What Rifle/Scope/Ammo Are You Shooting A Deer With This Year?

ridgerunner88

I won't be hunting this year because all of my firearms were lost in a mysterious, unfortunate boating accident in the middle of Seneca Lake...

Instead of hunting I am going to volunteer  my time to the Committee to Re-elect Governor Hochul....

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I won't be hunting this year because all of my firearms were lost in a mysterious, unfortunate boating accident in the middle of Seneca Lake...

Instead of hunting I am going to volunteer  my time to the Committee to Re-elect Governor Hochul....

Fantastic , with your charm and animal magnetism she’s a shoe in ^_^..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For the September 10 early antlerless gun opener, I will most likely go with my T/C Omega 50 cal ML with 240 XTP bullets and 100 gr T7 powder, with Redfield wide field 2-7X scope for my first doe, and my Ithaca model 37 Featherlight, 16 ga, with 24” long, smoothbore deerslayer barrel, 4/5 oz Remington sluggers, and Weaver 1-1/2X scope, for my second.

Unless it’s raining, in which case, I will use my Remington 870 express with 18” smoothbore slug barrel, factory open sights, and Federal classic 1 oz foster slugs.

For early northern zone ML season, I will go with the same T/C Omega as above, and also for sz ML seasons.  

For nz gun opening weekend, and Thanksgiving weekend up there, I will go with my father in law’s Marlin 336 30/30 with Marlin 3-9X scope, and 150 gr Win super X ammo.  If it’s raining then, I will use my fiber optic sighted Marlin 336BL with the same loads.

For sz gun season, my primary gun will be my Marlin 512 Slugmaster bolt-action 12 ga with Redfield revolution 2-7x scope, and 2-3/4” Hornady SST’s.   I will also use the two other shotguns mentioned above (Ithaca at my parent’s place, Rem 870 in the rain).

Just 4 days until go time, and all the guns and ammo are sighted in and ready to go.  I am hoping for (8) deer this year. The T/C Omega has already taken one, on January 1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcade Hunter said:

Nice!  Just got mine ready to go yesterday.  Cant wait till Saturday morning

I don't even own any other gun for deer. I started with a 12 gauge but hated the weight and recoil. One shot is fine by me... Any gun seems almost too easy after a month of bowhunting.

• Like 1

Weatherby Vanguard 25-06, TRACT Toric 3-15x44, 100 Grain Barnes TTSX

Winchester model 70 stainless 243 win, Leupold 3-14?x40, 80 grain Barness TTSX

CVA Accura V2, Nikon 3-9x40, 70 grains by weight of BH209, 250 grain Barnes TMZ

if time allows....Remington 7600 carbine 35 Whelen, Leupold 2-7x32, 200 grain Barnes TTSX

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Winchester model 94 30/30 I've had since I was 17. With a Bushnell banner 4x scope with the circle reticle. 160 grain Hornady lever revolution. Already made sure it was ready to go. 1" high at 100.... perfect.

2152445c073b4c3bf0e454ee6229e4b8.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Probably the only shot you took with that gun on that outing. That ammo is rare as hens teeth these days!

• Like 1