Would you vote to make it legal?

Five Seasons

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

Size of pen as moog stated is a good question. Also is it one specific animal or just a deer over a certain amount of inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your in a fenced in area and that buck can’t get out? Should be pretty simple right. Just you and him. You will get a picture and have at it. We won’t make it to tough on ya. 680 acres and will give you a buck very recognizable. There will be plenty of other deer in there with ya’s. 

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i wont even do a guided hunt much less a high fence cause i would feel like its cheating.  Just isnt my idea of hunting.  I booked a guided pig hunt once in SC and cancelled it cause i just knew i wouldnt like it.  But i have enjoyed some hunts in the Dacks where i was lucky to see a deer.  Guess its all about perspective. 

How would you feel if you failed after chasing a deer for 3 days inside an enclosure?   Cheated?  

Edited by Four Seasons

19 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

How would you feel if you failed after chasing a deer for 3 days inside an enclosure?   Cheated?  

doesnt matter cause i would never do it.  Just couldnt get it out of my head that the deer cant get out is still an unfair advantage.   Just a matter of preference.  Like i said i wouldnt even be able to enjoy a guided hunt.  Drop me off somewhere in open country and i do it all on my own or with a buddy.  I like being able to figure out the puzzle and have the total experience. 

when i go to the outdoor shows i wont even sign up for the free hunts.  cause i know me and i wouldnt enjoy it. 

So no point in going on a fenced hunt cause i wouldnt like it and if i did get one i wouldnt feel proud of it or like i earned it.  Then if i didnt get one i would question if the animal is even there since well.....its fenced in.  lol No win situation for me.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

doesnt matter cause i would never do it.  Just couldnt get it out of my head that the deer cant get out is still an unfair advantage.   Just a matter of preference.  Like i said i wouldnt even be able to enjoy a guided hunt.  Drop me off somewhere in open country and i do it all on my own or with a buddy.  I like being able to figure out the puzzle and have the total experience. 

when i go to the outdoor shows i wont even sign up for the free hunts.  cause i know me and i wouldnt enjoy it. 

So no point in going on a fenced hunt cause i wouldnt like it and if i did get one i wouldnt feel proud of it or like i earned it.  Then if i didnt get one i would question if the animal is even there since well.....its fenced in.  lol No win situation for me.  

Oh you could see said animal pretty much every night after your hunt from one of the trail cams. He will be in there big and proud. 

9 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Oh you could see said animal pretty much every night after your hunt from one of the trail cams. He will be in there big and proud. 

I would never be able to enjoy it.  Im sure you must understand that on some level.  Thus the reason you hunt public in Letchworth as opposed to shooting one in a high fence yourself I would think.  

hell i wouldnt even enjoy a hunt where they showed me where the deer showed up on camera.  I like to figure it out on my own.  if i go to a friends house to hunt i usually tell them i would take a doe for the freezer if the oppurtunity comes up as its more about being out there and spending time wiht friends, but i want to try to get a buck off my own spot where ive done all the work and set the chess board.  It means more to me.  Deer in a fence doenst appeal to me at all.  But to each their own.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

Im not saying i would ever pay for a guided hunt, especially a high fence hunt.. but my buddy worked as the video cam dude for a hunting channel show.. and they had private fenced property they owned and free range property they owned also.. In his 3 years of being there, The bucks were harder to kill "inside"  the pen vs hunting the same age class of bucks, "outside" of the pen.. and the "Pen" was 670 acres. Giving them a little more "unfenced feel" .. This was in Missouri as well. Take it how you want to.. but it makes sense.. More time spent in a more tighter core area.. you pick up on things out place a little quicker.   These deer arent hand fed either, but depending on how you look at it.. fenced hunts can be argued many directions.. from many people.. 

Im not promoting or knocking them.. But facts are facts, and each situation is different. Business as usual.. 

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

There are natural mineral licks..  the issue of concentration of deer to a lick would be off set as instead of one natural like on 1000 acres there will be one on every 5 acres...  so  deer would in fact be more spread out..  as for high fence  ive" hunted " in a couple after trying to get intrest started at an auction only to be stuck with said hunt myself.   They are not hunts but simply harvests..  one reason i dont think i could ever do a guided hunt myself... thats the part i enjoy..  i dont care for  there it is shoot it... 

