Do you notice a difference?

CuseHunter

Does your bow shoot differently when you are elevated in a tree say 15-25ft?

I have had a bit of bad luck this year with a missed shot and can't figure if it's due to being 25 ft up in the tree or poor kisser placement due to my mask getting in the way. Shot my bow today and had to adjust the sight 4 inches at 20 yards to the left so I'm back on the bullseye.

25 feet up is awfully high.  Check that with a tape and get back to us.

When you adjusted your sights today were you shooting on the ground or elevated?  Regardless, you MUST practice from a tree stand at some point PRIOR to the season IMO..

• Like 1

If you had to adjust 4 inches to the left are you sure your rest or sights have not moved ?

I've broadhead tuned my bow earlier in the year and locked in the rest and marked. It hasn't changed.

I live in the suburbs of syracuse so my yard has only a couple trees but impossible to set up in. So tomorrow after I hunt in the AM ill practice in a tree on the land I hunt.

25 feet up is awfully high. Check that with a tape and get back to us.

When you adjusted your sights today were you shooting on the ground or elevated? Regardless, you MUST practice from a tree stand at some point PRIOR to the season IMO..

Yesterday I used my climber and went till my pull rope was right which is 25ft. Normally higher than I go but the wind wasn't 100% in my advantage in this set

Now that depends on the terrain around you...if you are on level ground yes...if you are shooting toward a incline that rises from you not as much...some of my stands 16 ft high are near level with the land in front of me....if you are shooting from a declining slope from you even more....form is every thing....upon drawing  making sure you are in form then bending at your waist and not dropping your arm is what will keep you on target..

Your sights wont be off in a treestand, and the bow wont shoot differently, its your form. Plain and simple, bend at the waist, not through your shoulders. If you need more angle, bend your knees a bit along with your waist. You basically need to keep your upper body squared up, in the same form as if you are shooting level.

The only adjustment I make when shooting out of a stand, is I shoot for my exit point, not the entrance. Culver posted a good diagram of why in another thread.

• Like 2

Your sights wont be off in a treestand, and the bow wont shoot differently, its your form. Plain and simple, bend at the waist, not through your shoulders. If you need more angle, bend your knees a bit along with your waist. You basically need to keep your upper body squared up, in the same form as if you are shooting level.

The only adjustment I make when shooting out of a stand, is I shoot for my exit point, not the entrance. Culver posted a good diagram of why in another thread.

That definitely was it for me. I was moving my bow arm down to make the angle. Obviously completely wrong. I remember hearing people always say bend at the waist but now actually understand the difference.

it's not that it shoots differently, but your sights are probably off a little. most of our stands are 25-30. Flatfooted from the ground my sight is off.

That makes zero sense.

A tuned bow on the ground is a tuned bow in the tree. It's the indian, not the bow.

I had a similar issue and it was 100% what I was wearing.  My gloves that I had on I had not practiced with them.  They were thick enough that it moved my anchor point away from my face 1/2".  That throws an arrow off HUGE at 20, 30, 40 yards down field!!! 

I have shot many, many times from the ground and a tree stand at I have found a negligable difference if any at all. 

I would highly encourange you make sure that your bow is sighted in with what you actually wear when you are hunting (IE:  mask, hat, jacket, gloves) and not what you practiced with in the middle of summer.

Edited by beachpeaz
  • Like 1

That definitely was it for me. I was moving my bow arm down to make the angle. Obviously completely wrong. I remember hearing people always say bend at the waist but now actually understand the difference.

A good way to start getting in the habit, if you can afford the movement, is to draw level in the stand, and then bend your waist to keep the T form as the sight picture drops down into the buck's vitals. This helps people with it rather than trying to do it all at once, drawing at the angle with the bent waist and the T form.

• Like 1

He is exactly right! I have a ladder stand set up in my back yard that I practice doing this out of all the time.

Edited by Arrow Flinger

I had a similar issue and it was 100% what I was wearing.  My gloves that I had on I had not practiced with them.  They were thick enough that it moved my anchor point away from my face 1/2".  That throws an arrow off HUGE at 20, 30, 40 yards down field!!! 

I have shot many, many times from the ground and a tree stand at I have found a negligable difference if any at all. 

I would highly encourange you make sure that your bow is sighted in with what you actually wear when you are hunting (IE:  mask, hat, jacket, gloves) and not what you practiced with in the middle of summer.

Good tip.

This is what I was gonna post. The bow doesn't shoot differently but you need to account for the angle.

Whatever it is, I've never missed. He asked if I noticed a difference and I do. Even if I'm compensating for faults (I do bend at the waist) in my form I am 6 for 6 with bucks.

I won't say any more on the subject. I answered his question with my answer. Not surprising to see "the experts" bashing it.

Im not bashing anything belo, the facts are the facts, its all form. I dont claim to be an expert, but I used to have the same issues and was guided to the solution by people with way more experience than I have. When I have done my part correctly (form, chose proper pin for distance), I am 100% on hits as well. Every miss I have ever had can be attributed to either bad form or misjudging the distance. If you choose to argue that the sky isnt blue, thats your choice.

Even the worse archer can hit something, if he's consistently bad at it. Consistence is everything in archery, right?

This is no different from the guys that shoot with one pin and adjusts for the shot. They've practiced it(or should have) and know how high it low to aim. For the OP, he just needs to also account for windage.....

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems