One of New York's Finer Departments at Work

So, in off-hand conversation here at work. One co-worker has a daughter who goes to Rush-Henrietta Schools. She is enrolled in the after-school program. Kids there from time to time will do homework while at the program - housed at the school after school hours.

The Department of family/Child Services came in and conducted a review, and witnessed a few kids doing homework.

They promptly informed the school that it is illegal for the kids to do their homework while at/in the program. The only legal way would be if the school had the program licensed as a daycare, but since it is the school program, it is illegal. The school had to inform the parents of the kids that doing homework was now not allowed.

Idiots.

Don't fully blame the politicians for this one.  if its at a public school using public funds than blame union rules. I've run up against stupid union rules a lot.  Can't move that ladder (need a laborer). can't wipe up that spilled coffee (need a union janitor)...in this case, can't educate a child...need a union teachers aid or union teacher

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1

yes they are the enforcers of union rules and contracts...Thanks

No they are not. You are just wrong.

As an educator the first thread does not make sense.  There is no rule about not doing homework after school.  What is the name of the after school program?  Chances are if its a program like YEP, they receive funds to do a specific curriculum with the kids.  The school may be pocketing the money that was earmarked for specific and important activities then letting kids do homework instead.

I'll be you a doughnut I'm right.

Edited by RangerClay

No they are not. You are just wrong.

As an educator the first thread does not make sense.  There is no rule about not doing homework after school.  What is the name of the after school program?  Chances are if its a program like YEP, they receive funds to do a specific curriculum with the kids.  The school may be pocketing the money that was earmarked for specific and important activities then letting kids do homework instead.

I'll be you a doughnut I'm right.

Bet me a doughnut?  or me be a doughnut?...or maybe i'm just a nut?

you might be right, but it doesn't change the fact that unions have stupid rules and are harmful to the country.  ask yourself why do 30% of union teachers send their kids to private schools?....why do a third of your members want their kids educated by non union teachers?

and why are you surfing the net talking on this forum, when you should be educating someones kid?   Is today some made up holiday or have you worked 200 days already this year?

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1

Bet me a doughnut?  or me be a doughnut?...or maybe i'm just a nut?

you might be right, but it doesn't change the fact that unions have stupid rules and are harmful to the country.  ask yourself why do 30% of union teachers send their kids to private schools?....why do a third of your members want their kids educated by non union teachers?

and why are you surfing the net talking on this forum, when you should be educating someones kid?   Is today some made up holiday or have you worked 200 days already this year?

Ah yes....the union hater slash thread hyjackers.  I'm not going to waste my time and stoop to your level debating this.  We'd have a better chance debating abortion. I came to this thread to offer a possible logical solution.  You however came just to stand on your soap box and bash teacher unions. Whatever....

To answer your question. What I look at during my two break periods is my choice.  I don't tell you what to look at during your coffee break.  By the way you will notice that I posted this at 2:30 after my students have left for the day.

I'm done with this.  Feel free to rant on in my absence. 

Ah yes....the union hater slash thread hyjackers.  I'm not going to waste my time and stoop to your level debating this.  We'd have a better chance debating abortion. I came to this thread to offer a possible logical solution.  You however came just to stand on your soap box and bash teacher unions. Whatever....

To answer your question. What I look at during my two break periods is my choice.  I don't tell you what to look at during your coffee break.  By the way you will notice that I posted this at 2:30 after my students have left for the day.

I'm done with this.  Feel free to rant on in my absence. 

I guess i'm out as well...it's no fun ranting by yourself.  I did say you might have been correct though.  BTW this wasn't meant to bash teachers unions...sorry if you took it that way....it was meant to bash ALL unions.

have a good weekend. 

:crazy:

I bet more people that lost their job during the recession simply because they worked for the company longer and made more money wished they belonged to a union then.

Ohh, you mean like the one that pushed New Venture gear out?  Did a bang up job for them.

To those union folks who commented on my rant.  I do not hate any of you.  I’m sure you are all good people, loving fathers and husbands.  Good to your neighbors and communities.  I hope you all enjoy your lives and get everything you desire.  I just don’t want to pay for it.  So I’m sorry, I should have limited my negativity to public sector unions.

I have friends and family in public sector unions.  Individually they are all good people.  Collectively they suck.

- The union sucks the dollars out of my pocket (taxes)

- The union sucks the creativity and ambition out of its members…why work harder than the next guy…we all get the same pay and raises

- The union sucks the jobs out of our state.  Why would a company stay here…they move to right to work states

If you work for a private company and are in a private union….that’s yours and the company’s decision.  I wish you well.  

Public sector unions I despise….BUT I do not despise the members…I actually pity them….they will never really know if they are worth the $’s they make.  I think they all know that it’s unfair for them to work 20 years and retire in their forties making $75K + a year for the rest of their lives, while their non-union neighbors will be working until they are in their mid-sixties all to pay for their retirements.

Again enjoy the weekend and have a successful hunting season!!

My wife worked there for 12 years, her father retired from there, her sister and her husband worked there for 6 and 20 years respectively, her brother was there 15, her grandfather retired there and one uncle retired there.  I have a pretty good idea what happened there and you can bet that (while not the only cause) it had a big part in it.

Edited by covert

I have no respect for any union or business for that matter that has a production line go down and that operator can not touch a tool to fix even if he can, can not grab a broom to keep the place clean, can not help the guy next to him to boost production but must just stand there with his thumb up his ass because that is the way the union does it. And yes that was NVG first hand knowledge and a bunch of who shot John! Unions had a place 50 years ago. Now it is just so someones sisters red headed cousin in law can not get fired!

Sorry I never rant on here give me this one!! lol

• Like 1

Decline In unions coinciding with lower incomes compared to inflation. Also decline in worker benefits. Coincidence? I think not. Unions keep big business honest. Companies now a days don't pay you what your worth. They are there to maximize profits and put money in their own pockets. Don't think for a second your not expendible. Oh you want a higher wage? Sorry take it or I'll find someone who will. There is always someone willing to do it cheaper? Where does it stop? Ill tell you where. China and India. Hell my job would be in india right now if it was not for the cwa and ibew. Are they better at the job than me? Hell no. Would they pricier a better service than me? Hell no. But they sure are cheaper. My Union keeps the jobs state side and keeps the wages up and respectable. Even with paying the Union wages I don't see the fat cats at verizon starving. But sure as $H1T if they had their way they would prefer to pay Raj $5 per hr and pad their own back account.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1