Starter hunting guns for my sons

Sogaard

My twins will be turning 14 next summer, so I've starting looking for deer guns for them for the Holidays so they have enough time to practice.  I think I'm going with either a .270 or a .308.  When I first started looking, I was checking out bolt actions, but then I came across the TC Encore Pro Hunter Platform.  I know it's a single shot, but having the ability to buy turkey and MZ barrels instead of multiple guns sounds fantastic in the long run. 

Does anyone here have firsthand knowledge of the Encore and feel like sharing some advice?

Edited by Sogaard

I have a encore, and a contender

I would not recommend it personally, don't get me wrong they're great guns, however for what barrels cost, you're better off buying a different gun for different hunts,

you can get a pretty nice ruger American and save enough money to buy a decent shotgun

and every one would rather own two guns

• Like 1

Didn't someone on another post say they bought a compact Ruger for there child and it kicks too much, forgot the caliber. If it were me I would look for a used .243 or a  .270 with a Wooden stock.And an older single shot shot gun or guns.As they get older the might wan't to up grade.Or could go the other way Not Interested. 

If you're set on center-fire rifles, I'd go with a .270 Win or a .25-06.  Personally, once my daughter is old enough, she'll be hunting with my 20g slug gun.  It's deadly to 200 yds and I won't let her take a shot beyond 150 as long as she's hunting with me.  Unfortunately, I guess that means I'll have to get a new slug gun.  Well. maybe not.  Just in case Savage ever decides to stop making the 220F, I've got three brand new ones, still in boxes, unopened, in my gun room. 

Didn't someone on another post say they bought a compact Ruger for there child and it kicks too much, forgot the caliber. If it were me I would look for a used .243 or a  .270 with a Wooden stock.And an older single shot shot gun or guns.As they get older the might wan't to up grade.Or could go the other way Not Interested. 

might have been me, I bought a Ruger M77 ultralight in .308.......kicks like a mule, so he's been shooting the managed recoil ammo out of it.......I also picked up a T/C Venture for myself in .308, recoil is hardly noticeable. 

i've heard good things about the new rugers and the savage 308. I would also say that your boys will grow into the bigger guns. I would not pick a gun based on their starting age, assuming they're average height and weight. At 16 my 12 gauge gave me a good kick. Still does, but I'm glad I have a 12 gauge now and not a 20.

I have an Encore and love it. I use it for multiple uses. ML, 223 rifle, .308 win in a 15" pistol. If you keep you eyes open and check the Encore Classifieds there are very good deals to be had on barrels. What the other guys said is true about almost being able to buy multiple guns for the cost is true. The initial configuration I got was in ML and it was $700. My .223 barrel with a new foreend was $275 used with a scope. My 308 pistol barrel was $280 with a scope and stocks. SO for almost $1,300 I have three guns.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Guest FrostyLeaves

I am 15 years old and i am getting my own deer rifle this year and i chose the marlin 336 in 30-30. I hunted with it last year and it did the job with a very small amount of kick and its a great brush gun but is also fairly accurate at ranges of 175+ yds

Guest FrostyLeaves

I am 15 years old and i am getting my own deer rifle this year and i chose the marlin 336 in 30-30. I hunted with it last year and it did the job with a very small amount of kick and its a great brush gun but is also fairly accurate at ranges of 175+ yds

I've never been a big fan of guns with exposed hammers for kids just starting out, unless they have prior experience handling them. The fact that the hammer has to be let down by holding it back, pulling the trigger and easing it forward once it was fully cocked makes me a little uneasy.

• Like 2

I'd get the kid a less expensive bolt action rifle in something like a .308, and then an inexpensive pump shotgun in 12 gauge.  With this combo he's good to go for most anything.   I wouldn't give a kid a single shot weapon for taking game, most especially if their time afield will be limited.  Not like we could expect a kid to make a perfect shot, so having a quick second or third can mean the difference between a dead animal and one that got away.  Nothing that will ruin a kids confidence or their interest in hunting altogether quicker than NOT putting the first animal he shoots down for keeps.   

I was going to recommend the Marlin 30-30 with the reduced recoil load, but I thought about the hammer.  Having to gently lower the hamer on a cocked rifle may be a bit tricky for new shooter.  That is the gun I started deer hunting with and I still use it today.  I never focused much on recoil, too focused on the shot.  Reality is they just need to shoot their new gun a few times to get familiar with it, beyond that you really hope they just shoot it once in the woods.

My first rifle was 30-06 it was ok for my age at the time but I ended up getting a 270.and loved it.

Why not a 243. if you're deer hunting its a good round. I know a lot of people disagree but thats fine, my uncle has a bad back and shoulder and can not have much kick and the 243 is nice a doing the job. Deer always are found and some time pile right up like they got hit with a bigger caliber.

I would try and have em put some rounds down see what he likes see if the kick has a effect in his groupings.

Good Luck