Missed 3 times today

rdfenn3

Sucks that you missed ,but I would take a clean miss anyway over a wounded deer..One of the best bow hunters I know emptied his quiver(5 arrows) on a buck once at 20 yds.. Buck fever!!! Lol.

Shake it off ,grin ,have fun and do it right next time.

Hell, I can kill a coffee cup just about every time out past 40 yds.. but my record on actual deer isn't near so good.

I think I figured out my issue. I was using a hostage pro rest. And the bottom brush was worn out really bad. Anyway I switched to a Apache drop away. Sighted it in yesterday. Got out the climber and shot out of that and everything seems to be good.

I think I figured out my issue. I was using a hostage pro rest. And the bottom brush was worn out really bad. Anyway I switched to a Apache drop away. Sighted it in yesterday. Got out the climber and shot out of that and everything seems to be good.

When it comes time to shoot at a deer, I find I have to force myself to concentrate and think about the bow mechanics of the shot and put the deer out of my mind (good luck with that).  I also try to maintain my sight picture until I hear/see the arrow hit the deer.  Most of the misses I have experienced have been because I didn't hold my bow arm through the shot, but dropped it or moved it to the side prematurely to watch the hit which in those instances didn't materialize.  Its hard when you're starting but keep your mind on the mechanics of the shot like you do when you are at the range.  If you haven't practiced from an elevation, you need to.   Your arrows will hit higher when shooting from a treestand and its important to know how much it affects the impact point of your arrow.  Also try some nearly vertical shots.  You don't want your first one to be when the deer is right under your tree.

• Like 2

your form shouldn't be any different shooting the old bow versus the new one.  practicing as if you're in a shooting situation is important.  also continue throughout the season otherwise muscles get weaker and form changes slightly.  all the while a tuned bow is essential.  don't change anything and go hunting without practicing first.

when it comes time to shoot a deer, don't think that you're shooting a deer.  only decided yes i'm going to shoot it then stop thinking about the deer.  it's easier to do this by focusing on the process of making a good shot at a spot you're trying to hit.  then after you make that shot count the flood gates of emotion can open.

• Like 1

I think I got my mind tuned to it just like practice when I get a deer close enough. I noticed I'm a lot more calm when I see them coming. Haven't had anything come close enough to where I'm comfortable at making a clean kill shot. First two deer I ever took with my bow I watched them suffer cause I was out to just get a deer to brag. It was disturbing and I really couldn't enjoy eating it. So now I wait til there in my comfort range of 15 yards and in my cleared out shooting lanes. Im a good shot up to about 40 but I really don't wanna chance it. When i tell ppl I had a nice buck at 30 yards. And say I wasn't comfortable taking the shot I hear a lot of crap. I really don't care lol