Newest study early results..

G-Man

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I wish NY would do a similar study. I’ve been at my current property for 2 years now, but have yet to see a poult! There’s been 6 hens in the immediate area each year, but I’ve never seen a poult with any of them. Have a few gobblers around in the spring available to breed the hens.

Last year I started trapping nest raiders and hunting predators, hoping that would help. I took out 28 coons, 23 possums, 6 skunks, and 12 fox. Yet, still no poults around this summer…

I haven’t hunted turkey at all, as I don’t think we have any to spare and want to keep what we have for seed. None of the surrounding neighbors hunt them either, so that’s not an issue. Just no poult recruitment… I don’t get it…??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I wish NY would do a similar study. I’ve been at my current property for 2 years now, but have yet to see a poult! There’s been 6 hens in the immediate area each year, but I’ve never seen a poult with any of them. Have a few gobblers around in the spring available to breed the hens.

Last year I started trapping nest raiders and hunting predators, hoping that would help. I took out 28 coons, 23 possums, 6 skunks, and 12 fox. Yet, still no poults around this summer…

I haven’t hunted turkey at all, as I don’t think we have any to spare and want to keep what we have for seed. None of the surrounding neighbors hunt them either, so that’s not an issue. Just no poult recruitment… I don’t get it…??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep after the predators and look at creating nesting cover.  Fortunately i have decent production here after dropping about 5 acres of aspen for food and cover. 

Everyone seems to have an opinion about the decline in the turkey population.  In my area there has been no change in habitat.  It is a mixture of farmed fields, woods, swamps and overgrown brushy areas.  There has always been coyotes during the last 25 years and they prey on turkeys.  There is an abundance of raptors too.  The one new predator on the scene are the fishers.  Maybe they have made a difference, who knows.  I have seen a very few hens, no poults.

13 hours ago, cas said:

4-5 years ago I'd never seen a fisher/picture of one. Now I have hundreds of pictures of them. Even saw one late morning turkey hunting this spring. Have to wonder if it was coming to my calls. 

had a fisher definetely coming in to kill a hen , me this spring. he was on a mission and had i not yelled hey,hey would have climbed right up me to climb tree i was against to get a better vantage point. he wasn't much farther than the end of my 12 before i yelled at him

With good nesting habitat one wouldn't have to hunt the predators so hard. But with no real good nesting habitat one must control nest predators to their best ability. Fawns and Turkey poults require a little different habitat for successful growth. And most dont consider Turkey populations when going in and doing "work" on their land for healthier and better deer herds.. 

If anyone is on FB, follow Mike Chamberlain.. He has a ton of good info on there and every Tuesday he posts new info on his findings.. Turkey Tuesday..  

We hunt predators to our best abilities while battling life at the same time.. and the Poults are certainly there, They have their preferred habitat and they will stick to it until they are strong enough to escape all dangers. Where you see poults at a very young stage in life, its best to just leave the area alone for a month or so. Give them all the help they can get to succeed in life... First pics here on this part of the Lease, when there was literally zero life here this spring.. 

203bafa5-e59b-4b56-9069-a520c57837b1.jpg

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

trapping is a hobby that's been headed out to pasture and certainly no way to make a portion of a living anymore. coons, fisher, fox, coyote, etc. vast majority of furbearers will prey on turkeys. also qdm seems to be practiced more on a wide scale (by myself included). The best deer habitat isn't the best turkey habitat. thick cover a deer can just see over is a gauntlet for turkeys to go through without getting lurking predators around that they can no longer see coming.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, blackbeltbill said:

I am hoping there is not any truth to that because if her Gobbler is Bagged too early- perhaps She does not Nest.

I heard that from a biologist some time back on a pod cast. That the "pecking order" re-establishes itself, but it takes time. Depending on when it happens, it can take long enough that the season ends first. (breeding or hunting )  The next male in line doesn't just jump in and take over.

• Like 1