Big Body 7 Point Down With The Bow

WestchesterBowman

Well after three days up in our Catskills camp seeing nothing but birds and squirrels we packed up Monday afternoon and headed back home. By the time we got back it was 3 p.m. I decided to jump right back in the jeep and head to my bow hunting spot in Rockland county (NY).

I was settled in the stand by 4:30 and I'm glad I did. Right as the sun was setting, I had a few fawns and a young buck feeding below my stand. A nice mature doe came out and I began that slow, calculated process of getting the bow ready to draw. Just as I was about to draw I saw another deer coming down the trail. A buck! He hit the Y in the trail and thankfully he picked to go to the left. He came right under my stand. He paused and I let the arrow go, heart and lung shot, I heard him crash and sat shaking in my tree stand for a good 15 minutes or so.

Only my second buck ever, I was absolutely thrilled to put a good shot on him and recover him.

100 grain Spitfire Maxx broadheads, Mission Venture bow.

prAYMpyl.jpg

efvPoKZl.jpg

zkSWhddl.jpg?1

Edited by RITBlake
  • Like 10

Good job!  I would think you are better off hunting in Rockland county, since you have a place to hunt there and forget about the Catskills, most especially with a bow.  Many parts of the Catskills are like death valley as far as deer numbers are concerned compared to Rockland county suburban type areas and western NY.

Good job!  I would think you are better off hunting in Rockland county, since you have a place to hunt there and forget about the Catskills, most especially with a bow.  Many parts of the Catskills are like death valley as far as deer numbers are concerned compared to Rockland county suburban type areas and western NY.

You're absolutely right, I certainly enjoy the scenery, the peace and quiet, and the land of the Catskills far more than Rockland county. Having said that, I also greatly enjoy having venison in my freezer so there are pro's and con's to both areas. Catskills is more of a group thing, get together with the guys, but we don't take many deer, especially with the bow.