Which primer is best

luberhill

I don't understand the point of this post then. You've ran them, seen no difference, and now asking what are the best of what you have? 

Pick one if they are all the same to you and your piece.

JMO.

Edited by phade
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

I don't understand the point of this post then. You've ran them, seen no difference, and now asking what are the best of what you have? 

Pick one if they are all the same to you and your piece.

JMO.

Yea I know just looking for input I guess to see if anyone has any better info

sounds like you're good if they all shoot the same. when i used 50 and 30 gr 777 pellets I used Remington Cleanbore, winchester 777 primers. they both had good accuracy with certain loads but depending on how much powder or pellet i was using there was a difference on how much fouling was left or perceivable crud ring. winchester 777 209s seem a bit hotter or more of a louder pop. Remingtons worked great too though.  

20 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

sounds like you're good if they all shoot the same. when i used 50 and 30 gr 777 pellets I used Remington Cleanbore, winchester 777 primers. they both had good accuracy with certain loads but depending on how much powder or pellet i was using there was a difference on how much fouling was left or perceivable crud ring. winchester 777 209s seem a bit hotter or more of a louder pop. Remingtons worked great too though.  

I loved the KleenBores until I switched to BH209 and had some untimely hang fires

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I loved the KleenBores until I switched to BH209 and had some untimely hang fires

yea switching to BH209 i don't use them anymore. CCI 209M and a 1/8" drill bit turned by hand in my TC Prohunter breech plug to keep good ignition.

• Like 1

If I'm using T7 loose or pellets I use the Remington clean bore muzzleloader primers . You're going to have to swab the barrel every few shots if at the range due to crud ring . I use a 50/50 water / windex mix myself for quick clean up.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:36 AM, G-Man said:

777  the others are hotter and will push pellets down barrel before ignition. 

I have shot them all, including 777. I have found unburned pellets downrange smoking from all the pellets. I dont think it is from the pellets themselves, i think it is from poor ignition of the forward pellet.

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I have shot them all, including 777. I have found unburned pellets downrange smoking from all the pellets. I dont think it is from the pellets themselves, i think it is from poor ignition of the forward pellet.

I hate pellets . Cant get uniformity from them nor proper effecient  loads. I only use loose powder. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

What measuring tool do you use?

Powder scale same as for my rifle/piston reloading.   Then put in reloading vials/speed loaders.   Your rifle should have a sharp crack and minimal smoke leaving the barrel .. otherwise your just blowing unburned powder out the barrel... there is a reason they made long barreled guns like the long rifle or great plains rifles  more powder needs a longer barrel to burn it all..  

Yes theyvhave faster burning black powder substitutes now but  most people are still just waisting  powder.. 

My colt  musket only ises 36 grains. My kentucky long rifle 85. My cva optima shoot  95 the best . My kentucky pistol shoots 55 grains. My other rifles all shoot different loads as well .. none end in a round divisable divisable pellet grain . ... i see no way to get that  out of pellets...

True black powder shooting is the same as guys that worry about arrow weight. Consistant grain broadheads and fletching. Or the person that chooses to hand load to get maximum performance out of your pistols or rifles...

You can get along with industry "standards" or get the most out of your weapons by  spending a little time with "tuning" them.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Black powder/substitutes are all intended to me measured by volume, so use a black powder  measure. You can certainly set up a smokeless powder measure for the same volume, but the amount will vary if you go by weight.

Yes but black powder is measured by grains.. 

• Like 1