30-06 VS. .270

Guest FrostyLeaves

I'd like to give an honorable mention to the .300 savage round. (Not as easy to find)

Culver hit the nail (and Biz) on the head though.

I'll give that one a thumbs up in the Savage 99, rem pump, or bolt action in good condition. You could still pick them up in the mid 300's. They are one step above the 30-30 in power, distance, and accuracy, plus you can shoot spitzer style bullets out of them for defying the wind. A handloaded 300 savage is a fine woods rifle that can harvest deer at the moderate ranges across the 150 yard gully on the side of the next ridge. 300 yard shooting is not out of the question with a 165 gr Speer BT at 2600 fps with a sight in at 1.5" high at a 100 yards and a 11" drop at 300 with still 1642 lbs of energy (twice the amount than the 30-30) and at the hunting camp they are always eyed when leaning up against a tree in respect for 100 years of service in the whitetail woods. But the price of ammo is about double than the 30-30 though the ammo usually is a bit better in components anyway. The barrels are usually still OK because its not really a blistering round and has mild recoil (just a tad bit more that the 30-30) and most have less than a thousand rounds through them. It wouldn't be out of the question to keep them in a 6" paper plate at 300 yards with one either. Since he is a new shooter it would be a fine weapon for whitetail and have been used on antelope in its heyday with success. I'll say one thing that a 99 that was made in the early part of the last century is still very serviceable today. I still stress the reloading aspect of any weapon though.

Edited by OnHoPr

By the way, do they even make the .300 savage anymore? Only did a quick search, but can't find anything. Did they discontinue this model? if so, why?  Why would they discontinue such a great shooting cheap piece of junk?

The 300 Sav. kind of died out because of the popularity of the 308 Win. The 300 Sav. is  still a  REAL good deer round. 

the 300 Savage,   30-30 Win.  35Rem. 32 Win Spc.  are not  junk just  because  Magnums have so much more power and range. Magnums  win every time, at longer ranges,  but those older  rounds still work very....very  well out to 150 to 200+ yards, and they do it in  smaller, lighter handier rifles. 

The .300 Weatherby is a specialty cartridge. It is designed to kill big game animals at long range, and it does a very good job of that. However, there is a price to be paid for that long range performance. It kicks like a mule...Muzzle blast is substantially louder than standard centerfire rounds. It is expensive to shoot. It requires a 24 inch barrel or preferably a 26 inch barrel to realize its ballistic advantage..With a shorter barrel it is essentially a LOUD, hard kicking 30-06.

For the average hunter, shooting at average ranges ( say 400 yards and closer) there are MANY less expensive, more user friendly choices for the average hunter, and ESPECIALLY for the beginning hunter.

To say that the .300 Weatherby mag is a BETTER choice for the average hunter at normal ranges than the (name this cartridge) is absolutely ludicrous , and anybody who endorses the .300 WM for the average hunter is absolutely clueless..

I didn't endorse it for anything except that's its better than the 300 savage and then everyone started crying. I don't like shooting the 300wby magnum either. That's why I use a 270wby mag or 7mm wby mag when using a rifle.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I think I read he got a 30-30.  I have a 3000 savage I load for and I have no qualms with a 150 grain bullet and 40.4 grains of IMR 4895 to reach out 200 yards with great accuracy and effective killing. Most do not know this, but the 300 savage is what the 308 was designed after.  A longer neck is about the only difference.  It was the military cartridge before the 308 was designed.  Ballistically very comparable to the 308 everyone touts. Do not knock one until you try one. But as I said he decided on a 30-30 but I love watching the pissing match

Pygmy, on 14 Oct 2013 - 6:59 PM, said:

The .300 Weatherby is a specialty cartridge. It is designed to kill big game animals at long range, and it does a very good job of that. However, there is a price to be paid for that long range performance. It kicks like a mule...Muzzle blast is substantially louder than standard centerfire rounds. It is expensive to shoot. It requires a 24 inch barrel or preferably a 26 inch barrel to realize its ballistic advantage..With a shorter barrel it is essentially a LOUD, hard kicking 30-06.

LOL.....

You'd love my 26" barrel with no brake in the "light" package.....Just over 7 lbs and some ounces all up with 2 down and 1 in the chamber.

Some 200gr stout loads, and you wonder if it kicks the same on both ends?

I actual like it better as I used the same frame/stock/scope set up with a 300 RUM. That'll clear your cobwebs. Shot a pile of stuff with that, the Wby is a virgin still.<<sigh>> Damn ugliest brake on the Wby barrel, embarrassing to leave it on at times. Hope know one ever has to be next to me when shooting, good for recoil.....hell on the guys ears (or ladies) next to you.

I had a 99' in 300 Sav; sold it when needed a few funds several years ago. Damn fine shooter and one of 2 rifles I wish I had never parted with. Nothing fancy and just an overall pleasant to shoot gun. Like to find another at some point.

Hey; anyone know where I can get them underoo's for Blaser? Them's the bees knees.

• Like 1