Hunting methods for catskills?

Dorsilfin

Hey all,  Ive had a blackbear near my cabin quite a few times and hes showing up more regularly on my trial camera.. he likes to eat it :/

I am looking for ways to improve my chance of seeing it during the daylight hours while I'm hunting.

*video of said bear*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBZXiXZ1Bqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3wP7Y_dtyE

He does not seem to have a regular day/time for walking through this area tho it is well traveled by the deer and coyotes and other wildlife so its a good intersection to lay and wait but i also do not want to spend a week sitting in a tree hoping he walks by.  I would like to entice him a bit to come out more regularly. 

Have any of you used any products/scents to pull them out?

Any type of calls to use?

Cool videos. You have corn on your property? I seem to catch them in the morning coming back from the corn fields.

no corn just an apple and pear tree, which he had wrecked this year.. fatso climbed the pear tree and snapped it in half and sat around eating all the pears haha.

both tree's are pretty well tapped out of fruit now so im thinking hes probably just hitting the beechnuts and acorns right now to fatten up which are kinda all over the place on my property.

Dorsilfin, I would lay down a scent trail. Dilute a solution of vanilla extract, caramel extract, and anise oil (this concoction produces an intense sweet smell). Put it in a spray bottle and spray rocks, vegetation, and the ground. Be sure to bring the scent trail through your shooting lanes, and make sure your shooting lanes are down wind from where you want the bear to be. The bear will have its nose on the ground following the scent through your shooting lanes. *NOTE* It is ILLEGAL to use bait to hunt Black Bear in NYS.***HOWEVER IT IS LEGAL to use up to 1.5 ounces of liquid scent or lure.

Best of luck with that nice Black Bear!

• Like 1

Dorsilfin, I would lay down a scent trail. Dilute a solution of vanilla extract, caramel extract, and anise oil (this concoction produces an intense sweet smell). Put it in a spray bottle and spray rocks, vegetation, and the ground. Be sure to bring the scent trail through your shooting lanes, and make sure your shooting lanes are down wind from where you want the bear to be. The bear will have its nose on the ground following the scent through your shooting lanes. *NOTE* It is ILLEGAL to use bait to hunt Black Bear in NYS.***HOWEVER IT IS LEGAL to use up to 1.5 ounces of liquid scent or lure.

Best of luck with that nice Black Bear!

Thanks for the scent info.  Ill pick up some vanilla and caramel this week and give it a try.    how far out do you run the scents leading into your shooting lanes?   would it be worthwhile putting scents out during the week when not hunting just to try and keep him moving through the area more regularly?

Could try what they call Bear Bomb, from makers of BuckBomb. Could also try the scent sticks that burn like incense. Just be sure to put them in tuna fish or small tin can so they don't get blown over by wind and light woods on fire. Hear you about tearing down pair tree, bear did same thing to my small apple trees. Have had him come past my tree stand but has been staying out of range in thick brush. Hopefully will be able to slide an arrow in him soon.

Did some searching around for a magazine I get,(wife says I get to many of them) called Bear Hunting , the have ad in it. Bear Scents. Can get just about everything for bear scents. Number is 920-648-5943 , 1-888-215-BEAR(2327) or website www.bearscents.com

Just thought you would want info if you wanted to check them out.

Thanks for the info, will def take a look.   He unfortunately did not show up this past week on my trailcam and no sign of him this weekend.  Going to have to put some feet on the ground next weekend to see what food source hes moved too and see if I can intercept him sometime before he goes to sleep for the winter

as soon as the corn dries, bears wont really be feeding on it, they tend to favor when the corn is still green.  If soft mass is available they will hit apples, and pears but after they pick the trees clean.  They will move off onto the hard mast.  If the corn is dry, and the apples gone look for the oaks. 

Find the food find the bears, this time of the year all they are concerned about is putting on the fat for the winter.  More often then not they wont bed far from the food source. Last thing they want to do is expel energy traveling great distances from there day bed to there food source.

Bear Scense is great stuff,  Use the hickory smoke as lure scent.  It will last for days.  Spray it high on the trees so the scent carries.  Also spray it on the underside of leaves (will be proteced from dew and rain)

Use the sweeter smelling scents on your shooting lanes to seal the deal, jelly donut, root beer, and one they call secret blend

• Like 1

I'm in 4r and they are everywhere - I got one 5 years ago out of pure luck of sitting on a very steep cliff overlooking a well used trail through pines- people have been going after them and they travel more than what you would imagine - when we skinned it there was a 3 bladed broadhead (typical muzzy head) wound that only broke the skin - it was only 175 lbs and its mom shows up on our cameras and its 350lbs plus (not a fun thought for hiking in with only a bow at 5am but its mostly mental)

Well my trail cam haven't seen him in 2 weeks.   pretty sure hes on food, just not near me.   Might hike the area hard this weekend and try and find what he might be working on.  Tho if im 3 miles in I don't know how much im going to want to take him out dealing with that drag!

I got one hanging around in the catskills also. I know because i found about 9 piles of crap in a 10x10 square foot area under beech trees. Top of the mountain, hard hike in. I camped out an afternoon but it could be miles away who knows. Wish i lived there to focus on the area but my limited time forces me to get a deer which 4 weekends in is still blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 3 weeks later...