Ribs today - started smoking around 8am.

moog5050

Just curious how many like fall off the bone vs the more traditional tender but still some adhesion?   321 works great for fall off the bone but I actually braise it less and smoke it outside of the foil a bit longer sine I prefer some adhesion to the bone.  How do y’all cook em?

• Like 2

My method is simple... At the risk of offending   the Barbeque/smoker experts, it produces a product  similar in texture to  Moog's ribs  and it is much faster.. Btw, although I like smoked products, I don't own a smoker..

I fill a large stockpot  about 3/4 full of water...Add a full cup of salt... Place the ribs in the water and bring to a boil...Simmer for 30 minutes...Place the ribs on the grill and slather with Sweet Baby Ray's....Grill  10 to 15minutes , basting with the sauce...   The ribs turn out well done, but with some adhesion to the bone, and surprisingly NOT overly salty..

The guy who shared that method with me said it brines the meat and parboils it at the same time, leaving the meat juicy and tender...Crude but effective..

11 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My method is simple... At the risk of offending   the Barbeque/smoker experts, it produces a product  similar in texture to  Moog's ribs  and it is much faster.. Btw, although I like smoked products, I don't own a smoker..

I fill a large stockpot  about 3/4 full of water...Add a full cup of salt... Place the ribs in the water and bring to a boil...Simmer for 30 minutes...Place the ribs on the grill and slather with Sweet Baby Ray's....Grill  10 to 15minutes , basting with the sauce...   The ribs turn out well done, but with some adhesion to the bone, and surprisingly NOT overly salty..

The guy who shared that method with me said it brines the meat and parboils it at the same time, leaving the meat juicy and tender...Crude but effective..

There’s a reason you don’t own a smoker……. :)

As they say "Low & Slow", I do ribs and briskets all winter long in my wood cookstove when she is fired up for heating. I like using various dry rubs and put in on both sides liberally, I place the meat in a rectangular high side baking pan and seal it good with aluminum foil and put it in the oven early in the morning say 6 AM. The oven does not get real hot because of the hot water tank on the side.  I will remove from the oven at supper time around 6PM, the meat is tender and falls of the bones and so good.:yes:

Al

001.thumb.JPG.3888274bbbe5ff28cf9f5e822e93b3ce (1).jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

321 method! I season my ribs with a rub after removing membrane skin on in side of each rack. Let set at room temperature for alittle while. Put on smoker for 3 hours to aquire smoke. Then take them off put them in tin foil. Add alittle honey and apple cider vinegar spirits. Then fold foil and set back on smoker for 2 hours. Finally remove from tin foil. Add bbq sauce and back on smoker or grill for another hour. Applying bbq sauce. They turn out great. 

8 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

321 method! I season my ribs with a rub after removing membrane skin on in side of each rack. Let set at room temperature for alittle while. Put on smoker for 3 hours to aquire smoke. Then take them off put them in tin foil. Add alittle honey and apple cider vinegar spirits. Then fold foil and set back on smoker for 2 hours. Finally remove from tin foil. Add bbq sauce and back on smoker or grill for another hour. Applying bbq sauce. They turn out great. 

My method is similar. 3-4 hours in smoker at 205 with rub applied, wrap in tin foil and go another 3hrs,  let sit and add preferred bbq sauce and grill for 30-45 min.   

in a rush, I have par boiled like Dan but unlike Dan, I am allowed to use a smoker given the time to do so.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

My method is similar. 3 hours in smoker at 205 with rub applied, wrap in tin foil and go another 3hrs,  let sit and add preferred bbq sauce and grill for 30-45 min.   

in a rush, I have par boiled like Dan but unlike Dan, I am allowed to use a smoker given the time to do so.

Mine is a pit boss pellet smoker. Set on 250 right thru to. The time I put them on grill then increase heat to heat up bbq sauce. 

Nope, that was in my former life....It was an old farm house...Replaced it with a new two story modular ( which included a trophy room) that was much nicer than the old place....Finished basement, perfect setup to clean fish, cut up meat and drink beer with my buddies, etc. etc.   Whole deal was still pretty traumatic for my wife, teenage daughter  and I, though....

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Nope, that was in my former life....It was an old farm house...Replaced it with a new two story modular ( which included a trophy room) that was much nicer than the old place....Finished basement, perfect setup to clean fish, cut up meat and drink beer with my buddies, etc. etc.   Whole deal was still pretty traumatic for my wife, teenage daughter  and I, though....

Sorry to hear that buddy. 

2 hours ago, airedale said:

As they say "Low & Slow", I do ribs and briskets all winter long in my wood cookstove when she is fired up for heating. I like using various dry rubs and put in on both sides liberally, I place the meat in a rectangular high side baking pan and seal it good with aluminum foil and put it in the oven early in the morning say 6 AM. The oven does not get real hot because of the hot water tank on the side.  I will remove from the oven at supper time around 6PM, the meat is tender and falls of the bones and so good.:yes:

Al

001.thumb.JPG.3888274bbbe5ff28cf9f5e822e93b3ce (1).jpg

Man I love that stove. Is that Vermont casting? 

I'm a FOB, and dry rub guy. I also use the 321 for St Louis and full racks for FOB.  I sauce 3-4 times during the last hr.  I've often cooked them without foil to get ribs with a little tug, saucing a few times during the last hr or so. 

Don't cook baby backs waste of money IMO.  

• Like 1