7j

bubba

Does anyone know of any decent public land in 7j?  I got a permit for there and am contemplating a trip there for a weekend.  if not, I will put it up for a give away.  I have been looking on thecmap and it does not look like a lot of public land

Bear Swamp tons of puplic land near the town of sempronius on nys rte. 41a. I believe one of the road is call hartnett also get to it by iowa rd. and also another side curtin rd. almost runs into the south end of skaneatelas lake.  Also there is land near owasco the state game lands is call Frozen Ocean. Look for quarry rd. it will bring you on the main side of the state game lands.

bear swamp and summer hill state land are your best option

about 10 years ago, the amish moved in and the deer numbers went down, we hunt a 300 acre farm in 7j and I haven't bother to get a tag for that area due to the low numbers of deer,

summer hill state land is beautiful, it's also a rifle area, you won't see herds of deer, but there's a few around, and most of the hunters clear out after thanksgiving

• 2 weeks later...

Public land around this 7j, 7f area is hit hard by hunters as the ratio of public land to hunters isn't as good as it is in many other areas of the state. So bow season would be your best bet. I haven't given bear swamp or Cicero swamp or even 3 rivers a try before just because of the stories I hear of too many hunters there. Next year though I have some scouting to do there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hewitt state forest off of cold brook rd or 41...seen some of the biggest bucks of my life on the ridge facing cold brook....and it's bordered on all sides with corn and has healthy stands of pines and oak dominated hardwood.

The glut of hunters usually only last the first weekend and thanksgiving, then it usually slows back down, especially when you know of public land that doesn't appear on the dec map.

That said I got my lease in 7f so I wouldn't have to deal with the orange army at all...not worth my safety.

Edited by Meat Manager

Is that some kind of religious thing?

I'm Paul Adams, the owner of Adams Eden Camp.  Our camp is a recreational retreat center open to the public.  We have 328 acres surounded by undeveloped land on top of Bare Mountain on the line splitting Otisco and Lafayette.  We are open year round for hiking, fishing, a huge ropes course, Team Building, reunions, weddings, parties, hayrides and more.  Our facilities includes a lodge, cabin, platform tent, 1 1/2 miles on Falls creek (a load of waterfalls), gameroom, ponds, 95% forested property and a 10 acre shrub maze.  We are open year around. 

Our plus for hunters is that the deer here are acclimated to people moving around and our mountain is covered with apple orchards, farm fields, private forestland, and our forest is filled with marked trails that mainly follow deer paths.  We close the camp to evryone but registered hunters during multiple 3-day hunting sessions in the regular deer season.  Each year we layout 40 different waypoints on GPS and set up stands and/or tree base seats at the 40 sites.  All sites are located on our detailed custom topo may for our property.  While hunters are here, they can stay in the main lodge (holds 24), or the Shaded nook Cabin (holds 10). Pricing is real afordable.  We have dicounted rates for vets , youth, and groups.  You can even bring along some non-hunting family or frieds if you want to hang in the evenings or have a few extra hands to dress a deer or cook meals.  (we have a big self-serve kitchen in the lodge with multiple stoves and fridges).

Have any more questions?  goto http://adamsedencamp.com/hunting/ , email me at [email protected] , or call me at (315) 677-5121

-Paul Adams

And to answer the other question, (Is that some kind of religious thing?), well, I believe God created the deer and everything else too, but I don't force truth on anyone. The truth speeks quite well to those who want to hear it.