Who's the best taxidermist in southern NY?

WestchesterBowman

Ask the taxidermist you are going to use. He may want it to him first. No knock on anyone but some butchers may live up to their title is they are not use to doing bears. The taxidermist knows just how he wants the skin cut for the mount you have decided on. Having a slice in the wrong spot or not enough hide can tie the taxidermists hands.

Pick out a taxidermist

decide on what type of moint or rug you want

then go get one.

good luck.

Thank you very much, that is the perfect breakdown I was looking for. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt Fox is exceptional work. I would give him a call and tell him your hoping to get a bear this year, he will tell you what steps to take if you get one, etc.

http://www.foxstudiostaxidermy.com/

I never shot a bear, but here is some recent work he has done for me. Pics don't do them justice, they were taken on my cell phone. They are insane in real life.

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to do the lion mount? 

Kurt Fox is exceptional work. I would give him a call and tell him your hoping to get a bear this year, he will tell you what steps to take if you get one, etc.

http://www.foxstudiostaxidermy.com/

I never shot a bear, but here is some recent work he has done for me. Pics don't do them justice, they were taken on my cell phone. They are insane in real life.

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to do the lion mount? 

• 2 weeks later...

http://jonasbrotherstaxidermy.com/content/gallery/

Carl Pepi and his team are hands down the best. 

I disagree. I've never been impressed with their work, but that's my opinion. By the way, I heard that Jonas Brothers (located in Mt. Vernon) was a great taxidermist back in the day. However, the new owners bought the name, "Jonas Brothers", so the name means nothing now.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I don't know who to recommend but my next mount will be going to Kurt Fox. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from him on this site and nothing negative. Also I'm pretty sure Biz-R-World put Mr Fox's kids through college with all the taxidermy he has had done and he seems to be incredibly satisfied.

I can tell you who highly don't recommend. Carl Pepi and his Team at Jonas Brothers Studio. Although they are incredibly nice people I was totally disgusted with my experience. It was far from quality and work and the 6 month guarantee was a joke. After  months and still no mount I was informed that it would be down as soon as they returned from the fishing trip.

The story, The largest buck I had ever gotten and my first mount was the deer in my profile pic. Being a december buck this guys neck was swollen and massive. When I got my mount back after nearly 8 months (remember the 6 month guarantee) It was mounted to form that was much to small and they cut hair off the back to make up for the slack but the face didn't fit properly and has huge bump in the between its snout and eyes. The thing looks like it had botox. It was shoddy work at best and I was extremely disappointed. Like I said they are very nice people but they will never get my business again

post-2485-0-94479900-1384325266_thumb.jp

Sorry guys, I'm hunting in Prattsville, in the northern foothills of the Catskills. I live in NYC,  our property is covered in black bear, so I'm putting my action plan together in case we tag one, I want to know exactly who it's going to and how to get there.  I don't mind driving for exceptional work. 

Mark Vitch is right off Rt 88 on Rt 7 in Schoharie, not too far from you, he has done lots of work for my friends and family, full mount coyotes, deer, bear, etc. He does outstanding work and I highly recommend him.

I took my first bear on opening day; field dressed it, dragged it out of the woods, and drove it to Kurt Fox the next day.  I needed to find a place between Scoharie County and NYC and he came highly referred by numerous sources so I gave him a call. We spoke on the phone for a little bit to disucss the process, cost, time, etc. and he was even better to talk to in person; as was his son.  Both professional and curtious regarding every aspect.  I'm having him do a rug and skull bleach (for the office).  I'll post pics upon completion.

Note that I'm not affiliated with him in any way - i just stumbled accross this site while doing some research on the matter and figured I should join since I've been an NY hunter for 4 years.  Looking forward to learning for the community.

I took my first bear on opening day; field dressed it, dragged it out of the woods, and drove it to Kurt Fox the next day.  I needed to find a place between Scoharie County and NYC and he came highly referred by numerous sources so I gave him a call. We spoke on the phone for a little bit to disucss the process, cost, time, etc. and he was even better to talk to in person; as was his son.  Both professional and curtious regarding every aspect.  I'm having him do a rug and skull bleach (for the office).  I'll post pics upon completion.

Note that I'm not affiliated with him in any way - i just stumbled accross this site while doing some research on the matter and figured I should join since I've been an NY hunter for 4 years.  Looking forward to learning for the community.

Congrats. Kurt and his son have done a lot of great work for my me and my father.

• 2 months later...