Going to give this new " Anterless " Season A Try Tomorrow.

blackbeltbill

On 9/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, blackbeltbill said:

That is what my Brother  in law told me also.  Aim up the Front Leg and hold at the Shoulder  + fire. 

It shouldn't be a rule but situational. Yes a slug or rifle round to the shoulder will drop them on the spot, however you're going to lose a whole shoulder and possibly 2. I'm surprised our resident meat hunter gave you this advice.

Consider where you're hunting and the conditions for tracking. If the tracking wouldn't be treacherous (open field, open hardwoods, no rain etc) than aim right behind the shoulder. Broadside you'll waste no meat and quartering away you'll only risk 1 shoulder. 

I find this applies even more to doe as the only reason at all that you're harvesting a doe is for meat and why waste all that good ground and 2 round stakes? I'd rather not take the shot at all.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

Hey wolc, you obviously missed my intended results of the.243 remark.  

You were on point.  It’s mostly about velocity, when it comes to meat damage.  With the same bullet design, that little screamer is tougher on meat, with a shoulder blade hit, than the slower-moving 06, and a lot tougher, than the way slower moving foster shotgun slugs that Bill is using. 

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

You were on point.  It’s mostly about velocity, when it comes to meat damage.  With the same bullet design, that little screamer is tougher on meat, with a shoulder blade hit, than the slower-moving 06, and a lot tougher, than the way slower moving foster shotgun slugs that Bill is using. 

No, you still don't get it.  It was a bash on your stouch stance on how horrible a .243 is as a deer cartridge. One that you have almost no experience with. 

5 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Here is what,I am toting. A Remington 870 with open Sights and Remington 12 Ga- Slugger Ammo.

20220912_124316.jpg

Los of deer have died using that combo over the yrs. 

Have you shot it to see if it's dialed in? Think I read that your borrowing it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Here is what,I am toting. A Remington 870 with open Sights and Remington 12 Ga- Slugger Ammo.

20220912_124316.jpg

A proven combo Bill and I wish you luck. Just think about that shoulder shot vs the double lung if you're really after the meat.