Pheasant Hunting at Stewart?

sfisk

Has anyone has any luck here? I'm looking at the area North of Weed Rd. by the DEP field office. Have no dog just my me and my Son. Been slogging through fields up to shoulder high at the Great Swamp in Patterson last 2 Sundays. Saw plenty of piles of feathers, just no birds. For almost 5 hours of walking we only flushed one hen between the 2 days. Cover is too heavy there, I think you really need a dog.

Anyone know any other good spots? Coming from Putnam County, 3N region, but will travel an hour or so.

The grass in most places are a lot taller than the past recent years which makes it tough for hunters without dogs and even hunters with dogs.  I was walking through the corn with corn starks towering over me, even if a bird jump I wouldn't be able to shoot it because when I looked up I can't even see sky.  I see corn.  Last couple of years were not that tough.

Thanks Shawnhu and Elmo. I thought it was a little early, maybe after a few hard frosts those weeds will start to fall over. 

Well if anyone is ever interested in having a couple more "beaters and shooters" on a hunt just shoot me a PM.

-Steve

Those weedy fields/meadows really are too high right now without a dog.  I hadn't seen any deer in the morning lately, so I listened to my wife and went looking for turkey on Saturday morning and planned to look for deer in the afternoon if didn't bag any turkey or pheasant.

The ideal turkey areas were taken already, so i decide to try out the field on the north end - a stone's throw from I-84.

I hiked through to the woods bordering in the swamp and set up for turkey - only saw a couple small non-game birds and one squirrel - gave up at 10:30 and figure I would try to chase up some pheasant as they do release some birds near there.  30 yards from from the field I walked up on a doe.  So I slip back to the car to pack up the gun and grab the recurve.

Tried to trail the doe but the weeds quickly reached should height - hard to tell before I started in as I was going up hill and the weeds started at waist height by the trail.  Bow was snagging on the weeds constantly - no way to take shot in there with the bow if I did find her again.

Even if I stuck with the the gun and shot a pheasant, I would probably never find it unless I had a bird dog.  I saw 3 other areas that are known for pheasant in the same condition.  Hope they work on the fields soon.

If they gave me the keys to a tractor with the brush hog attached I could clean some of that mess up.

By the way some areas in Sterling Forest are looking similar.  The wild blackberry bushes are taking over a field and blocking some old trails and abandoned roads I was on a couple weeks ago.  Last year saw some deer on those old trails and roads, and took pheasant in that same field that I can't walk through now.

We will not see any mowing this year,hopefully in the early spring,time has come to put pressure on region 3 to get back in the wildlife management business,all the WMA are used by local and out of towners

and spend their dollars locally,tell them to stock the pheasants properly and get back in the wildlife business,mowing and planting,like before the budget crunch we have the dollars in the fund but they do not

release them to the regions,only in drips and drabs,hatchery's are not in great shape,pheasant farm is being pressured by the local trail people

We will not see any mowing this year,hopefully in the early spring,time has come to put pressure on region 3 to get back in the wildlife management business,all the WMA are used by local and out of towners

and spend their dollars locally,tell them to stock the pheasants properly and get back in the wildlife business,mowing and planting,like before the budget crunch we have the dollars in the fund but they do not

release them to the regions,only in drips and drabs,hatchery's are not in great shape,pheasant farm is being pressured by the local trail people

Hunting Stewart with a dog is difficult at best, without a dog it is even harder but not impossible it does have a lot to do with timing and knowledge of the area.

I put up four last week out of Stewart , I harvested the first one, the second flew towards the road , the fourth one the dog blew up before I got there while she was chasing the third bird that I don't want to talk about.

Has anyone has any luck here? I'm looking at the area North of Weed Rd. by the DEP field office. Have no dog just my me and my Son. Been slogging through fields up to shoulder high at the Great Swamp in Patterson last 2 Sundays. Saw plenty of piles of feathers, just no birds. For almost 5 hours of walking we only flushed one hen between the 2 days. Cover is too heavy there, I think you really need a dog.

Anyone know any other good spots? Coming from Putnam County, 3N region, but will travel an hour or so.

SF...  try over on Forester Road. I walked up on the bird and flushed him and the fields are a little better there and some are mowed. Just passed by there today.  Good luck. 

SF...  try over on Forester Road. I walked up on the bird and flushed him and the fields are a little better there and some are mowed. Just passed by there today.  Good luck. 

Yep Forester road has some nice fields off route 207 in Rock Tavern parking areas 69 and 70 I never hunt them but pass by at work and see pheasant on a regular basis

Thanks for all the info and tips everyone, I think we'll head over to Forester Rd tomorrow. Funny I worked right up the road a piece from Rock Tavern for a few years, used to eat at Johnny's Pizzeria and that great Hot Dog trailer on 17K almost daily!

the Putnam Co. Federation of Sportsman clubs stocks pheasant throughout the early part of the season up till almost the gun deer season,along with the state stockings and there are more than

one,also Cranberry Mtn and Ninham mtn,there are two parking areas at Cranberry Mtn,the other is about two hundred yards further up the road,also try lafayetteville in Dutchess Co.