Jumping the string?

IronBucks

Plain and simple I have seen the difference between a fast bow and a slow bow and it can be dramatic.  But I have seen deer duck arrows that were over 300fps at less than 25 yards so speed is still not fast enough for an alert deer IMO.  Is it a bad shot, yes but in the heat of the moment most hunters will take the shot on a deer within 30 yards.  Experience and knowledge of your prey dictate what is right and the more that person has the better judge they become at when to take the shot.  I shoot my bow a lot out to 60 yards effectively but on an alert deer that goes down to about 20 yards or less and up to 50 realistically if un-alert or bedded.  I try using a call as I am shooting to mask the string, they stare directly at you so shoot when you start the call.  Maaa  Might give you that extra second... 

Plain and simple I have seen the difference between a fast bow and a slow bow and it can be dramatic.  But I have seen deer duck arrows that were over 300fps at less than 25 yards so speed is still not fast enough for an alert deer IMO.  Is it a bad shot, yes but in the heat of the moment most hunters will take the shot on a deer within 30 yards.  Experience and knowledge of your prey dictate what is right and the more that person has the better judge they become at when to take the shot.  I shoot my bow a lot out to 60 yards effectively but on an alert deer that goes down to about 20 yards or less and up to 50 realistically if un-alert or bedded.  I try using a call as I am shooting to mask the string, they stare directly at you so shoot when you start the call.  Maaa  Might give you that extra second... 

I agree that the fastest quietest bows can still be heard and ducked by an alert deer but the faster the arrow the less that deer will be able to react. That's just simple physics. Also another thing to think about is even with the fastest bows shooting an arrow @ idk 330-340 ish fps speed of sound travels at approx. 1,085 fps. I've heard of alert deer having reflexes or reaction of about .05 seconds.

Let's get scientific here.  My bow is rated at 305 feet/second but that peak performance in a lab.  I chronoed my arrows at actually only travelling around 210 feet/second.

A deer at 25 yard means they're 75 feet away.  If I shot my arrow at a deer at 75 feet away, my arrow will reach it in 0.357 seconds.

The deer won't react until it hears my bow but it won't hear it instantly.  It has to wait till the sound wave to reach its ear.  Sound travels at 1,126 feet/second.  It'll get to the deer in 0.067 seconds which means my arrow will have a slight head start.  0.357 minus 0.067 means the deer has 0.290 seconds from when it hears my bow go off till my arrow reaches it.

When the deer hears the bow, it still has to tell its muscles to move.  Unfortunately brain waves moves at a ridiculous speed.  115,197 feet/second.  The ear drum has to send a signal to the brain (mere inches), the brain has to process it and send a signal to its muscles (2 to 4 feet?).  Brain waves will cover 4 feet in 0.0000347 which is such a small figure that it isn't worth factoring since it'll make little difference.

So now, the question is how much can the deer move in 0.290 seconds?  University of Manchester recently did a research on the force of a punch.  They used professional boxer Ricky Hatton as an subject.  They clocked his fastest punch at 32 miles per hour which is almost as fast as a deer can run.  That's 46.933 feet per second.  In 0.290 seconds, Hatton's punch would have travelled 13.6 feet.  Plenty of time to dodge an arrow completely.

Two factors that are not considered in this calculation that will slow the deer down.  One, how quickly will the brain process the noise as a sign of danger.  It will definitely process the information a lot faster if it was on high alert.  Two, the calculation of how fast Hatton's punch is travelling as well as the top speed of a running deer is based on their top max speed.  They don't go from 0 to 32 mile per hour instantly.  It takes time to accelerate.  But a deer doesn't have to travel 13.6 feet to evade an arrow.  Some times it just has to move a few inches.

Something to consider.

The string jump or matrix moveas my son calls it. Is very real happens alot every one that bow hunts WILL have it happen to them at some point if you can see there eyes they can see you and there going to be ready to run in the blink of your eye and as was stated in above post there going to drop there bodys to run always aim the lower 1/3 of the chest if they have an eye on you good luck and be safe

Let's get scientific here.  My bow is rated at 305 feet/second but that peak performance in a lab.  I chronoed my arrows at actually only travelling around 210 feet/second.

A deer at 25 yard means they're 75 feet away.  If I shot my arrow at a deer at 75 feet away, my arrow will reach it in 0.357 seconds.

The deer won't react until it hears my bow but it won't hear it instantly.  It has to wait till the sound wave to reach its ear.  Sound travels at 1,126 feet/second.  It'll get to the deer in 0.067 seconds which means my arrow will have a slight head start.  0.357 minus 0.067 means the deer has 0.290 seconds from when it hears my bow go off till my arrow reaches it.

When the deer hears the bow, it still has to tell its muscles to move.  Unfortunately brain waves moves at a ridiculous speed.  115,197 feet/second.  The ear drum has to send a signal to the brain (mere inches), the brain has to process it and send a signal to its muscles (2 to 4 feet?).  Brain waves will cover 4 feet in 0.0000347 which is such a small figure that it isn't worth factoring since it'll make little difference.

So now, the question is how much can the deer move in 0.290 seconds?  University of Manchester recently did a research on the force of a punch.  They used professional boxer Ricky Hatton as an subject.  They clocked his fastest punch at 32 miles per hour which is almost as fast as a deer can run.  That's 46.933 feet per second.  In 0.290 seconds, Hatton's punch would have travelled 13.6 feet.  Plenty of time to dodge an arrow completely.

Two factors that are not considered in this calculation that will slow the deer down.  One, how quickly will the brain process the noise as a sign of danger.  It will definitely process the information a lot faster if it was on high alert.  Two, the calculation of how fast Hatton's punch is travelling as well as the top speed of a running deer is based on their top max speed.  They don't go from 0 to 32 mile per hour instantly.  It takes time to accelerate.  But a deer doesn't have to travel 13.6 feet to evade an arrow.  Some times it just has to move a few inches.

Something to consider.

That is great info.. When we were young we did a little test to settle this debate among our group. My friend shot an arrow at a target while i stood behind him with my back to him. At the sound of the shot I would drop. I came close to hitting the ground before the arrow hit the target. This was years ago, of course, so I was faster and the bow was slower. There is no doubt that a deer, esp an alert deer, can move a long way at the sound of the shot.

deer do jump the string... mostly you're worried about up and down, not left and right.  although if you're holding tight to the shoulder a deer can spin around to run away and cause you to impact the shoulder.  deer aren't jumping the string intentionally though.  it's their reaction to the sound of your bow.  they'll "load up" their front legs to jump away and start running.  it's similar to when you jump in place and crouch initially to do it.

relative to jumping the string... the idea is to never take a quartering towards you shot.  the idea is their front half of body drops much more than the back half so your point of aim won't be moved out of the way by the deer as much with a slightly quartering away shot.  same thing should be considered when taking a frontal shot with a gun.  I don't like to do it, if possible.  instead of aiming half way up or centered in the vitals, aim a 1/3 up from the bottom (heart area).  this compensates for the deer loading up or "jumping the string".  if the deer doesn't react you've made a heart shot, and if it does then you're still half way up or centered in the lungs.