What Rifle/Scope/Ammo Are You Shooting A Deer With This Year?

ridgerunner88

Probably the only shot you took with that gun on that outing. That ammo is rare as hens teeth these days!
It was the only shot. Lol. I was on a waiting list at buds since 2020 for it. And OF Course get notification it's available this weekend. Just after they sent me a notification that as of Sept 1 they will no longer ship to NY.

Thanks to another member here I have a decent supply. And the rate I use it, will last me a long time. I haven't shot a deer in gun season in like 4 years.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've seen core lokt at Walmart in the last couple of weeks. But haven't seen the Hornady on the shelf anywhere in 3 years.

You know, my Henry 30-30 loves core lokt and it killed deer just fine.  I have at least 10 boxes of that but bought the lever action based on the hype.  

• Like 3

You know, my Henry 30-30 loves core lokt and it killed deer just fine.  I have at least 10 boxes of that but bought the lever action based on the hype.  
Mine was ok with Winchester silver tips too but it def likes the lever revolution the best that I've found. But would def shoot whatever I would need to for availability. Considering I rarely take a deer during gun anymore I likely have enough in 5 boxes for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

I'll use my uncles .50 omega handed down to me from his son for the start of the season. Great open site gun,  350gr hornady FPB and 100gr of T7 powder.  Once the leaves fall off the trees I'll switch to my 1994 ruger mini 30 ( old faithful ) with a nikon scope.

• Like 1

Ithaca 12 Ga Deerslayer. Simmons 8 point scope. Federal Power Shok slugs. 
Will also have the Browning BPS 12 Ga with rifled sights out. Federal Power Shok also for the Browning.

Looking for a cantilever barrel for the Browning if anyone knows someplace to find one. If they have a second one I’ll take 2 (brother has the same gun). I can’t find one anywhere. Even Browning doesn’t have any. I’ve heard barrels are hard to come by no matter the manufacturer so I’m not holding my breath on finding one this year.  

Edited by boo711

L/H Browning x bolt  H/C speed 6.5 cm custom 24 inch bartlien . 1/8 twist barrel , Metopia 6x42 optics/leapould 2 pc rings handloaded   143 hrndy eldx ,

L/,H X Bolt   medallion 280 ai /150 grain hrndy eldx

Matthews bow  CUSTOM  muzzle loader by gun works 

Edited by TLR
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, boo711 said:

Ithaca 12 Ga Deerslayer. Simmons 8 point scope. Federal Power Shok slugs. 
Will also have the Browning BPS 12 Ga with rifled sights out. Federal Power Shok also for the Browning.

Looking for a cantilever barrel for the Browning if anyone knows someplace to find one. If they have a second one I’ll take 2 (brother has the same gun). I can’t find one anywhere. Even Browning doesn’t have any. I’ve heard barrels are hard to come by no matter the manufacturer so I’m not holding my breath on finding one this year.  

They have the Camo cantilever rifled barrels for 3 " chambered BPS  in stock at Midwest Gunworks .   The new Matte finish barrels for $429 are out of stock everywhere . These camo barrels for a 3" chamber are $459 . 

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/b122190018

Savage Axis II with the stock weaver scope in .308 shooting 150gr Hornady American Whitetails. I have this one ready to go, sighted an inch low at 75 yds.

I also have the new Howa 1500 in 6.5 cr topped with a Nikon Prostaff, but ammo has been hard to come by at a reasonable price for that one. Then there's the .350L that I'd love to take a deer with, but need to get it to the range before I take it in the woods. 

• Like 2

Super red hawk 44mag shooting 270 grain Speer deep curls with ultradot red dot . 
I might take out granddads 300 savage 99 , Burris scope , 165 grain Speer  hot cores . 
Wife will be carrying her Weatherby Camilla in 7-08 Leopold scope , Speer 145 grain hot core bullet . 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 10:34 AM, Bolt action said:

Savage Axis II with the stock weaver scope in .308 shooting 150gr Hornady American Whitetails. I have this one ready to go, sighted an inch low at 75 yds.

I also have the new Howa 1500 in 6.5 cr topped with a Nikon Prostaff, but ammo has been hard to come by at a reasonable price for that one. Then there's the .350L that I'd love to take a deer with, but need to get it to the range before I take it in the woods. 

Walmart near Chili had a few boxes of 6.5 yesterday for around $30 a box.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, moog5050 said:

Would you be willing to part with any 150 gr core lokt ?

I get over to your neighborhood somewhat regularly, for our daughter’s  college field hockey games.  Cash, or I could trade you many different types of 30/06 , 1 for 1, including military match ammo.  

20626004-7F0D-489A-9A2B-B5E87BEE1014.thumb.jpeg.98a733e66bea873ebbebf1b51ee250f6.jpeg

TC Omega 50 cal/Redfield Widefield 2-7/240 gr XTP bullet to the heart:  worked good from 10 or 15 yards last Tuesday. 

Unfortunately, I dropped the ML on the carpet in the basement while cleaning it that night, so I need to recheck the zero, prior to my next hunt on October 15.