Deer regs decisions coming

SteveB

But here is the problem with that. These guys go up to camp and have a great weekend. They hunt hard during the day, when done hunting they have even more fun at night. If you limit the tags or even shut it down these guys are not going to pay the membership fees to go to camp to drink and play cards, you can do that at home for free. These guys, and many like them, love the hunt regardless if they see 20 deer on watch or none. You start regulating like that these hunting camps will shut right down.

And that is the other side of the argument for sure.  Hunting ultimately should be about enjoying and respecting the outdoors and your friends / family!  The main reason I hunt is for this purpose.

Those same people can't be hypocrites then and bitch and moan that they didn't see any deer or the deer hunting sucks!  Because for all the ones you mentioned, a whole lot of them are the first to shoot their mouths off about the lousy hunting too!  lol

And, btw, it isn't neccessarily a fact, as it is a fear that people have.

I mentioned a ways back in this post that I have the priviledge of hunting in Utah every other year because I have family there.

They are the same way, it is 4 brothers, 2 brother-in-laws, a dad and a nephew.  GREAT group of guys.  The fact is, the unit we hunt you can draw a tag every other year (to manager proper deer herds).  Guess what, we look forward to that every other year trip a whole lot!!!  We wouldn't shut that trip down because we can't do it every year.  It almosts makes it even more desirable because you can't do it every year.

So, for my money, i think NYS would be just fine if they had some regulations to manage deer herds.

Yes this is true, But this also brings me back to my point about there being so many hunters in this state, and how you can't compare this state to others in that sense. If there were the same number of hunters as in IA there would only be two hunters per square mile state wide. These low density deer areas would likely have one hunter per many square miles. With that few hunters there would be no reason to have to limit tags. Imagine having only one hunter border a 330 acre chunk of land. You would not have limits at all.

Edited by dhuntley2

Yes this is true, But this also brings me back to my point about there being so many hunters in this state, and how you can't compare this state to others in that sense. If there were the same number of hunters as in IA there would only be two hunters per square mile state wide. These low density deer areas would likely have one hunter per many square miles. With that few hunters there would be no reason to have to limit tags. Imagine having only one hunter border a 330 acre chunk of land. You would not have limits at all.

So, let me ask you a question:

Would you rather....

A) Hunt every other year and have a very positive experience (see lots of deer and good quality deer)

B  )Hunt every year and continue to see little to no deer and at best scraggly little 1.5 year old 4 points?

Whats more important to you personally?  The quality of the experience, or simply being out more often regardless of the experience?

No right or wrong answer, to each their own.  just curious.  Me personally, I would be option A.

Edited by beachpeaz

Me personally I would hunt how I hunt now. I won't shoot a buck unless it is  3.5 or older, and I have the opportunity to kill many does. This is my choice to hunt this way, I am also in a very heavy rifle area, (northern zone) and I will hunt with my bow all year long, except a few hunts with the rifle. These are all my choices that I make for myself, why should our extremely regulated lives be regulated even more? However If the two options are hunt every year and only see 1.5 year olds or hunt every other year and see good quality and quantity, then yes I am choosing the same as you. But my hunting now is on a decent chunk of land and I see many deer. And judging by your picture you have good hunting opportunities now too. For me, with some hard work and a few years, our decent hunting ground could turn into great hunting ground.  

So, let me ask you a question:

Would you rather....

A) Hunt every other year and have a very positive experience (see lots of deer and good quality deer)

B )Hunt every year and continue to see little to no deer and at best scraggly little 1.5 year old 4 points?

This is a very tough question. I rely on the venison to help my family stretch our beef as far as we can. Right now we're getting 2 years from a side of beef, suplemented by venison. I don't give half a damn how many points are on the bones sticking out of the deers head that I can't eat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Want better and more bucks...make it so you have

to apply for a dmp for bucks not just doe...and if not that

then do away with doe permits and make it mandatory one

doe tag a year and make it earn a buck tag....basically

you can't shoot a buck till you fill your doe tag make this for

gun and bow....but none of this will matter if there's not

enough dec to enforce said rules....around here it takes

dec 2 hours to respond to any call.....those who want antler restrictions

mainly are people who own or lease property...which is fine but

when i hunt on land wheretheres no dec around how does that help us...

cause people around here don't care

This is a very tough question. I rely on the venison to help my family stretch our beef as far as we can. Right now we're getting 2 years from a side of beef, suplemented by venison. I don't give half a damn how many points are on the bones sticking out of the deers head that I can't eat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I agree i don't head hunt eathier...it would be nice to

shoot a big buck around here where i hunt but i don't

think a Ar will fix that.... i meat hunt don't care if its buck or doe

if i have the tags its in the freezer and could care less about horns

I honestly think that before anyone tries to come up with a solution, they should hunt in every wmu and experience ot before telling those who do hunt there how they need to hunt and manage their deer herd

I agree, one of the guys with a lot of big bucks in their area should invite me up for a hunt, and in exchange they can come hunt with me and see nothing......any takers?

• Like 2

Id like to see the seasons open at the same time. No more northern and southern zone dates. This year bowhunting i heard alot of rifle shots . I was wondering if guys were shooting deer with rifles and tagging them as northern zone kills. Make the first week of gun buck only and have a couple doe days. On antler size dont really care. The jackers usually get most of the big ones in my area.

