Would you vote to make it legal?

Five Seasons

18 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I butchered a doe fawn and a 2.5 year old buck that were both shot by a neighbor with a .243.  The fawn was shot thru the lungs and the buck was shot in the hip and the shoulder blade.  The fawn produced about 20 pounds of useable meat and so did the buck.

I have hit adult deer in the shoulder blade many times with shotgun slugs and lost very little meat in comparison to what that .243 did to that buck’s front end.  I also hit one in the hip once with a 12 ga sabot and lost very little meat in comparison.  

If you can limit yourself to broadside lung shots at deer, then a .243 is adequate.  Ask g-man what he thinks of folks using .243’s for deer, when it comes to recovery percentage.  

I was very thankful that this incident occurred while I was contemplating buying a .243.  That was more than enough to take it off my list.  First hand experience carries a lot more weight with me that internet heresay.  The only way that I would use a .243 for deer is if someone had one pointed at me, and I had no better choice.  

So two deer?  Wish I had your vast knowledge and experience with the .243. 

• Haha 2

Just now, land 1 said:

OK one deer very identifiable rack ,,,, no reason for the sacrasim there guy....im just hoping this happens to get chefs view after actually trying it ...

No sarcasm needed or intended. I mean the man made the statement which will prove all but impossible and at times you sound like I should make it easier for him. He will try to do something very few could accomplish including myself. We have had them disappear for a week and longer thinking they drowned or got gored or the bear or yotes got him only to show back up on cameras. High fence can be made very simple or all but impossible. It’s all in the game. 

Negative. There are some pretty high dollar ladies in there kicking out some beauties. These are not stocked deer with big yellow tags in their ears. These deer are born and bred inside the enclosure and use the water better then any duck around. They know that area better then any man. 

Careful..it almost sounds like the does are more valuable...potentially DRIVING the INDUSTRY?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I would think the industry should make a mineral feed that would draw in the does which in turn would draw in the bucks no?
I would call it "Ladies Drink Free" like bars on Thursday nights in college towns!
We can be partners!!!!

We could never be partners if the bottom line was to be successful. Instead of getting them up to this stage where they belong you would be plugging them as yearling for a burger. Lol. Never Work.              This dude is another that does not like his pic taken in the daylight. Hunting these is not a simple task by any means without like everything else in life. Man gets involved. 

B420FE19-326C-4DD4-909A-81C5D4B8C558.png

• Like 2

Serious ? can the bears come and go as they please in high fence climb it or something I would guess that it would be pretty much predator free. i get the coyote maybe slipping under or something? If the bears cant get out I would guess u get at least knock the population way down to almost nothing... just curious not that famialer whith how it would work

7 minutes ago, land 1 said:

Serious ? can the bears come and go as they please in high fence climb it or something I would guess that it would be pretty much predator free. i get the coyote maybe slipping under or something? If the bears cant get out I would guess u get at least knock the population way down to almost nothing... just curious not that famialer whith how it would work

Bears are worse then yotes on high fence ranches. We can put predator fencing along the bottom to stop the yotes from digging thru. Bears climb up the posts or at the H corner posts like its not even there. This guy was hanging around the home farm this summer. This pic was the next night after it had a couple 22mag shots over its head and at its feet. It came back the 4th night and dealt with. Once they get the taste of easy fawns they will cause mass destruction if allowed. The other pic is one killed this morning about 500 yards from the pens. 

43A03ECC-9A8C-4A43-8471-DC346C4767ED.png

3E68F5FC-C074-4069-899A-CDB54B1C5526.png

• Like 1

Bears are worse then yotes on high fence ranches. We can put predator fencing along the bottom to stop the yotes from digging thru. Bears climb up the posts or at the H corner posts like its not even there. This guy was hanging around the home farm this summer. This pic was the next night after it had a couple 22mag shots over its head and at its feet. It came back the 4th night and dealt with. Once they get the taste of easy fawns they will cause mass destruction if allowed. The other pic is one killed this morning about 500 yards from the pens. 
43A03ECC-9A8C-4A43-8471-DC346C4767ED.thumb.png.38235ef2c9780bd379e49506039d6795.png
3E68F5FC-C074-4069-899A-CDB54B1C5526.thumb.png.9776fb0286ea66da7b0ef32d11cf4093.png

Do they give you bear Nuisance tags

Farmers can get just about any kind of permits. Be it Nuisance, Damage, harassment. Dogs on your property harassing your livestock are no different then wildlife doing it. 

That didn’t really answer the question now did it. I know what they can get I asked if you had them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

That didn’t really answer the question now did it. I know what they can get I asked if you had them.

Lol, I'm fairly certain he's not shooting bears illegally and posting them on a open forum. 

Don't need nuisance tags to kill predators.  Legal in NY to kill predators that are after you livestock. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, mowin said:

Lol, I'm fairly certain he's not shooting bears illegally and posting them on a open forum. 

Don't need nuisance tags to kill predators.  Legal in NY to kill predators that are after you livestock. 

