Going to give this new " Anterless " Season A Try Tomorrow.

blackbeltbill

Well as most longtime members here know,I am not much into Deer Hunting. Possibly out no more then 40 Times on the Rifle opener since 1974. I believe  my 49th year of hunting is coming up with the Deer hunt tomorrow. 

Zero Lifetime Deer and never much motivation  as for me it is Pheasants,Woodcock, and Wild Turkeys.-- Did,I say Wild Turkeys?! Total Fanatic here as some already know.

Now in years past,I have written  in my Hiking Posts about being able to Tackle some Deer in September.  They are that close. That gives me motivation  that,I might have some Luck tomorrow  or Sunday.

I will probably  sit some and walk around slow- like a Hiker. I hate to sit longer then 30 minutes. For me it is torture.  Then,I am up and moving.

Taking out my Brother in Laws Slug Shotgun with the open iron sights. He has it sighted in for 50 Yards. I probably  won't  take  a shot beyond 40 yards- just like a Gobbler.  

I might get Lucky with a Big Lone Doe. 

Called 2 Deer Butchering  places and no one picked up. I have 4 places in mind. All prices are the same-- $130 Bucks.  

Going out today and picking up a few Clear Shower Curtains to protect  my SUV in case,I get a Doe. Could probably  wrap her up with 2 others and tape it up.

If,I get 1 Doe- that will probably  be it for me.  

Good Luck to all going out Tomorrow!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

Well as most longtime members here know,I am not much into Deer Hunting. Possibly out no more then 40 Times on the Rifle opener since 1974. I believe  my 49th year of hunting is coming up with the Deer hunt tomorrow. 

Zero Lifetime Deer and never much motivation  as for me it is Pheasants,Woodcock, and Wild Turkeys.-- Did,I say Wild Turkeys?! Total Fanatic here as some already know.

Now in years past,I have written  in my Hiking Posts about being able to Tackle some Deer in September.  They are that close. That gives me motivation  that,I might have some Luck tomorrow  or Sunday.

I will probably  sit some and walk around slow- like a Hiker. I hate to sit longer then 30 minutes. For me it is torture.  Then,I am up and moving.

Taking out my Brother in Laws Slug Shotgun with the open iron sights. He has it sighted in for 50 Yards. I probably  won't  take  a shot beyond 40 yards- just like a Gobbler.  

Called 2 Deer Butchering  places and no one picked up. I have 4 places in mind. All prices are the same-- $130 Bucks.  

Going out today and picking up a few Clear Shower Curtains to protect  my SUV in case,I get a Doe. Could probably  wrap her up with 2 others and tape it up.

Don’t wrap to tight. Gotta let that heat out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Good luck Bill. If you get one, just make sure you cool it off as quickly as you're able to. I'd hate for you to connect but then lose the meat because it spoiled..

If,I get Lucky- that Doe will be in the back of my suv with all 4 windows  semi- open.

19 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

If,I get Lucky- that Doe will be in the back of my suv with all 4 windows  semi- open.

Bill dont buy shower curtains . Get an 8x8 or 8x10  tarp from Home Depot . Less money and would work way better . Besides you can use it afterwards for covering something else in your yard like wood for the fire pit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SportsmanNH said:

Bill dont buy shower curtains . Get an 8x8 or 8x10  tarp from Home Depot . Less money and would work way better . Besides you can use it afterwards for covering something else in your yard like wood for the fire pit.

If it's going inside the car, I actually like the shower curtain idea if it's just going under the deer. I've used tarps in the past and blood has seeped through.

I have been using disposable dog pee pads for about 15 years now. Place a couple under between the deer and tarp...another under the head and one under the backside. Absorbs all the blood, clean tarp and easy disposal when you get home. I have a dozen or so stored under the back seat of my vehicles for all kinds of messy situations. I have even wiped out the cavity of the deer with one in the field before loading it in the SxS or bed of the truck.

• Like 1

Ice in the chest cavity in these temperatures does little to nothing for the hindquarter.     

Dress her off, load her in the rig belly UP and haul ass to a processor.   

Remember, belly up and if she’ll stay in the position, legs spread apart.  

Good luck Bill.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

Not sure where you are located but Andy Luciano was taking deer last year for processing during early antlerless.

image.png.8ef7a560a5ed5a6b35a3e7a6efff6d74.png

I am in Orange county- but Thanks.  I have 3 options that are all within 15 miles of me or less. Sam's  Meat Warehouse in Florida,Quaker Creek Store in Florida, and Costello's  Deer Cutting in Warwick. 

Good Luck Bill. Quaker Creek is a great store. I used them for venison sticks, pepperoni, etc. But they do butchering as well. It was a far ride for me, but much closer for you. Super clean place you pull down the hill around back of store.

• Thanks 1

One bit of advice: aim for the shoulder blade.  Tracking conditions are seldom ideal in September.   They are always DRT after taking a foster slug to that spot.  

A relatively slow moving shotgun slug causes far less meat damage, from a shot to the shoulder blade than just about all center-fire rifle bullets, especially the screamers like the .243.  

Best of luck to you Bill, but be warned:  Once you get a taste of those succulent, red-meat back straps, you may loose a little interest in them white meats birds.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good luck Bill. I'll be out there with you in spirit this weekend on Sunday, but on LI. Except I'll be sitting in my tree stand for the better part of 8 hours, possibly even 10. It's my only chance for the early season to try and bag a doe. Hopefully if I do she'll stay cool in the bed of my truck with just a tarp covering and a bag of ice on the hindquarters and in the cavity.  Either way enjoy the woods!

Edited by NYRturkeycall
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

One bit of advice: aim for the shoulder blade.  Tracking conditions are seldom ideal in September.   They are always DRT after taking a foster slug to that spot.  

A relatively slow moving shotgun slug causes far less meat damage, from a shot to the shoulder blade than just about all center-fire rifle bullets, especially the screamers like the .243.  

Best of luck to you Bill, but be warned:  Once you get a taste of those succulent, red-meat back straps, you may loose a little interest in them white meats birds.  

That is what my Brother  in law told me also.  Aim up the Front Leg and hold at the Shoulder  + fire. 

I just finished setting up “the wolc’s lair”.  Now I need to look up legal shooting time (1/2 hour before sunrise), and get my hunting stuff ready, starting with the half stick of Evercalm that I put in the Freezer on January 2.

I will bring my binoculars, so that I can make sure there are no antlers longer than 3” on the deer.  I am hoping for “big momma back-strap” tomorrow.

09576B31-7C82-49E8-867A-47F052F83972.thumb.jpeg.1fc9e732c33b6d08d485ca81673f6d2b.jpeg

I knew that padded swivel bar stool, that I garbage picked this spring, would come in handy some where.

I just finished setting up “the wolc’s lair”.  Now I need to look up legal shooting time (1/2 hour before sunrise), and get my hunting stuff ready, starting with the half stick of Evercalm that I put in the Freezer on January 2.
I will bring my binoculars, so that I can make sure there are no antlers longer than 3” on the deer.  I am hoping for “big momma back-strap” tomorrow.
09576B31-7C82-49E8-867A-47F052F83972.thumb.jpeg.1fc9e732c33b6d08d485ca81673f6d2b.jpeg
I knew that padded swivel bar stool, that I garbage picked this spring, would come in handy some where.
Your stands remind me of this. Love them.https://store.themeateater.com/products/f-cked-up-old-deer-stands-calendar.html?lang=en_US

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Who did you call kroll is close to you and it’s who Cyntha, myself and Marion use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1