Processing options

Chef

For those of you that have used a processor in the past can you ask them to do specific things.... Example I don't want them to cut steaks I'd prefer the back straps cut in half and the tenderloins whole.... I'd also like one of the hind legs whole but boned out so I can try and cure it.... How does everyone else like their deer butchered what are u favorite cuts and roasts..... Being a chef, I'm always down to try something new...

I'm going to use Amatos in westchester.... Or maybe mountain products smoke house in Lagrangevill.... He makes amazing sausage and other smoked products....'I've seen him at farmers markets and always buy his stuff... A friend of mine used to live by his shop and I miss stopping in there.... Just kinda a far drive but I know he is good

Amatos gets REAL BUSY- only guy in town - as a result he may not offer many options-will not do cutlets willare my favorites-i have not been to him in years after "my" meat came back in less then stellar condition- meat is placed in cardboard cookie plates and plastic bags tied with twist ties) - I use malafskys (up near rhinebeck so tha sux) in the recent past since he freezer packs everything and will do an cut you want during bow season(we deboned a hind last year and brought it to the Smoke Haus(can't remember the address)for some venison "prosciutto". I heard there is a guy near Croton train station tha is pretty good- small shop that may do your deer while you wait(pure rumor at this point) so you handle the long term storage option (freezer paper or food storage bags).

For those of you that have used a processor in the past can you ask them to do specific things.... Example I don't want them to cut steaks I'd prefer the back straps cut in half and the tenderloins whole.... I'd also like one of the hind legs whole but boned out so I can try and cure it.... How does everyone else like their deer butchered what are u favorite cuts and roasts..... Being a chef, I'm always down to try something new...

Is cutting up your own out of the question?  That will give you exactly what you want.  Hunt down a grinder, boning knife, cutting board, Cling wrap, Freezer Wrap, masking tape and a Sharpie. 

Regardless, I'd think you could get a butcher to do it as long as he isn't jammed with opening day mayhem!!

Luck.........................

• Like 1

I've always cut/butchered my own so I can't help with that aspect but if you want someone to process for you the Smoke Haus in Hopewell Junction does excellent work.  Their venison pepperoni is just outrageous.

East Fishkill Provisions Smoke Haus venison processing

As far as butcher, I don't know why they would object to any custom cut specifications. Especially the ones you're looking into. Less processing on their side of things.

Edited by SteveC