, cold, darkness, sunrise. (pretty spooky to be in the dark woods)

If you are in a pressured area the other hunters will drive them to you...

Best wishes.

lol vince I hear you man! Me and frank were at the same place hunting on foot.  I jumped about 8 deer down by the grass field off of p13.  Tons of bear scat and some pretty impressive scrapes.  I would have had a good shot on the deer I jumped if the brush wasn't so thick.  It was pretty impressive hearing the bucks wheez at me! I tried calling them back down but as soon as they got a sniff I was busted.  That park comes alive during rifle season as the deer will move more later on during the rut.  Beautiful park though I ran into a beautiful grey crane, big fat black rat snake, and a ton of squirrel and duck.  I was going to go back today but I think I am going to go fishing instead.  If you go back later on in the season your going to see that the parks brush dies off and visibility is much improved.  Better luck next time!

lol vince I hear you man! Me and frank were at the same place hunting on foot.  I jumped about 8 deer down by the grass field off of p13.  Tons of bear scat and some pretty impressive scrapes.  I would have had a good shot on the deer I jumped if the brush wasn't so thick.  It was pretty impressive hearing the bucks wheez at me! I tried calling them back down but as soon as they got a sniff I was busted.  That park comes alive during rifle season as the deer will move more later on during the rut.  Beautiful park though I ran into a beautiful grey crane, big fat black rat snake, and a ton of squirrel and duck.  I was going to go back today but I think I am going to go fishing instead.  If you go back later on in the season your going to see that the parks brush dies off and visibility is much improved.  Better luck next time!

hehe hey Aaron,  sorry i missed you guys. i was parked right near you guys, stopped in the visitors center to check out some photos to.

i KNOW the dear are in there just a bit iffy about walking up on a bear.read a post where a guys says its a one in a million chance of crossing a bear up in sterling but i see the sign all over the place. passed a dead black snake as well, im pretty sure it was a rat snake, had one as a pet before and it bit me so i know its not venomous :)

definitely gonna head back for rifle, im about a half mile past were all the bear bottles end :) hope that's far enough in. everytime i came on a spot that looked nice i would see some kinda trash somewhere, some looked new and some looked like they been there for ages. thought i was scouting humans for a second

also, no need for selfies in a tree,

NO idea what a selfie is, first year out im still learning. i was heading back out this morning but decided it better for me to reduce my pack weight as there were some things that i know i am not gonna need after being out there two days and not using any of it.

also i have a set of knives that is way overkill as it weighs prolly two pounds with the holder when i only need to carry the gutting knife and the skinning knife, figure wraping it in a bandana is just as good a holder

got like 3 cheap flashlights when, like someone else suggested i only need one good headlamp. was looking around to find a good one. saw one that can light up a hundred yards in front of you, figure that will be great for going in at night.

hehe im a work in progress

• Like 1

Sounds like you are doing some things right Vince as was stated in some of the other posts deer move early in the am and closer to sun down 10 am getting in the stand is a litte late for my area about an hour or so before sunrise most of my kills hapen just as the shooting time is upon me dont pack to much as you will get tired just going to and from the site I do some hunting up north and in maine the best things to take with you are one good gutting knife in a sheth not rapped in a bandana if you slip or fall might stab your self then your in a mess a good small compass a good head lamp a small first aid kit( if your a long ways out ) 2of 3 bottles of water some lunch if your useing a stand get a light weight climber better that hualing your your climbing steps back and forth and most of all get to where you know the deer are like the othe side of the hill you were telling us about and once your set up stay there Deer move at all times of the day and most of all be safe and have fun its one of lifes greatest things to do what we do good luck ooooo yaaa and if theres bear thats a plus they are tastey too lol  

• Like 2

Selfie = picture of self

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Ah didnt think much of it. Seen pics of guys in treestands and with deer all the time.

Definitly gonna be headin back out tonight. Will move my stand a little better and hunt it tmw all Day

Yup get in before light and dont come out until after dark. They tend to move mostly at first light and dusk like others have said. I dont do to many all day sits. I usually go home for a couple mid day. Get some food and catch a nap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by jesse.james

Vince,

A. Selfie is not a hunting term.  It's what all these kids are doing, posting pictures of themselves in their bathroom mirrors flexing or shaking that bootie.  You're really showing your age.  Just playing with you, bro.

B. Due to the heat wave, most deer are pretty much bedded in the shade some where during the day.  You'll see the most activity right when the sun is coming up.  You want to get to your spot when it's still dark out and settled in, plus an additional 1/2 hour to an hour to let everything forget you just trampled through.  Deer starts to leave their feeding ground and head back to bed when they see the sun is coming up.  Normally, through out the day, they would move here and there but in this heat I find that they don't.  Then when the sun is going down, the wake up and start heading out to feed again since the temps are cool again.

• Like 1