Reminder: Youth Season, Oct. 12 - 14th

Cabin Fever

I don't think the youth hunt shooting hurts the bow hunting at all. In my opinion the deer (believe it or not) are used to hearing shots, cars, fireworks, neighbors working on stuff in the yard, lawnmowers, logging skidders, kids in the yard, dogs barking, 4 wheelers etc.  It's when people really start pounding ground during gun season & doing drives that they get wise to us.  I was listening to all the neighborhood kids screaming at the top of their lungs in my yard 300 yards from my tree stand when I killed my nice 8pt that was 15 yards from me in early NZ bow. He did not have a concern in the world.  Top reasons the bucks won't come to/by your stand-

1) you hunt the stand too often, should never hunt the same stand more than once or twice in one week. Just entering the area you are leaving trace scent. Guess what? The smarter ones catch on to this quickly!

2) You are coming into the stand at the wrong time of day - trail cameras are the best tool in the world for this- USE THEM! pictures do NOT lie! If the deer are already in the immediate area before light and you show up, they got you pinned and have been successfully educated!

3) You are not taking a scent free shower & using scent free laundry soap/not storing your hunting stuff correctly that it won't pick up human/food scent.

4) You showed up to the stand when the wind was not right for that spot = educated deer!

• Like 1

As far as Germane to youth season I was simply honestly answering YOUR question..

You said in your first post in this topic that you don't care for it because of all the illegal things it leads to. I fail to see how a 3 day youth season will lead to anything illegal simply because it's a youth season. These illegal things would happen anyway. In case you haven't noticed, people who break the law don't normally care about the law or what season it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

My fiance's little bro took a good sized doe out of Allegheny yesterday . I dont think anybody belongs in the woods with a gun until they have completed at least 2 years of archery first , young or old .

I clicked the "like" button too soon.  I'm very happy for the Jr. hunter that scored but disagree with the second sentence.

Congrats to the youngsters!

• Like 3

You said in your first post in this topic that you don't care for it because of all the illegal things it leads to. I fail to see how a 3 day youth season will lead to anything illegal simply because it's a youth season. These illegal things would happen anyway. In case you haven't noticed, people who break the law don't normally care about the law or what season it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

I 'm sure that all the gun shots for deer that you hear during the youth season are not all being made by youths.I still think it is a good thing for the most part and wish they had one when I was young.Congrats to all the young hunters!

My fiance's little bro took a good sized doe out of Allegheny yesterday . I dont think anybody belongs in the woods with a gun until they have completed at least 2 years of archery first , young or old .

Congrats to the young hunter! But not understanding your reasoning behind the 2 year archery deal. Either way congrats!

Bow hunting is not for everyone. I think I understand what you are getting at, because bow hunting, if you are going to be successful at it does require some pretty detailed understanding of the whitetail, it's habitat and patterns. And yes those are all good things for even a gun hunter to understand thoroughly. But to try to force participation in one activity as a requirement for another, probably would result in a net loss of hunters, at a time when that is already happening at an alarming rate. And like I said, not everyone is or wants to be a bow hunter.

• Like 2

The number of "we" that got hooked has been declining for years.

So let's keep doing the same and wait for the results to change.

except for the season that is affected by the hunt has been increasing in numbers for years...

surprised that so many bow hunters don't want to share the woods with kids, they may never see or hear, for a few days out of a 45 day season. I understand not wanting any interference but just think it may make all the difference for that one kid getting involved in the outdoors 

we will and do gladly share it with any 14 year old bowhunter.

If I go out with my son bow hunting this weekend its not a problem. If I go to the same spot with him but with gun it upsets people.  Whats the real difference?

if you really need an answer to that, you haven't hunted a lot of gun seasons. A deer 1 week into gun season is nothing like a deer a day before opening day.

There was a bunch of shooting from the neighbors north of us. Sounded mostly like 20 gauges. But I hate when I hear 2 or 3 shots at a burst. Hope the kids got their deer at least. Bunch of bird hunters to the east. You can tell the difference. One is in the fields, the other the hardwoods. My father intentionally hunted one of our most northern stands. He had does running spooked and blowing even before the guns went off.

Edited by Belo

Did you or do you report the illegal activity?  If not you are just as guilty.  I know I know dec sucks never get anyone to show up etc etc.

I believe her point is that a lone gun shot in archery is easy to report. But during youth it's hard to report when it could be legitimate. I see and hear this kind of stuff around me as well, but that's not my biggest concern with the season. For me, I still don't see how this is increasing recruitment or resembling reality. Any youth who would sit in the woods with a gun in october is going to do it in november too.

Guess I can't be certain, just seemed coincidental that it started the same morning of the youth Hunt and was just the one group of 5 shots. Don't think you are allowed to load 5 for waterfowl... and generally you'll hear duck hunters a few times. If it was a grouse/pheasant hunter unloading at a bird... that's gonna be one f'd up bird.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Youve never heard of a few guys hunting together? Especially waterfowl or bird? Come on man, you know what ASSumptions do, right?

• Like 2

By the way, over the weekend I got 4 or 5 reports of youths taking their first deer. Congrats to them and their mentors.

I saw just as many deer this weekend as I have the other days of the season. There was a Pheasants Forever event on the state land , not all that far from one of the places I hunt. Dogs running, people shooting, etc. Guess what? Still saw deer, could have killed quite a few of them too.

• Like 1

All to often deer hunters forget that there have always been other season's running concurrent with theirs. Wether you agree or disagree with a youth season doesn't matter, there has always been small game and Duck hunting going on and I would find it impossible to tell what someone is shooting at from a simple sound of gun fire.

• Like 1

5 or 6 shots near your fields are generally duck or geese. loan or 2 or 3 shots in the hardwoods are generally deer or turkey. a loan or couple 22 shots are generally squirrel. it's not that hard if you know your land. Not a lot of duck hunters in the hardwoods.

How about Rabbit, Grouse, Pheasant, Squirrel, Turkey, screwing around in the Hardwoods? The point is, you have NO idea what some one is doing unless you can see them. (It ain't Goose season right now, at least around me)

• Like 2

Spent all day Sat in a tree with my  in Allegany State Park, only saw a couple hunters with their kids heading out from the cabins around 6 AM when I was moving out.  Didn't hear a shot all day and never saw another hunter.  The park was packed with people, but there is plenty of room for all of us out there.  (64,000 acres)

Did have a nice talk with a guy and his kid after dark in town, and they didn't see anyone either.  Kid was still pretty excited to be out though, and that's a good thing.

Congratz to your future little bro-in-law Jeremy K - the park can be tough hunting, glad someone knew where to take him!