Have you found a natural lick in NY? I"ve heard a lot about them, but not sure I've ever actually found one. Honest question.

10 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Your 3rd grade mentality is kicking in after a long day I see. Read a comprehend.  It says … Very few wake up…Without!  That’s your choice how and what you do but as you can see you are on the low end of the stick. High fence hunters could buy a spike buck and get the same amount of meat. You have had years to show how meat moves the hunting industry and failed and I will give you years more. When you find those pic’s of that venison cooking on hunting items you throw them up. 

dude... nobody but you and maybe 2 other members care about what moves "the industry" so we don't care. You're having an argument with nobody about something none of us care about. We're all just good old boys from NY trying to shoot a nice buck and fill our freezers. You're collecting jizz for money so that pansy ass yuppies can shoot a deer trapped in a fence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

dude... nobody but you and maybe 2 other members care about what moves "the industry" so we don't care. You're having an argument with nobody about something none of us care about. We're all just good old boys from NY trying to shoot a nice buck and fill our freezers. You're collecting jizz for money so that pansy ass yuppies can shoot a deer trapped in a fence. 

Stop being jealous!
Hahah

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

aren't there high fence operations that have 10,000 acres or more?  Obviously it would not be easy to pick one animal and kill it in 3 days.  Then there are others that are pretty small and intended to make the hunt a give me.  I guess it depends on the operation.   I am pretty sure, however, I could easily pay enough to ensure that i kill a booner but am much less likely to kill one on my 40 acres.

Anyways, I would be happy with a doe and a decent buck this year.  I happen to like both meat and antlers.

still, game laws do not apply to fenced operation. even with 10k acres there could be baiting and any weapon at any time. No rules. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I would never be able to enjoy it.  Im sure you must understand that on some level.  Thus the reason you hunt public in Letchworth as opposed to shooting one in a high fence yourself I would think.  

hell i wouldnt even enjoy a hunt where they showed me where the deer showed up on camera.  I like to figure it out on my own.  if i go to a friends house to hunt i usually tell them i would take a doe for the freezer if the oppurtunity comes up as its more about being out there and spending time wiht friends, but i want to try to get a buck off my own spot where ive done all the work and set the chess board.  It means more to me.  Deer in a fence doenst appeal to me at all.  But to each their own.   

Those last words said it all.  And the words above were pretty spot on. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I don’t care if anyone cares. But there has not been 1 of you good old boys that fight the fact that the whole industry is antler driven with any of your proof.  And I have it everywhere. Fact. 

• Haha 1

Too many variables. Odds are Chef would not kill a specific deer on 680 acres. But look at Africa. Those “penned concessions” are 10K acres but they have so much game, that people go and sit a waterhole and shoot a ton of plains game. That’s why I don’t go. Doesn’t seem fair.

To each their own. But I wouldn’t hunt anything with a fence. Many years ago I thought about a leopard hunt in Africa over a carcass at night but I read too many horror stories about captured leopards being let out for hunters etc. it didn’t seem fair chase so I didn’t go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Belo said:

this article talks about high fence hunting and cwd. @Four Seasons I really suggest you don't read it or your head might explode.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/its-time-to-cut-bs-in-deer-hunting/

Looks like a great read. Busy delivering bucks today but I did start it and with an knowledge you would see Wisconsin and Pa used in their number.  Huh. Ain’t that funny that that’s the 2 states they tried to scare every person into the dreaded Zombie Deer!!!!  Idiots. Can’t wait to see what the rest reads. 

Your in a fenced in area and that buck can’t get out? Should be pretty simple right. Just you and him. You will get a picture and have at it. We won’t make it to tough on ya. 680 acres and will give you a buck very recognizable. There will be plenty of other deer in there with ya’s. 

So yes shooting a specific deer on 680 acres over 3 days would be statistically difficult, you are providing a task that is in your favor. Now provide pictures of all the mature bucks in there and we are talking a very different ballgame

3 hours ago, BizCT said:

Too many variables. Odds are Chef would not kill a specific deer on 680 acres. But look at Africa. Those “penned concessions” are 10K acres but they have so much game, that people go and sit a waterhole and shoot a ton of plains game. That’s why I don’t go. Doesn’t seem fair.

To each their own. But I wouldn’t hunt anything with a fence. Many years ago I thought about a leopard hunt in Africa over a carcass at night but I read too many horror stories about captured leopards being let out for hunters etc. it didn’t seem fair chase so I didn’t go.