100%

No seasons and no tags to protect livestock. I was amazed how bold coyotes were when I had cows dropping calves when I had a beef herd. Shot every one (of the coyotes, not the cows)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

He has alot of Super Easy to Call in Gobblers for May. Your Season of " 2" will be filled on May 2nd if you shoot even halfway straight. It is the High Fence experience .

So in your brain you calculate that the birds in the preserve were hand fed, Put in the preserve and now can’t get out?                   Please tell me that’s your line of thinking!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

My post above related to your easy Turkeys...

One thing is for sure- you love to Argue. Even more then banned 007. I don't know where you find the time with your expensive high fence operation...

I have a Strong feeling- face to Face- you would not be talking alot of crap to Many here...

I have a strong feeling you are wrong on your last statement. You quote my post with your idiotic statements that it’s easier to kill a Turkey behind fence?  What a stupid statement Remembering that 10 grader you were talking about yesterday?  I guess you can figure the rest out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

I have a strong feeling you are wrong on your last statement. You quote my post with your idiotic statements that it’s easier to kill a Turkey behind fence?  What a stupid statement Remembering that 10 grader you were talking about yesterday?  I guess you can figure the rest out. 

I took bills post as he was being sarcastic towards lands1 post as being surprised you have a bear issue by joking about  high fence turkey hunts. 

Edited by mowin

On 9/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, Belo said:

If the DEC put it to a vote, would you vote to allow off-season or out of season mineral supplements? Not legalizing feeders, but things like salt/mineral licks to encourage antler growth. They would still be illegal during the season (for those of us who follow the law of course)

Sure

To sum this up, FSW is pointing out that killing one specific buck in 3 days in a 680 acre high fenced preserve would be hard, especially given the nature of the preserve with lots of cover and inaccessible islands.  That seems rational.  Heck that could be a tough task even if you had a full season to get that one buck.   Since its a cull buck (I think FSW mentioned that), it would probably already be dead if it was easily patterned too so it  seems this one buck may not be an easy target.   He didn't say seeing any big buck roaming that preserve and killing it would be hard - big difference.

He also acknowledges that high fence facilities can make it very easy on clients - I am sure that is true.  They want big bucks killed or no one would return.   

I am sure everyone would agree that just killing any ole big buck in a high fence facility catering to big bucks would be easier than most open range private or public lands.   If not, why pay for the right to hunt such lands.

And some say that killing any buck in fenced land is of no interest to them.  I am sure that is true too.  Its all personal preference.

So in the end, what is the argument?  Maybe I missed something.  lol  Lots of pages here.

And I am guessing the hunt is not going to actually take place.

Oh and to answer the original question, I could care less whether minerals were made legal or not.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

To sum this up, FSW is pointing out that killing one specific buck in 3 days in a 680 acre high fenced preserve would be hard, especially given the nature of the preserve with lots of cover and inaccessible islands.  That seems rational.  Heck that could be a tough task even if you had a full season to get that one buck.   Since its a cull buck (I think FSW mentioned that), it would probably already be dead if it was easily patterned too so it  seems this one buck may not be an easy target.   He didn't say seeing any big buck roaming that preserve and killing it would be hard - big difference.

He also acknowledges that high fence facilities can make it very easy on clients - I am sure that is true.  They want big bucks killed or no one would return.   

I am sure everyone would agree that just killing any ole big buck in a high fence facility catering to big bucks would be easier than most open range private or public lands.   If not, why pay for the right to hunt such lands.

And some say that killing any buck in fenced land is of no interest to them.  I am sure that is true too.  Its all personal preference.

So in the end, what is the argument?  Maybe I missed something.  lol  Lots of pages here.

And I am guessing the hunt is not going to actually take place.

Oh and to answer the original question, I could care less whether minerals were made legal or not.

Lol. Exactly what I have been saying for years. Any animal can be manipulated to do as you want when you have the control. 1000 acres of no fence and I can get a lot of the deer to go where I want with manipulation. Hunting some of these bucks that were born behind fence one ai one is all but impossible. There are bucks like the one above that you will never see in the daylight until the rut rolls around and even then being let to do their own thing it would take a good Hunter to kill him. When a guy goes on a guided hunt in Iowa he pays big money for a chance at a buck. When a guy goes on a high fence hunt he pays to Get a buck. Very rarely does a Hunter pre pick a buck and then come in and harvest that buck. 60% of the time they upgrade to a larger deer after they lays eyes on him.           As far as the deal with Chef and his talk of shooting the wrong deer… which I have no clue how that would happen, identify target???? I’m not so sure we even want to risk it. If he was to throw a deposit down or such just in case he screws up…. Then you know he would identify his target then game on as long as he agrees to all the other stipulations. He would end up being the whipping boy on Utube used all across the country when it came to the….It would be so easy crowd.                                           As far as minerals or bait?  It does not really matter because it’s happening all across the state and most could give two craps about the dumb laws because the apple tree or food plot does the same exact thing.