Shoulder troubles

irish_redneck

Lol....that wasn't meant as a diagnosis!....It was to let you know you shouldn't be foolish like me and continue to suffer....just go to the Dr.'s

some thing else to consider...continued use of a damaged joint...will set you up for arthritis down the road...even if you do get it fixed eventually....                                                                

• Like 1

Lol....that wasn't meant as a diagnosis!....It was to let you know you shouldn't be foolish like me and continue to suffer....just go to the Dr.'s

some thing else to consider...continued use of a damaged joint...will set you up for arthritis down the road...even if you do get it fixed eventually....

U certainly have that to look forward to after yours :( ... Nature of the beast ... Then the weather will def let u know ...

Well, being a guy that always goes after the obvious first, and since you never mentioned it ..... at what draw weight was this Oneida Eagle set at? Is it possibly as simple as reducing the poundage a bit? I find that most of the shoulder/back/elbow/wrist archery related injuries are caused by those who abuse their bodies through some unreasonable bow draw weight.

OE was set to 65. New bow is also set to 65. Right now it hurts at all times. When it was "better" it would only give me a twinge if I reached for something poorly... often say if I reached back for something. My whole arm and hand right now feel "tired" with1 some numbness in my thumb I guess. Ever since the first time this happened I've felt like my shoulder was "delicate".

Sitting here doing this on my phone, my shoulder aches when I move my thumb across the keypad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Deer passion , yesterday I was holding the sheets overhead as someone else screwed them down. I was also sitting for about 4 hours without moving much prior to the draw. There is a definite warmth sensation in my arm and neck. What grow described as s hot poker seems pretty accurate and I think there may have been a "pop" with the onset of pain. Guess I should just suck it up and go to the ER.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Well you def have some inflammation going with the warmth or hot feeling u describe and numbness in your thumb ... Swelling can put pressure on the nerve as it runs from ur neck , through your shoulder, and down to your hand ... Everything's pointing towards a laberal tear but like I said without a physical exam I can't say for certain .... If u can immobilize it with a sling and not use it at all as well as get some ice on there in 20 min intervals.. Don't leave the ice on there longer than that at one time, the body tricks itself into thinking its too cold after a while and sends more blood there which will make ur swelling and pain worse... Hate ta say it but it doesn't at least improve somewhat in the next day or two , gotta get er cheched out...

Papist , certainly not ! Icing constricts blood vessels and drives fluid out ,also slows metabolic function of inflammatory agents in the area. it's the problem when u exceed that 15 to 20 min mark when the body tricks itself into thinking the area is at risk for damage from cold and THEN dialates vessels to get more blood flow to the area to warm it up bringing fluid with it...

But again that's in the acute stages... Once u get to that 10 day or so mark u want to heat it or ultrasound , some type of modality to bring blood flow to the area bringing nutrients for repair as well as other white blood cells to break up and clear away some of that fibrotic tissue that develops with prolonged inflammation ...

ok so he initially stated he had direct injury and pain 5 years or so ago.  Recently he fell with outstretched arms off a ladder and has done some overhead heavy lifting with pain.  His most recent exacerbation he complains of warmth or burning in the shoulder and numbness or tingling in the thumb.  Being that the initial injury is chronic in nature and recently had a flare up with these symptoms and now weakness and pain in the shoulder the inflammatory process is present.  The body does naturally initiate inflammation to make the area painful to protect against further injury.  However you do want to minimize that initial inflammation to a certain extent so increased fluid in the area does not cause further tissue damage.  I say ice now because you want to slow down the metabolic function of the chemical irritants, reduce pressure on structures in the area ( radial nerve being he has numbness and tingling in his thumb) and constrict blood vessels.    Then once that initial onslaught of the chemical irritation has slowed down, around that 10 day or so mark you want to increase blood flow to the area to bring with it nutrients for tissue repair, white blood cells to break up fibrotic tissue that has developed from the initial inflammation, and blood flow will get rid of metabolic waste clearing out the area in preparation for tissue regeneration.  The deal with ice is, is that it constricts blood vessels, slows metabolic function yada yada, but you want to only leave it on for 15 - 20 minutes at the most at one time because anything longer than that the central nervous system kicks in saying the area is at risk for tissue damage because it get too cold, like an inherent protective measure.  so then CNS will dialate vessels to bring blood to the area to warm it up !    so some people say , oh ya i put this ice on here for an hour and it even more swollen than before, thats why ... timing is everything with it.... but without a physical exam i can't say for sure whether it is muscle related ( rotator cuff) or inert tissue ( labrum or ligamentous) so if he is having pain and weakness with any motion you want to immobilize and ice , and then see if symptoms improve, if not in 2 to 3 days , he most likely will want to see an orthopedic surgeon or preferably a certified orthopedic physical therapist for evaluation...