Reminder: Youth Season, Oct. 12 - 14th

Cabin Fever

Be careful what you wish for.

Could be like Ohio this weekend. Bowhunters and ML hunters can't shoot a buck this weekend. Antlerless weekend.

but Ohio has done sooo many things right for soooo long. At least that's what the xbow hunters tell me.

Interesting concept though. First I heard of it and not sure it matters if you can drill a spike again on monday?

You do realize that has already been done? Moving the opener from Monday to Saturday was a big result of a push to get youths involved. Bowhunting does not need to lose another weekend in less than 10 years.

This year's last weekend of SZ bow is Nov. 9/10. I'll quit if that weekend gets taken away. How far are we willing to go to "get youths involved"? Get off your freaking butt and mentor a kid if you don't have one - sacrifice your own time hunting.

Another tail wagging the dog.

Selfishly I would not want to give up that last weekend. And as far as I know the few extra weeks we received was the concession the DEC made for bowhunters losing it. But most will argue that a weekend in the rut is far more valuable than 2 full weeks of mosquito swatting. But like I said, i would still vote to give the youth the last weekend.

I understand the need to have a youth hunt. I have always struggled with what are we gaining by having it so early. Would these kids not otherwise hunt with a gun? Are we setting them up for unrealistic expectations when they're too old to youth hunt and enter the woods in cold november where all the deer are now spooked? Do we really have enough bow hunters willing to give up their own personal time?

my stance? I really don't care either way. I just struggle with the logic and this years cover of the rules and reg book. How do you declare success? Were there goals before the program started that were met? It's easy for a the implementer of the policy to claim success. It's harder for the opposition.

Edited by Belo

I for one care. I don't know about you but I have a limited amount of time I can spend in the woods so one weekend is a lot. If you want to take a kid gun hunting do it during gun season, not at the expesnse of bow hunters. Why not make opening weekend of gun season youth only? Yea I didn't think so.

So you want all small game hunting to cease?

Because you are far more likely to run into one of those than you are a youth hunter.

• Like 1

My niece and i will be hunting this weekend, With that said Im taking her hunting with a gun this year and i like the fact that the deer arent all riled up, She will have the chance to harvest a deer that hasnt been running or been spooked 100 times, She can catch them when they are relaxed and still on a pattern,  But i also agree that they shouldnt need a special weekend, But as long as they do why not get the kids out when its a little warmer and more comfortable for them, Trying to make it an enjoyable thing sounds legit, A freezing kid not seeing anything for hours isnt a happy memory its a bad one, Again i dont think its a necessary thing, but i guess it could be a good thing, Im not even worried about her shooting "MY" buck lol if she does good for her,  I asked my niece if she wanted to hunt she said yes took both her gun and bow course, And is super excited about going, Im just glad i can be in her life and will get to experience  her first deer kill with her, 

• Like 5

You do realize that has already been done? Moving the opener from Monday to Saturday was a big result of a push to get youths involved. Bowhunting does not need to lose another weekend in less than 10 years.

This year's last weekend of SZ bow is Nov. 9/10. I'll quit if that weekend gets taken away. How far are we willing to go to "get youths involved"? Get off your freaking butt and mentor a kid if you don't have one - sacrifice your own time hunting.

Another tail wagging the dog.

Phade, I know as you know why the Saturday opener was brought forth, and I would be happy to mentor during the existing Saturday Regular season opener...that would be so cool to do and witness a little fella get the big buck. I really am not in favor of losing any more quality bow time as you are...I was just trying to come with a workable solution given the situation we find ourselves in right now....I do not think there is a good solution.

If i don't see anyone. How about taking away my ability to use a decoy this weekend? It's the same thing for turkey season, If you want to take a kid out to hunt do it on your time not time already set aside for other hunters.

