bobcats

Dom

hey dom..

I never had a shot at one, i saw one one time at a friends place in gilboa while i was dumping a gut pile behind a pond next to the house ... he was about 20 yards.. sitting ontop of a rock..

he didnt budge.. it looked forzen...  i

went to get the rifle and in the the blink of an eye , gone..

once in a while when were at that property , you can hear them screaming in the middle of the night,, (mabye mating )  its a sound that makes your hair on the back of your neck stand up...  almost sounds like a baby crying and screaming at top of its lungs.. . but constant..

but here is a story about a friend of mine..

i scratched out his face cause he isnt a member of the forum and dont know how he feels about it .

he had filled his deer tag and was trying our for coyote. he posted up over a gut pile and with a distress call..

not there for 15 minutes and out of no where was this cat starring him down at 50 yards .. ..

from what he told me , he didnt even see the thing moving while panning for coyotes.... . he just noticed its pointy ears and realized it.. lol

needless to say, it was a big cat.. about 30 lbs.. and a 9 inch skull .. according to the taxidermist.. its almost a record for NY

post-24-131455290928_thumb.jpg

post-24-131455290941_thumb.jpg

We used to have a blue heron rookery on top of the hill where there were several nests in the tree-tops. Once I discovered it, I tried to stay away from it so as not to disturb things there. However, I was working my way around the nesting site heading to the back of my property when I noticed a whole lot of noise coming from the area. Curious, I slowly headed toward there. As I got closer, I could see several herons squawking like crazy and flying around the nests. A little closer and I could make out the shape of a big cat's head sticking out of the top of one of the nests. Yup, sure enough it was a bobcat. He was either after the eggs or some newly hatched herons. I was just out hiking/scouting at the time, so I didn't have any weapons with me. This rookery was too far from home to go back and get anything (up and over the top of our "killer hill") so there was no way I could break up the nest theft. That was the last year that they had their nests there. That was a whole lot of years ago and that's the only one that I have ever seen. However, it wasn't too long ago that the local paper had a picture of one that was hit in the road over toward Bloomfield. I believe it was up on route #64 almost up to Ionia. and even more recently, the paper reported that there was one seen by several people in Canandaigua over by a condo complex next to the lake.

Yes, I do believe there are more around than people realize. They're just pretty darn sneaky.

Doc

I don't have digital photos, because I didn't have a digital camera years ago.  But I have taken 2 Bobs on my property near Delhi over the years.  Both were pretty big and were taken at 50 and 75 yards with a Ruger 77/22M target rifle in .22 Mag.

The trouble with Bobcat hunting is, you never know when you might see one.  It's rare to see them when you are hunting them exclusively.  Even when you are calling them.  They are very wise to those hunting tactics.  You generally see them when you least expect it.  And they generally don't see you first when you are just sitting out there being quiet and they get unlucky enough to pass by.