It wasnt baited leopard, it was dog hunts for cats, leopard and caracal. Two outfits that worked together, one in South Africa, one in Namibia, were implicated often.

It shut down dog hunting in Namibia for good when the legit outfits demanded action by the govt.

A trapped cat wouldnt go to bait, it runs like hell....and thats fine for dogs, the bad guys even know where to pick up trail. Thats why you could pull a fast one on a client. Oh look, the dogs just picked up a scent. Wink wink.

Actually the tough times of US economy in 2008 and again with corvid have weeded out many of the dodgy operators in it for a buck of the 2000-2008 era when hunter numbers were just crazy good. Only the better operations had the capital and quality to stick around for the most part have survived. Screw up and its all over the internet in days, its a small community with social media, and the relative few numbers of hunters and outfitters involved. Still there are a couple outfits i would run like hell away from, they just have too many times implicated in shady issues.

Done the prebaiting on 3 leopards, hunting bait, hanging, dragging guts. Its actually the part i like, all three guys got a cat within 3 days of thier hunts. Its stinky, long days covering long distances, making quick shots on the ends of stalks to take bait animals, 90 degree temps with a barrel of maggot crawling guts sloshing around for drags in the back of the truck.  You see a ton of stuff, as every carnivore comes to investigate a bait and drag. Fun times, do it again in a second.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chef said:

So yes shooting a specific deer on 680 acres over 3 days would be statistically difficult, you are providing a task that is in your favor. Now provide pictures of all the mature bucks in there and we are talking a very different ballgame

I got no dog in this, but now you want it your way. You imply a high fence isnt hunting, now you get a specific acreage you dont like. 

Just sayin'.

• Like 2

It wasnt baited leopard, it was dog hunts for cats, leopard and caracal. Two outfits that worked together, one in South Africa, one in Namibia, were implicated often.
 It shut down dog hunting in Namibia for good when the legit outfits demanded action by the govt.
A trapped cat wouldnt go to bait, it runs like hell....and thats fine for dogs, the bad guys even know where to pick up trail. Thats why you could pull a fast one on a client. Oh look, the dogs just picked up a scent. Wink wink.
Actually the tough times of US economy in 2008 and again with corvid have weeded out many of the dodgy operators in it for a buck of the 2000-2008 era when hunter numbers were just crazy good. Only the better operations had the capital and quality to stick around for the most part have survived. Screw up and its all over the internet in days, its a small community with social media, and the relative few numbers of hunters and outfitters involved. Still there are a couple outfits i would run like hell away from, they just have too many times implicated in shady issues.
Done the prebaiting on 3 leopards, hunting bait, hanging, dragging guts. Its actually the part i like, all three guys got a cat within 3 days of thier hunts. Its stinky, long days covering long distances, making quick shots on the ends of stalks to take bait animals, 90 degree temps with a barrel of maggot crawling guts sloshing around for drags in the back of the truck.  You see a ton of stuff, as every carnivore comes to investigate a bait and drag. Fun times, do it again in a second.

Thanks for clarifying. I should have tagged you since I knew you would remember better than me!

1 hour ago, Chef said:

You are in a pen with an animal that can’t get out. Now you say it sound be tough.?   So it’s tough and you say you prob would fail yet you say it not hunting. Gotcha. 

I got no dog in this, but now you want it your way. You imply a high fence isnt hunting, now you get a specific acreage you dont like. 
Just sayin'.

No what I’m saying is shoot one pre determined deer is way different then shoot a mature buck… finding one animal in that many acres is a needle in a hay stack

57 minutes ago, Chef said:

No what I’m saying is shoot one pre determined deer is way different then shoot a mature buck… finding one animal in that many acres is a needle in a hay stack

You will be shooting a predetermined deer. You just have to Hunt him right?  I mean he can’t get out so it can’t be called hunting? 

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Kinda makes going out on the back 40 shooting just any deer walking by sound pretty simple huh?  And you call that hunting??

9 hours ago, Belo said:

Have you found a natural lick in NY? I"ve heard a lot about them, but not sure I've ever actually found one. Honest question.

I know of 2  in allegany st park..  but that was extent of glacier.. differnet rocks not shale. I would expect some  in  the Dacks and Catskills as well.