Deer regs decisions coming

SteveB

as i said before i pay for my tags it should be up too me too shot what i want im not i trophy hunter i like hunting for the extra meat thats why i take does i think ever one should be able too pick what they want too shoot

Completely agree.

Sent from Outer Space

• 1 month later...

I do not often post on here but I read a lot. My view is coming from an avid deer hunter and a crop farmer. I would pass every buck for the next five years if I knew my neighbors had to do the same. The 1.5-3.5 yr old buck does not eat nearly as many soybeans in my fields as the herds and herds of does that feed all night long. Antler restrictions will not take food off the table. To me killing a young buck is like taking a 9 month old angus to the butcher you are wasting potential.

However with that being said I also believe if you live off the land and I'm talking cabin in the woods no electric, no running water, outhouse kind of living you should be able to harvest what ever you want.

Also if you shorten the season you will hurt the farmers more because every day of the season more does get shot. less does = more crops left in field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a trophy hunter, I admit it.  I would not and do not shoot young deer.  With that said, let me play the devil's advocate:

There are a A LOT of people who rely on deer season to put food on the table.  I have family members who eat venison all winter long.  Instituting AR is great for a guy like me who just wants to hang something on the wall, but how does that impact a guy who NEED's to shoot a deer to provide for his family?  Hunting isn't jsut about the rack (to me it is, lol, but not to everyone).  A good 3.5 year old 6 walks by, like 90% of NYS would let that walk?  not a chance.

And don't say "shoot a doe."  In WNY, where I am, Doe permits are limited and hard to get (not sure about other parts of the state).  We have an abundance of Doe's so I am not sure the logic behind why they are so limited.

I believe witih an AR in place, you would need to allow people to harvest more does as a comprimise to that so people could fill their freezer.

With all that said, bring on the AR!!!  lol

I spend every possible day in the stand. I don't shoot small bucks. I would love to see a shorter season. The guys who only get a few days are still going to shoot their deer. But it gives bucks a better chance of survival. I am totally against a state wide AR, I don't want Uncle Sam to tell me a buck isn't big enough for the freezer as much as I don't want him telling me how many rounds in my mag. Just my .02$

I would love to see a shorter season.The guys who only get a few days are still going to shoot their deer. But it gives bucks a better chance of survival. I am totally against a state wide AR,

If there is a shorter season, you don't think that makes it more difficult for the ones that only get out on weekends? if a hunter hunts the weekends and Thanksgiving. That gives them 9 possible days afield. (if we are talking about regular season which is the majority of NY's deer hunters)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

The season is definitely too long! Especially now that they moved archery up 2 weeks.  The deer season is almost 3 months now!!  That is crazy.

The deer are basically in survival mode for 6 months out of the year (3 months of the harshest part of winter and 3 months of being hunted).  The toll it will take on deer will be felt for generations.

throw in a youth shotgun hunt now in the early season when deer are still somewhat "normal." AND then the possibilities of cross bows during archery.  UGH!!!  Too many changes in favor of hunters....

Instead of a Cornell poll based on a random small sampling (and we all know polls never are skewed),

Why not have it be a mandatory questionnaire for all hunters getting their tags.

No more made up claims of support/non support from biased sources.

I asked Jeremy Hurst this- he replied it would cost too much. Mind you these hunters were randomly selected, though geographically selected (cant be random then, now can it.???). I asked to partake and was denied.

Its all trumped and doped...and as always in NY money driven...you and the deer dont count unless license sales are effected

This is ridiculous. For in stance, opening weekend, I shot a spike BY CHOICE. I pay for my tags, $98 and am a young hunter. Want to get some kills under my belt and some meat for the freezer. WE ARE paying for our hunting license, WE should be able to choose what deer we want to harvest, whether it's a spike or a mature 8 pointer. Voluntary antler restrictions is the only logical choice they have in that article in my mind, but if they really wanted to find out what hunters want they would make us do a survey when we go to buy our tags next year. Instead they take a cheap way and only do a few hunters. This is overall stupid in my mind. Although New York has some large deer harvested, we all know and I have said many times that it will never be an Illinois or Texas type of state, no matter how many dumb regulations they pass.

