grunting

rdfenn3

I have never had any luck grunt calling this early i would wait till they get real stupid i think we are a week or so from that. In the  area we hunt  the big boys are crusing there scrap lines we are seeing the same bucks at just about the same times the last 3 days my son missed a nice 8 last night will try to load a photo of the buck later tonight  good luck  be safe

my .02

I think it's early to be grunting every 15-20 min. like some people do during the rut. I soft grunt here and there shouldn't really hurt anything, but be sure you're alone when you do it. I once grunted after a few hours of nothing only to scare a 6 point that had bed down at some point right next to me haha.

I also believe if you have a buck coming in, then it starts to leave it really can't hurt to give a couple soft grunts. I mean... he's leaving anyhow. haha.

• Like 1

I watched a small 6pt last weds playfully chasing a small doe around. He was grunting every now and then when he would get close to her. Deer do grunt year round so it cant hurt if you give a few grunts here and there. It just may not get the same reply thst it might in a few weeks

you'll get different reactions now opposed to later toward Nov.  you can grunt year round though.  keep in mind every time you make a sound it has to have a story behind it or reason.  it might be a contact grunt or maybe it's closer to Nov, two doe just walked through so you give out a doe contact grunt to a passing buck.  regardless never grunt at a deer that's coming your way anyway.  only if they're walking away from you.  not even if they're browsing around in an unclear direction.  sometimes you grunt, the deer looks like it heard you, but it continues on like it doesn't care.  stop grunting!  it heard you.  it may be going to get some food or a drink and will come back.  just sit and wait.

• Like 1

Grunted a 5 pt in today. Thing was basically running to my stand and stayed around for 20 minutes

I made it out for the first time since the opener. Had to take the wheeler most of the way because my leg is still bothering me. Got in the stand for the last hour. After about 15 minutes I grunted a couple tines and hit the bleat can twice. Before I could even put the can down I had two 4 pointers run in to 20 yards. They stayed there for 20 minutes and sparred with each other. Bumping shoulders and necks and banging racks. Really cool to watch. The next two weeks should really hear things up

I made it out for the first time since the opener. Had to take the wheeler most of the way because my leg is still bothering me. Got in the stand for the last hour. After about 15 minutes I grunted a couple tines and hit the bleat can twice. Before I could even put the can down I had two 4 pointers run in to 20 yards. They stayed there for 20 minutes and sparred with each other. Bumping shoulders and necks and banging racks. Really cool to watch. The next two weeks should really hear things up

I'm looking forward to the next couple weeks of hunting. Got a feeling there will be lots of brown down. I'm mad I have to go to boston for the army next Friday for 4 days. Less time in the woods