Who's the best taxidermist in southern NY?

WestchesterBowman

Sorry guys, I'm hunting in Prattsville, in the northern foothills of the Catskills. I live in NYC,  our property is covered in black bear, so I'm putting my action plan together in case we tag one, I want to know exactly who it's going to and how to get there.  I don't mind driving for exceptional work. 

Edited by RITBlake
  • Like 1

Kurt Fox is exceptional work. I would give him a call and tell him your hoping to get a bear this year, he will tell you what steps to take if you get one, etc.

http://www.foxstudiostaxidermy.com/

I never shot a bear, but here is some recent work he has done for me. Pics don't do them justice, they were taken on my cell phone. They are insane in real life.

post-871-0-82616600-1381345671_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-73858800-1381345673_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-77900500-1381345677_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-24975000-1381345680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Kurt Fox is exceptional work. I would give him a call and tell him your hoping to get a bear this year, he will tell you what steps to take if you get one, etc.

I never shot a bear, but here is some recent work he has done for me. Pics don't do them justice, they were taken on my cell phone. They are insane in real life.

The first thing I look at when shopping for taxidermy work is cats and coyotes. They are, in my opinion, the hardest animals to look realistic. Great work, thanks for the tip. 

The first thing I look at when shopping for taxidermy work is cats and coyotes. They are, in my opinion, the hardest animals to look realistic. Great work, thanks for the tip. 

I agree. I trusted Kurt with my bobcat and lion, you can't trust many East Coast guys on those types of animals.  Here's a pic of a bear he did for my Dad. I tried to zoom, but lost some clarity.

post-871-0-55755600-1381346033_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

like I said before, just looking at the faces of those cats and the exceptional way they came out speaks volumes for the quality of work that guy does...very nice.

Couldn't agree more, despite the closeness of the picture not being ideal all those animals and gunracks were from Kurt, have another deer not pictured and a boar skull also not pictured done by Kurt, wouldn't trust anyone else

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

post-3682-13813487170706_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys, I'm hunting in Prattsville, in the northern foothills of the Catskills. I live in NYC,  our property is covered in black bear, so I'm putting my action plan together in case we tag one, I want to know exactly who it's going to and how to get there.  I don't mind driving for exceptional work. 

Once you decide have a specific talk to them about how they want it cared for and caped. bear is touchy to handle or the result can be hair loss.

Good luck.

Sorry guys, I'm hunting in Prattsville, in the northern foothills of the Catskills. I live in NYC, our property is covered in black bear, so I'm putting my action plan together in case we tag one, I want to know exactly who it's going to and how to get there. I don't mind driving for exceptional work.

Just curious, how do you plan on killing the bear? Bow or gun?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Do you typically take a bear to the butcher than the taxidermist or the other way around? 

Ask the taxidermist you are going to use. He may want it to him first. No knock on anyone but some butchers may live up to their title is they are not use to doing bears. The taxidermist knows just how he wants the skin cut for the mount you have decided on. Having a slice in the wrong spot or not enough hide can tie the taxidermists hands.

Pick out a taxidermist

decide on what type of moint or rug you want

then go get one.

good luck.

• Like 1