Bleat cans

covert

Anybody have any luck with them?

Maybe I just don't do it right, but it seems like even I should be able to handle: 1. Put finger over single hole on bottom. 2. Invert can to make bleat sound. 3. Repeat.  ::)

I just never seem to get any reaction out of them.  I have had deer within bow range (15-20 yds) and bleated at them and they just keep on keeping on.  I know guys who swear they have bucks run in and try to climb the tree  :D  they are so excited, but I just feel like a goof doing it with no results.  I always carry the dumb thing but it's like that one big silly looking lure in the tackle box that you just chuck when they're not hitting anything else anyway.

The grunt on the other hand I have supreme confidence in.  I have grunted at deer and had them make a beeline 300 yds down a field.  I grunted my first bow buck right off a doe's tail, but that bleat can, I just don't know.

Thanks, I'll look for it.  That would be typical for me to end up with something that I think is saying "Come here big fella, mee love you long time" when it's really saying "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, THERE'S A DUMMY WITH A POINTY STICK OVER HERE!!" ;D

Well there you go.  I should've just asked that a long time ago.  I've always just let it run through the whole length of the bleat. 

I did have a doe wander around my stand for nearly 10 minutes once a couple years ago and she was making those short blats about every other step.  Must not have been any bucks within hearing because no one ever came to visit.

Wow I think primos needs to put some decent directions in the package.  Never once does it say anything about that.  I bought the one call primos makes that has the wheeze, estrous call and the regular grunt.  I came with a dvd to and never says anthing about those short bleats.  Very interesting and thanks for posting the video!!!!

Peter Fuduccia? lol saw him at a hunting fishing expo in the beginning of the year...

i use the can all the time throughout the season with good luck using it. i hit a buck with it a few days ago on my hunt, he came in nose to the ground and walked right to the tree. i do not rely on it but i do love using it to try and get a deer in closer...

I have found that the can works either long or short bleat.  During bow last year I was grunting back and forth with this guy for 10 minutes before I pulled out the can and blew a tending grunt, followed by 2 "long" bleats.  He was hung up in cover, not willing to step out in the open, until he heard that bleat.  He came charging in ears back, head down and looking to wreck the buck that was stealing one of his hot does.

Also used the "long" bleat to call in a 5 and 7 pointer during rifle.

post-565-131455361136_thumb.jpg

post-565-131455361159_thumb.jpg

I have used the can several times as well as grunt tubes, bleats etc without success. Recently,I have had better success just sitting quietly not wanting to disturb the deer with any man made sound.

Congratulations to those who successfuly employ such devices to attract deer, but I have retired my collection.

I think I am with you on this. I haven't had any success...maybe its just me and I'm screwin it up somehow

I'm thinking that the best way to check the thing out would be to have a buck that is obviously out of range and is going to keep right on walking away. Let loose with it and see what his reaction is. Trying to use the call for just "blind calling" doesn't tell you that the thing doesn't work or whether there simply isn't a buck within earshot.

Doc

i slipped into an area late upstate and stupid me setup right on a main deer run a few years ago. it was on the thicker side below me and i sat off of a run that leads out of the thickets. well sure enough right before shooting time i saw down into the thickets a tree swaying around, upon closer inspection i see a really nice rack working through. sure enough the deer commits to a structure that lead him right to the run i was on and he pops out dead on 15 yards infront of me. it was a beautiful 7 point with a 17-18" spread. nice buck... well he knew i wasnt part of the surrounding and busted me instantly! he ran down into the thickets and up the ridge i hot the can 2 times he stopped dead in his tracks and came back down the ridge, the second it looked like he was smelling the air and looked like he was going to walk off, i git him again with the can 1 more time. he commits and comes right back to me off of another trail grunting up a storm. needless to say i had him going crazy for about 15 minutes maybe even 20 with this can. each time he came in to about 20 yards and ran off and each time i hit with some bleets. He would come right back in but never did offer a shot op for me. it was just one of the coolest experiences i had with a deer to know i had this deers attention so bad he would keep coming back to me as if he had a name and i knew it...

never did see him again. i did have experiences where i used the can on a buck and got zero reaction, my guess is that deer may had his mind set on a hot does trail. i have had bucks who were mind set on something else and even me jumping in a tree while he was walking by wouldnt get his attention...

isnt it funny how you here all these stories about calling in big bucks right to  a stand but you can never get a shot.in my observations the can almost never worked for me only luck was with maybe 3 small bucks,i think you can fool those little guys but the big boys arent stupid.if an older buck does come in he wont stick around long if there is nothing to be found when they hear the call they can pin point the location and when he comes in and doesnt see anything around he most likely will get out of there,just my opinion.im sure it has worked for people just not me.this just gave me an idea for a new post