Road Kill Antlers

Five Seasons

A guy I went to school with took the head of a beautiful buck and was going to have it mounted . The DEC came to his house and demanded he turn it over to them . At first he denied having it but was told that if he didn't hand it over , they would further investigate and prosecute him . He gave in ..... which leads me to believe that it is illegal .

• Like 1

I was told by a dec officer before that you need to call them or or the police and usually they will put a tag on it for you or if you don't want to try that you have to use your own tag other wise it's illegal.

• Like 4

if you dig deep enough you'll find that shed hunting on state land is also illegal, by the letter of the law you can't keep anything from state land

you got to love ny

see that's what gets me. What is the difference when you boil it down between a shed and a roadkill? For what it's worth, I have no need for these roadkills other than maybe decorating my garden shed or something haha.

I do believe what some of you guys are posting, but I guess I'd like to see it in print. If someone has a link I think we would all appreciate it. I've read the reg rules front and back and never seen anything claiming it to be illegal.

I know someone who hit a deer with their car, the state trooper who responded made her use one of her own tags to keep the deer. In this case I think the trooper was in the wrong and that Dec would have replaced the tag if she contacted them.

A few years ago I shot a 4 point that came through that was visibly hurting. Eco came to my land, verified it was bad meat, verified I'd tagged it legally.he then gave me a new tag and let me keep the rack for rattling and the carcass for coyotes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have taken 2 road killed deer for their antlers, each time I called DEC from the site where I found them and they took my info, told me to take it home and an Officer would meet me at my house to give me a tag, and they did...........according to them, you need a tag if you're going to possess any part of a deer, whether it be the meat or antlers............I have an ECL manual, and it pretty much says that as well.

Thinking about it in terms of them ever proving you did something wrong, unless it was a fresh head, there would be no way for them to know it wasn't a rack that you or your brother or father etc harvested years before. Unless you're mandated to keep filled tags for ever.. which I don't think we are. My main feeling is that if you're not doing anything illegal then why not call, it probably gets added into their statistical analysis too when they know it's sex / points etc.

If you don't call them then how do they know you didn't just jack a deer and cut off its head? I know I've come across headless or back strapped deer before.

it was easy enough to call and get permission to take it......if you don't get permission, then they can assume you jacked it and charge you for possessing the parts.

But let's say for the sake of argument that someone beheads belos 104 buck, throw it in the back of the truck and continues home. They get stopped at a checkpoint for inspection or what not. "I took this off a roadkill deer" "how do I know that?, did you call DEC ?" "No I don't legally have to". "Please exit the vehicle sir"

Thinking about it in terms of them ever proving you did something wrong, unless it was a fresh head, there would be no way for them to know it wasn't a rack that you or your brother or father etc harvested years before. Unless you're mandated to keep filled tags for ever.. which I don't think we are. My main feeling is that if you're not doing anything illegal then why not call, it probably gets added into their statistical analysis too when they know it's sex / points etc.

yeah I have no doubt that calling an ECO would be the correct thing to do, but I'm not about to waste some officers time for some roadkill when I'd rather he be looking for poachers. I also don't keep old tags to your point. I just wonder why it's not spelled out in the book. I think I'll just pass on pulling over haha.

Edited by Belo

yeah I have no doubt that calling an ECO would be the correct thing to do, but I'm not about to waste some officers time for some roadkill when I'd rather he be looking for poachers. I also don't keep old tags to your point. I just wonder why it's not spelled out in the book. I think I'll just pass on pulling over haha.

How would you suppose they catch poachers? Maybe pull people over and check their trunks for antlers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free