Road Kill Antlers

Five Seasons

How would you suppose they catch poachers? Maybe pull people over and check their trunks for antlers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My point, is that if he's out on patrol, i'd rather he stay patrolling then come to my house so i can nail a 6 point rack to my barn off a roadkill. It's not worth the hassle to me.

Because that book does not include every single law, it is a simple guide not a law book.

I don't think a small paragraph on roadkill, dead deer found in the woods, injured deer etc would be a waste. Sounds like there's confusion even here. I know a guy that was issued another tag for shooting a wounded buck to put it out of his misery and a lot of the meat was bad. That's good info for a hunter to have no?

I'm just saying for the officers to do their jobs, they need to check.  Its one way they'll know who is a poacher and who isn't.  The reverse side of that is having someone poach a deer and threw it in the back of their truck.  Drives right by a DEC officer and the DEC officers lets him go because he had to assume it was a roadkill the guy picked up.  It's just funny how people in general are always for officers stopping criminals and frisking them but throw a major fit when they get stopped and frisked.  I guess they feel cops are suppose to have a sixth sense that'll tell them who is a criminal and who isn't 100% of the time.  If I'm stuck in a cabin with 10 people and one of us is a killer, by all means, frisk me.

Cops stop random people all the time and that's how they catch a lot of people.  It works.  It really sucks when you're the guy they happen to stop.  Years ago, Mayor Gulliani wanted to stop all the squeegee men (those random homeless people who come by and wash your window while you're at a red light and then ask for "donations").  Technically what they were doing wasn't illegal so they decided to charge them all for J-walking which is technically illegal but so petty that no one ever gets a ticket for it.  Turns out, a large number of those squeegee men they stopped had outstanding warrants against them and many cold cases were solved that way.  If stopping 10 random hunters and I happen to be one of those 10 but will lead to a poacher being removed, I'm not going to argue with that.

I beleive it is illegal to have any part of any deer unless it has a tag on it. I also think I read it  on the Dec. web site in the fine print there.

The tag stays with the meat. You'll run into this if you take your deer somewhere to be butchered, but also take the cape and antlers somewhere else to be mounted. Need to write down the tag info seperatly to go to taxidermist but the tag itself cannot always be with every part of the deer at all times.

Some of you people are too much,You ticky tack and send pictures from your cell phones about every thing that goes past you in the woods.Is it so hard to dial 911 and they will  send a police offecer to your location and give you a permit for the deer.

elmo, i am in agreement with what you said. i'm not even arguing the law and i agree with it. my point was that it's not worth my time to have the roadkill antlers, or would i want to waste someone elses time for it. Lord knows he might find a tail light out or more than 7 rounds in my pistol lol.

"excuse me officer i just want these antlers here, you or someone else can deal with the carcass and exposed brains" lol.

some people will do anything to get their hands on a set of antlers, I'm sure chopping them off a roadkill is one of the milder ways of violating the law to do so.

There sure are people who do but I, personally, don't seem to understand it.  Winning is the accomplishment.  Not the medal that's giving to the winner.  It's like showing off a medal that you didn't win.

• Like 2

There sure are people who do but I, personally, don't seem to understand it. Winning is the accomplishment. Not the medal that's giving to the winner. It's like showing off a medal that you didn't win.

You mean like someone decorating their garden shed or something? What's the difference between that and showing off a trophy room?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Many years ago a friend on the way to Montauk Point,Avid surf fisher man hits a 10 point buck and it goes under his truck,bends the tie rod on the front end at 10:00 PM. A trooper comes along and ask's If he wants the deer,He said most of the meat is damaged  and I do not enjoy eating antlers.

my guess is most agency's are more than happy to have someone remove the roadkill for them, one less hassle they have to deal with..........I've taken two and will never do it again, the majority of the meat was crap and now I had to deal with disposing of the carcass.