Reminder: Youth Season, Oct. 12 - 14th

Cabin Fever

Being a believer in blaze orange for safety, I would recommend that if you're out bow hunting, be sure to have some B/O on. It may not occur to everyone, but you might want to mention that to anyone you can think of. Let's keep it safe.

• Like 1

not one incident last year.  let's hope for the same this year.

+100

I'd imagine most bowhunters will never see anyone or even here shooting.  I'd sure like to see some pics of the successful youth hunters!!  Good luck......................

would your son not also hunt opening day?

of course..... opening day, the weekend after and the weekend after and then muzzleloader and then shotgun, you name it........... is it ok with you if I take him small game hunting and Turkey hunting during your bowseason? those guns go boom too and we do a lot more walking around................I know you want every other season shut down during bow, but that's not gonna happen.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

i'm glad you guys could keep this civilized. All I did was ask a question. You don't even know how I feel about it. I have over a thousand acres of private land to enjoy. So I'm all set with your squirrel hunting.

but you did answer my question so thanks.

oh, because I love controversy. Avoid the hens during fall turkey. Turkey's aren't doing so well and even the NWTF agrees we need to do more.

all for now.

Edited by Belo

i'm glad you guys could keep this civilized. All I did was ask a question. You don't even know how I feel about it. I have over a thousand acres of private land to enjoy. So I'm all set with your squirrel hunting.

but you did answer my question so thanks.

Bottom line is they offered it, so I'm gonna take advantage........if it was never open it wouldn't make a difference to me.

All I have to say is i'm glad that i'm working this weekend... I tried to deal with it last year but the deer were super spooked and weren't spending much time in one place.  I am all for the youth season and getting young hunters in the woods but I think it should be the weekend before regular season.  Even as a bow hunter I would be fine with ending the season for the 5 days before opening day and letting the deer calm back down. 

If I had a vote, I'd rather they shortened gun season like most states already have. Give the first weekend to the youth and return opening day to Monday.

JJB, I have no beef with you taking your kid(s) out this weekend. so long as you don't have a gun yourself :pogranichnik:

relax. it was a joke.

Edited by Belo

If I had a vote, I'd rather they shortened gun season like most states already have. Give the first weekend to the youth and return opening day to Monday.

worst thing they ever did was implement the Saturday opener..........but that's a topic for another day.

• Like 1

My preferred youth deer hunt weekend would be the last weekend of bow season. Given that bowhunters now start hunting Oct 1st,my feeling is that most bow hunters will have had ample time in the field and have had a positive hunting experience to that point, and sacrificing the last bow weekend to the youth just makes more sense to me.

Good luck to those participating in the youth hunt and be safe.

JJB, I have no beef with you taking your kid(s) out this weekend. so long as you don't have a gun yourself :pogranichnik:

relax. it was a joke.

no need to, if need be, I'll just push my son out of the way and take his................ :hunter: 

My preferred youth deer hunt weekend would be the last weekend of bow season. Given that bowhunters now start hunting Oct 1st,my feeling is that most bow hunters will have had ample time in the field and have had a positive hunting experience to that point, and sacrificing the last bow weekend to the youth just makes more sense to me.

Good luck to those participating in the youth hunt and be safe.

You do realize that has already been done? Moving the opener from Monday to Saturday was a big result of a push to get youths involved. Bowhunting does not need to lose another weekend in less than 10 years.

This year's last weekend of SZ bow is Nov. 9/10. I'll quit if that weekend gets taken away. How far are we willing to go to "get youths involved"? Get off your freaking butt and mentor a kid if you don't have one - sacrifice your own time hunting.

Another tail wagging the dog.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

better off if the youth got the 1st weekend in October before Archery and bowhunters got the last weekend back...........I don't know about any of you, but hunting when it's 80 degrees out is miserable, and I think being out there before things really start heating up is not really a good thing.

• Like 1

better off if the youth got the 1st weekend in October before Archery and bowhunters got the last weekend back...........I don't know about any of you, but hunting when it's 80 degrees out is miserable, and I think being out there before things really start heating up is not really a good thing.

I'm a huge proponent of getting kids involved - the right way. We're on the verge of babying them so much in the hunting sport that I question whether certain tactics do more damage than good.

The problem is we need to make kids feel special publicly, but privately, we want to remove and minimze the disruption to our own personal success on opening day of gun season. Nothing but a veil for most of the people who "support" it. Those who do and do so with genuine care - can't even find a willing youth. Look at the QDMA chapter here - they've posted time and time again on finding some - and I suspect that indicates applications were lower than expected.

You know what I say to those with veiled reasoning? Shame on you (not you, just in general).

• Like 1

Youths are given this "extra weekend" to hopefully raise the success level in young hunters. As sad as it makes me to say, hunting in NY is a dying sport and we need as much help as possible trying to get more people involved.

I don't think it will have an effect on any bow hunter, and if it does, who cares. It's 1 weekend and it's for the good of all hunting and hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1

Youths are given this "extra weekend" to hopefully raise the success level in young hunters. As sad as it makes me to say, hunting in NY is a dying sport and we need as much help as possible trying to get more people involved.

I don't think it will have an effect on any bow hunter, and if it does, who cares. It's 1 weekend and it's for the good of all hunting and hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I for one care. I don't know about you but I have a limited amount of time I can spend in the woods so one weekend is a lot. If you want to take a kid gun hunting do it during gun season, not at the expesnse of bow hunters. Why not make opening weekend of gun season youth only? Yea I didn't think so.