Edited by Fishon

My club is in 3A. AR has done nothing there. In fact we stopped doe shooting 5 years before they stopped issuing doe permits for 3A. We are seeing gack year after year. This year I got a ratty 5-pt and 1 doe on a trail cam over three months. And this is next to a food plt. Opening week saw a spike, 4-pt, 6-pt that isn't legal and a few does. The lady at Fur Fin and Feather said there is a genetic problem that the bucks aren't growing brow tines, so what should be a 6-pt is just a very high and wide 4-pt. Before AR we shot two of those, beautiful spread and long tines but 4-pts. I don't know if it's poaching or the lack of farming but like the others said 3A is not recovering.

Bubba

I not only agree with the "swapped hunt" idea but actually proposed/offered it at one point on the DMP swap thread last year. Instead of all the swapping of tags why not just offer a chance to have others walk a mile or sit 8 hours in your boots/stands. I think it would do several things really, build a sense of hunting community, provide new hunting experiences, and add a lot of insight into what it's like to be the other guy/gal. Granted not all people will mesh, as personalities and hunting styles need to be compatible at least at some level. But I think people can usually get a sense of who they might hang out with or be comfortable around based on the vibes they get from the posts they read. There would be no guarantee however regarding the actual experience I guess because it would be like a blind date with guns....hahaha! 

My club is in 3A. AR has done nothing there. In fact we stopped doe shooting 5 years before they stopped issuing doe permits for 3A. We are seeing gack year after year. This year I got a ratty 5-pt and 1 doe on a trail cam over three months. And this is next to a food plt. Opening week saw a spike, 4-pt, 6-pt that isn't legal and a few does. The lady at Fur Fin and Feather said there is a genetic problem that the bucks aren't growing brow tines, so what should be a 6-pt is just a very high and wide 4-pt. Before AR we shot two of those, beautiful spread and long tines but 4-pts. I don't know if it's poaching or the lack of farming but like the others said 3A is not recovering.

yeah, I would think that if even the AR's did nothing to produce better bucks, that coupled with the no doe permits for a few years should produce some type of result for deer population in general.........obviously this isn't the case in many areas..........I think it's a case of too many deer tags being issued in general.

Edited by jjb4900

A lot of good points flying around here, but no one is a solution. Smaller and better managed WMUs is a good idea, but if there is poor habitat in the area then the populations on those WMUs make never change. You need to manage the populations and the habitats together. 

In NY there is a huge amount of state and federally owned land, approximately 11 million acres and 37% of the state*. Other states, like Ohio. Illinois, Iowa all have less that 3%. This means the private owners have the ability to control how the land is used and practice QDM on their own. In NY however there is much more land controlled by the state, which means it is the states responsibility to maintain it and take actions (such as logging) to improve that habitat. The areas that people are seeing less deer are often the places where, in my opinion, the state has dropped the ball. 

As many people said, I am not going to stop hunting 3A and hiking 3 or so miles and picking up 1500 feet of elevation. I know going in I am not going to see many deer, and if I do I know it will be a special day. I am happy with the woodpeckers, bears, falcons, etc. But what I do not want to see, is that taken away because the DEC decided to take the easy route and limit tags and not at all address the habitat. 

* Numbers are from 1995. http://www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

• Like 1

how about making all of the our state land AR .that way anyone that wants to hunt AR can go there to hunt .have at it !

For some, that might be their only choice for hunting. It nearly is for me. Nearly of the landowners that have given us permission over the years have pulled the plug in favor of leases. I don't blame them, NY has some pretty high property taxes and it is their property, not mine, after all. It just bites for those that can't afford a lease.

I don't disagree with that at all. We are on the same page. My point is simple, you have 2 options: 1) manage it so the people who do get to hunt have a good experience or 2) let it ride and wipe out all the deer!

right? what other choice is there?

If the hunting is that bad, then why not shut it down for a couple years and allow a larger, healthier deer herd to be cultivated. Then manage the amount of permits. It makes no sense to have 10,000 people going after 100 deer. You end up with 9,900 unhappy people with a bad hunting experience. It would be ok to have 500 people going after 100 deer though.

Wipe out all the deer? Are you for real? The deer population and harvest numbers are higher than most decades since the numbers have been tracked. Check it out.

Wipe out all the deer? Are you for real? The deer population and harvest numbers are higher than most decades since the numbers have been tracked. Check it out.

not everyone who does not get a deer is unhappy.  Hell if they were, they would stop hunting. Once people get the idea it is not all about killing something, the better off we will be in the hunting sport.  Why on earth people think they need to have 4 dmp a buck tag archery/ml tags and expect to fill them all other than bragging rights the quantity of deer they killed.  Then come on a site like this and complaint not seeing deer.  I have to say that anyone who justifies this with the old I need it to feed my family, I do not buy.  Take the money you spend on equipment licenses gas and all other to hunt and buy food.  Would you starve if you do not get 5 or 6 deer in a season?  if so look at the budget and fix that.  My morning rant now I am going hunting.

oops was supposed to quote beachpazz about unhappy hunters

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1