Syracuse.com - Proud father: Deer hunting with son isn't just about getting a deer

"He now knows that some of the best times while hunting don't involve loading a deer into the truck bed," the father said.

blank.gifKip and Schuyler Hellings. 

Editor's note: I received this email this morning from Schuyler Hellings, a proud father from Fayetteville. There's a lot of truth and food for thought within it.

He wrote: "I'm writing to share the experience I had this past weekend during the NY Youth Hunt. My 14-year-old son, Kip Hellings, recently completed his Hunter Safety Course at the Sandy Pond Sportsman's Club.

"The class was great and the instructors (Lou McNett of the Mad River Club and Lee Harvey of the Sandy Pond Sportsman's Club) kept the kids interested and informed during the instructional period.

"Kip passed with a 96 and we purchased a license on the way home. Last Saturday we went to a friends camp near the Lincklaen State Forest to make sure he was still proficient in his accuracy with his firearm.

"After hitting the target to his and my satisfaction we went inside to cook dinner and turn in for the night. We got up early Sunday, went to a spot where I had shot a deer during last years regular season.

"We sat in the chilly morning air, I chuckled to myself as I watch his head swivel back and forth at the slightest sound. He learned that red squirrels and chipmunks can sound like Deer walking through the dry leaves. The porcupine that passed about 30 yards from us sounded like a herd running through the woods!

"As we walked back to the truck I was able to show him a game trail so he could determine on his own, a good place to set up in the future. We didn't have an opportunity to fill a tag but a father and son got to spend some quality time together.

" I was really proud of how when we got back to camp and had breakfast, he immediately started packing up both of our things into the truck without being asked. When he asked for a broom to sweep out the camp from the leaves we'd tracked in, I almost fell over.

"While it would have been nice to send you a picture of Kip having filled his tag for the first time, I'm just as happy to have helped my son learn a pastime that he will hopefully pass on to his son.

"He now knows that some of the best times while hunting don't involve loading a deer into the truck bed."

View the full article on The Syracuse Outdoors Blog

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...