This is ridiculous. For in stance, opening weekend, I shot a spike BY CHOICE. I pay for my tags, $98 and am a young hunter. Want to get some kills under my belt and some meat for the freezer. WE ARE paying for our hunting license, WE should be able to choose what deer we want to harvest, whether it's a spike or a mature 8 pointer. Voluntary antler restrictions is the only logical choice they have in that article in my mind, but if they really wanted to find out what hunters want they would make us do a survey when we go to buy our tags next year. Instead they take a cheap way and only do a few hunters. This is overall stupid in my mind. Although New York has some large deer harvested, we all know and I have said many times that it will never be an Illinois or Texas type of state, no matter how many dumb regulations they pass.

Why can't we be an Illinois or iowa? Western ny has a very large qdma chapter and harvest large bucks. It has to do with nutrition but the largest Factor in harvesting big deer is letting them age. I'm all for meat hunters. Guess what. .bigger bucks have more meat. Voluntary ARs won't work because you have too many brown its down hunters. If you are in a hunting lease with others or state land you need 100% participation. You won't get it most the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Why can't we be an Illinois or iowa? Western ny has a very large qdma chapter and harvest large bucks. It has to do with nutrition but the largest Factor in harvesting big deer is letting them age. I'm all for meat hunters. Guess what. .bigger bucks have more meat. Voluntary ARs won't work because you have too many brown its down hunters. If you are in a hunting lease with others or state land you need 100% participation. You won't get it most the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I don't agree the last 3 bucks I have shot were all over 3 1/2 one of them was 5 1/2 and not one scored over 110 inches. W NY has potential but not in my neck of the woods. It doesn't bother me at all. If I kill the biggest buck I see for the year I feel like I have succeeded. I have totally accepted I will never shoot a 180" buck.

If there is a shorter season, you don't think that makes it more difficult for the ones that only get out on weekends? if a hunter hunts the weekends and Thanksgiving. That gives them 9 possible days afield. (if we are talking about regular season which is the majority of NY's deer hunters)

I am in northern zone so it is way more than nine days. Ohio only has a 7 day gun season how do they succeed?

Again I must say there is a NY above the thruway.  Over the years I have seen the season in the northern zone get longer with early archery starting 9/27 and late ml ending around mid december. I have taken a few very nice mature bucks over the years. As far as these suggestions go, I do not see much value to them in my area.  Putting ar in my area is a joke.  I love how no one wants so shoot a 1.5 spike because he needs to mature, but have no problem shooting a button buck and sticking a dmp on it.  I do not see how it is legal for one and not the other.  Just my observations.  In my area, I get a dmp about every 5 years.  I own land, but do not use that to get a dmp.  To me that is like a privilege.  As far as I am concerned the land owner privilege for that should go away.  A fair lottery for everyone.  When I see approximately 25 deer a season, I am not going to be happy to have my time shortened and be told what I can and can not shoot. I may as well not buy a license.  I spend a lot of money on seed gas and other things to make my land better for deer and then better for the hunters.  I have 250 acres and control of  a neighboring 200 for a total of 450 acres. We all voluntarily let small bucks walk and if you shoot a button buck on my land that is a 100 dollar fine.  You would be surprised how picky guys get then.. Not only do the young bucks walk, the young does do also as no one wants to take the chance.  However they walk across the property lines and get blasted by the neighbors.  Other than me being able to say I did not shoot a young buck, nothing is accomplished.  The only exception is a new hunter has the freedom to harvest anything legal.  Show me proof that it works and I will still say no.  

What is the fascination with antlers ??   Do you use them as a coat rack ?

I'm not sure what the fascination is with them but I think its the same fascination we get about catching big fish. It's true you can't eat the antlers but I bet their isn't a guy here that would pass up a 180 inch ten point to shoot the 3 pointer behind it. There just is something about a mature buck that makes you start shaking uncontrollably and you don't know why, even your toes are shaking. I haven't had a small buck give me buck fever, don't know why only the big racks do it.