Has WNY Academy started??

Otto

10 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I spend one percent of my time hunting sitting down. Bowhunting that is ,gun is obviously different.

Wow. I feel way more stealthy sitting. I'd say I'm 90% sitting and 10% standing. Usually I only stand to piss or stretch and then stay up for a few extra minutes before/after

• Like 3

I mostly sit in bow as well, when I see a deer I may want to shoot I stand at the appropriate time , but I’m super stealthy this might not work for others .

Larrys training tip of the week , go outside at night and practice moving, standing and drawing in front of a motion activated light , without setting it off…. I can cross my driveway most times .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Larrys training tip of the week , go outside at night and practice moving, standing and drawing in front of a motion activated light , without setting it off…. I can cross my driveway most times .

Oh my, what has happened to the hunters among us?

How about smoking a cigar and drinking a beer in front of your motion detection light? THAT would be training…. 

• Like 1

Actually I smoked the first one in a few weeks under it last night along with a couple G/T . To close to the garage to set it off though . 

i used to stand a lot, now mostly first and last light , part of getting fat and lazy I guess .

Edited by Nomad

I mostly sit in bow as well, when I see a deer I may want to shoot I stand at the appropriate time , but I’m super stealthy this might not work for others .

You don’t need to be stealthy you’re up high in a Cheatstand! I meant on the ground (no blind)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 8:33 PM, BizCT said:

You don’t need to be stealthy you’re up high in a Cheatstand! I meant on the ground (no blind)

That’s true , I’ve often said tree stands provide the greatest advantage a bow Hunter can use . 

Biz crunched the numbers and came to the conclusion the optimum stand height is 4 feet off the ground.

Imagine a world where somewhere thinks sitting 18ft high with a compound is “harder” than someone sitting on the ground (no blind) with an xbow! Silly

Height of any stand should be determined by the geography of the land and Where the deer come from etc. not determined by an out of the box instruction manual. Shot ANGLE is very important. Every year this forum wounds a ton of deer due to shot angle from treestands that nobody talks about

• Like 1

Imagine a world where somewhere thinks sitting 18ft high with a compound is “harder” than someone sitting on the ground (no blind) with an xbow! Silly

Height of any stand should be determined by the geography of the land and Where the deer come from etc. not determined by an out of the box instruction manual. Shot ANGLE is very important. Every year this forum wounds a ton of deer due to shot angle from treestands that nobody talks about

Next you'll tell me hunting with a fence around your prey is harder than in an open landscape of the same size and make up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BizCT said:

Mt last 4 out of 5 deer have been from the ground with no blind ,of those 5 deer,4 were with a compound.

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

You know the answer. Don’t try to be smart.

On a serious question, have you ever killed one from the ground?

Lol heck no.  I have zero interest in hunting from the ground.  From an elevated position my field of view is so incredibly much more than a hunter on the ground, be it bow or gun.   

I am out there to enjoy myself fully and observing all that goes on around me is enhanced by being elevated.   

Don’t tell me about the challenge of hunting from the ground until you’ve been successful with a compound, recurve, longbow, flintlock, inline muzzleloader rifle (scoped and iron sighted), CF rifle, shotgun and handgun.   :)

And btw, I’m in a great mood, I had a great day at work and just got home from the local fun center after purchasing a new Glock 19 Gen 5.    :)        :)