ladder stands on state properties

Danny

I see this becoming more common, I scout around and find a good area that i would like to hunt and then notice someone has put a ladder tree stand up and wisely locks it to a tree, so my question is when you guys see this do you ever hunt out of the stand?

I am looking for the regulation on setting up stands no public land but can't find it. Anyone got a link to it on the dec site? I'll keep looking in the meantime. I remember reading somewhere that you could setup a stand for the season or for a number of days, something like that.

I never leave a stand over the course of a week, but have left it overnight if I plan on hunting early the next morning in the same spot and I'm a long hike from the road.

However if I did leave one over the course of time assuming it is legal, I would leave a note in plastic stating when I plan on being back to hunt it first thing dark, and even welcome anyone that finds it to hunt it any other time. It's all about respect. I also think that you need to leave your name or tag number on it. Man I need to find that info again.

I've found plenty of setups on public land but never got on one myself.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html#13002

Maybe the regulation changed or I never read it correctly, but it looks like not to exceed 30 days?

w. No person shall erect, construct, install, maintain, store, discard or abandon any structure or any other property on State lands or subsequently use such structure or property on State lands, except if the structure or property is authorized by the department or is:

1. a geocache that is labeled with the owner's name and address and installed in a manner that does not disturb the natural conditions of the site or injure a tree;

2. a camping structure or equipment that is placed and used legally pursuant to this Part;

3. a legally placed trap or appurtenance that is placed and used during trapping season;

4. a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season; or

5. a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed thirty (30) days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number.

x. On State lands, no person shall erect, construct, occupy or maintain any structure that is affixed to a tree by nails, screws or other means that injure or damage the tree except as otherwise authorized by the department.

y. No person shall erect, construct, maintain, occupy or use any tree stand that is used, operated, accessed or reached by methods or means which injure or damage a tree on State lands, and no person shall gain access to any structure in a tree on State lands by means that injure or damage the tree.

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego

On wildlife management areas, it is unlawful to:

• Camp without written permission
  • Travel off-road by use of motorcycles, motor scooters, mopeds, trail bikes, snowmobiles or any other motorized vehicle, except as specifically allowed by a permit or posted notice
  • Remove, cut or willfully damage or destroy living vegetation of any kind
  • Construct or place a permanent structure, blind, stand or platform (includes placement of nails or other hardware into trees)
  • Leave any personal property at the time of leaving the area
  • Enter upon property posted with No Trespassing signs, except with written permission from DEC

either way i would never damage any persons personal property, i can just see an issue if you were to bring in a climber and the guy shows up and ruins your hunt by hopping in his ladder stand with the logic of "well i have had my stand here for a month"

I have come Across a few here n there. I never hunt them them nor do I touch them. It belongs to Someone else and I respect other people's belongings...

Besides I also have a mental block on it lol I don't know what type of hunter they are, if they descent, of they move around alot and the deer avoid that spot or area due to it, so I just keep it moving. Besides someone else spent the time to hang it and scout that area.

• Like 2

I would never climb into another persons stand....but it really irks me when someone sets up a stand on public land and claims the area as their own, I've seen stands hung and never get used on a regular basis, kinda thoughtless on the other hunters part, especially on lands that have designated spots that are used on a first come first serve basis.

When I hunt in Letchworth I see at least a dozen + stands.Heck there is one bottom that is 100 yds wide x 3-400 long that has 5 stand in it( counting mine when I get there).....I usualy hunt this spot3-5 days and have never seen them used. I have never seen a soul in 90+% of them. When bowhunting I won't set up right on top of them but I will still hunt the same general area..if they happen to show up , I will move on to another area next time. I hate it when someone come in and sets within a100 yds of me when there is 1000s of acres to hunt.. If I avoided every area with a stand ,all the good spots would be taken..lol

I understand the desire not to mess with someone's spot. However, this is public hunting land, you can't just put your stand against a tree and claim it as your spot.

If you want your own spot then buy or lease. Put a bench in a park... people will sit on it, same should go for "tree seats"

*disclaimer ... I don't really hunt public land often.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Edited by irish_redneck

Most properties allows for putting temporary stands up prior to the hunting season and removal shortly after. Best thing you can do as a hunter is to call and find out per property. Some properties I hunt also requires my name, phone number and permit number written on the stand.

I would not want to use someone else's stand either, it could be dangerous and its not right to use others property without permission. Unless you have the intention of using said stand, you probably won't have a harness with you either, making it even more dangerous.

I wouldn't have a problem hunting the area however, you put just as much work in finding thy spot as the previous hunter, and its public land. That's a judgement call you'll have to make.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

every year it's the same thing with you people,

anyone who gets in another person stand without permission is a scumbag, who don't deserve to be called a hunter

by your logic, while your out hunting public land I should be able to jump in your car and hang out, listen to the radio? it's on a public highway  right, you want your car left alone, by your own road

• Like 2

anyone who gets in another person stand without permission is a scumbag, who don't deserve to be called a hunter

by your logic, while your out hunting public land I should be able to jump in your car and hang out, listen to the radio? it's on a public highway  right, you want your car left alone, by your own road

huh?..who's you people?

LOL!!!

I guess I have a hard tine with the logic that when the stand is put there someone is "claiming the area."  since it is on public property, I am sure they expect others to be around.  They may want to hunt there, but they have no claim to it.  I personally would not hunt in it, but if I wanted to hunt close to it, I would as long as it was not occupied.  On state land here, I have been on a watch in a drive leaning up against the tree the crotch stand was up in.  Was not occupied and I knew who it belonged to. If he had come along, I would have told him which way the drive was coming from and moved away.