Edited by Witty

I'll be taking my 14 year old daughter out for her first "real" deer hunt. She's gone out and sat with me many times over the years while I hunted. She shot her first turkey this past spring, so she's excited to try to get her first deer this fall too! Hoping that pink camo knife that I bought her yesterday will bring her some luck!  :biggrin:  

• Like 3

My view is if "we" had kept doing "the same" the numbers would not have dropped to begin with. If couples didn't get divorced the first time things got tough leaving kids caught in the middle, if people didn't get so wrapped up in what's in it for me and put do much time and effort into getting it they had no time for their kids, if parents stopped using television and computer games as babysitters and instead introduced them to the outdoors, hunting and fishing in particular, I can't help but think we might not be seeing this decline. In my case it was my grandfather and uncles who stepped up for me and my brother. They did it because it was the right thing to do, and it was without any expectation of something in return or the benefit of some special season. I hunted with my uncles every regular season and each one was "special". Maybe that's why at 54 I'm still here perched in a tree taking it all in, and why my kids, brother in law, and nephews are also hunters. What we needed "was" more of the same. Just my thoughts from the pine tree! Lol

Edited by New York Hillbilly

surprised that so many bow hunters don't want to share the woods with kids, they may never see or hear, for a few days out of a 45 day season. I understand not wanting any interference but just think it may make all the difference for that one kid getting involved in the outdoors 

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER
  • Like 4

I for one care. I don't know about you but I have a limited amount of time I can spend in the woods so one weekend is a lot. If you want to take a kid gun hunting do it during gun season, not at the expesnse of bow hunters. Why not make opening weekend of gun season youth only? Yea I didn't think so.

Christ, your season is 46 days long.  At the expense of bow hunters?  Really?  You can't spare 3 out of 46?  I've been outside most of the morning and have yet to hear a shot.  There can't be a whole helluva lot of 14/15-year old hunters statewide, so I doubt very highly that they're going to ruin your weekend.  How is it any different than if I were in the woods squirrel or coyote hunting?

• Like 5

Christ, your season is 46 days long.  At the expense of bow hunters?  Really?  You can't spare 3 out of 46?  I've been outside most of the morning and have yet to hear a shot.  There can't be a whole helluva lot of 14/15-year old hunters statewide, so I doubt very highly that they're going to ruin your weekend.  How is it any different than if I were in the woods squirrel or coyote hunting?

I agree with you 100% C.D.

Youths are given this "extra weekend" to hopefully raise the success level in young hunters. As sad as it makes me to say, hunting in NY is a dying sport and we need as much help as possible trying to get more people involved.

I don't think it will have an effect on any bow hunter, and if it does, who cares. It's 1 weekend and it's for the good of all hunting and hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If we are concerned with giving the new hunters the best chance of seeing deer, we really should be talking about opening day of gun season. Statistically that is the best opportunity for any hunters old or young. Coupled with those additional success odds is the fact that in many cases opening day exposes kids to the deer camp atmosphere which is a definite plus in recruitment. Add to that the fact that there are already potential mentors out there participating in hunting rather than having to talk someone into taking them out at some odd time. Add to that also, the fact that using opening day as an introduction to hunting also includes all family members and family friends which is an important add to the experience.

My question is that now that we have this "special youth hunt", what is actually being done to promote it. If the new hunters cannot find a mentor with free time to spend with them when the season is in progress, where are these "mentors" supposed to be coming from for a special youth hunt. Oh, and that problem is made even worse by picking a time when many potential mentors are planning on bow hunting instead (that was a brilliant move). Another question is have we just established a youth hunt and then wiped our hands clean of the fundamental components of the recruitment problems? Has there been any kind of campaign begun to encourage adult hunters to bring in new hunters? Or do we just now assume that since a special season has been created that all is now well in the world? I hear a lot of talk about the problem being solved with a special season and absolutely nothing about encouraging the adult hunting population to volunteer their time. No one is trying to convince the adult hunter population that they have to become a part of the solution. It's as though just coming up with a season is somehow going to create mentors where we previously had none.

I am of the opinion that when you try to brings kids into the sport by depriving them of the actual experience of hunting, i.e. deer camp and the camaraderie of the "whole experience" of hunting with friends and family, something is lost and mis-represented. But it has been decided that incoming hunters should be pulled out of the mainstream and shoved off into some isolated situation outside of hunting season like that is really some kind of solution. Simply make them fend for themselves as far as finding someone to take special time to arrange a mentorship and a separate hunt. I don't know, but to me it all seems to be a rather anemic, half-hearted, attempt rather than a well thought out recruitment plan.

Seems like there are some people who are all for promoting hunting and introducing the younger generation so as long as it doesn't interfere with their own hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

And that is the one part of the recruitment problem that no one is addressing. We came up with this special season, and now walk away patting ourselves on the back claiming "problem solved".