NY DEC: Additional Deer Management Permits - DMP's Available

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today announced that approximately 35,000 Deer Management Permits (DMPs) will be issued to hunters who were previously denied permits during the initial application period earlier this fall.  Leftover DMPs will also be available in several Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) beginning November 1, 2013.

Deer Management Permits, which allow hunters to harvest antlerless deer, are issued for specific WMUs to control deer populations.  In order to provide DMPs at point-of-sale locations DEC must anticipate the number of applicants in each WMU and assign a probability to each unit in order to issue the appropriate number of permits.  This year, DEC received fewer permit applications than projected in many WMUs.

To issue the remaining DMPs under Governor Cuomo's New York Open for Fishing and Hunting initiative, DEC randomly selects applicants who were previously denied permits in these affected units during the initial application period.  DEC completed the selection last week and has begun mailing permits to selected applicants.

The NY Open for Hunting and Fishing Initiative is an effort to improve recreational activities for in-state and out-of-state sportsmen and sportswomen and to boost tourism opportunities throughout the state.  This initiative includes the streamlining of hunting and fishing licensing and reducing license fees, improved access for fishing at various sites across the state, and increasing hunting opportunities in various regions.

In addition to those who were previously denied permits, applicants from the following WMUs may receive DMPs (the approximate number of permits to be mailed is in parenthesis).  For WMU locations, refer the 2013-14 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide or visit DEC’s website at www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8302.html.

·          Hudson Valley Region: 3C (400), 3F (900), 3G (640), 3H (500), 3J (360), 3K (120), 3N (660), 3P (400)

·          Capital Region: 4B (60), 4C (190), 4F (970), 4G (540), 4H (310), 4K (200), 4O (310), 4P (670), 4R (70), 4T (820), 4U (70), 4W (200), 4Y (700), 4Z (120)

·          Adirondack Region: 5R (230), 5S (480), 5T (50)

·          Western Adirondacks/Eastern Lake Ontario Region: 6C (60), 6K (780), 6P (710), 6R (550), 6S (340)

·          Central New York Region: 7A (530), 7J (1300; all denied applicants), 7M (1890), 7P (470), 7R (3240), 7S (560)

·          Western Finger Lakes Region: 8M (370), 8P (540), 8S (470), 8T (600), 8W (560), 8X (1570)

·          Western New York Region: 9H (3500), 9J (1300), 9K (640), 9M (1360), 9N (1550; all denied applicants), 9P (570), 9T (230), 9W (1110), 9X (220), 9Y (240)

Hunters not selected for a DMP will not receive a mailing from DEC.  Selection for one of these permits will not affect any preference points issued to hunters who were not selected for their first choice area during the original application period.

Additionally, in some WMUs, all applicants received permits during the initial application process or correction process, however, the DMP target was still not reached.  In these units, DEC will reopen the DMP application process on a first-come, first-served basis.  Hunters may apply for leftover DMPs at any DEC license sales outlet beginning Nov. 1, 2013. Leftover DMPs will not be available by phone, by mail or via the internet.  Applicants who previously paid the $10.00 DMP application fee or those that are exempt from the application fee will not be charged for this additional application.

Applications for leftover DMPs will be accepted for the following WMUs:

1C, 3M, 3R, 3S (bowhunting-only), 7F, 7H, 7J, 8A, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8J, 8N, 8R, 9A, and 9F.

During this extended application period, DEC will issue DMPs for an individual WMU all day.  The status of permits will be reviewed each night.  As individual units are filled, they will be removed from the list of those available effective the following day, with no further applications accepted for those units.  A list of units with available leftover DMPs will be routinely updated at www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/6399.html.

In order to get one of these, did you have to apply and be denied?  When I went to buy my license, I was told that they were not issuing doe permits anymore until Nov1, and that the store was temporarily unable to print licenses.  So, I decided to try again another time and was never actually 'denied'.  I'm assuming this means I'll have to wait til Nov1???

In order to get one of these, did you have to apply and be denied?  When I went to buy my license, I was told that they were not issuing doe permits anymore until Nov1, and that the store was temporarily unable to print licenses.  So, I decided to try again another time and was never actually 'denied'.  I'm assuming this means I'll have to wait til Nov1???

Yes I believe so.

• 2 years later...

Get as many Doe tags as you want. It wont do you any good. A biologist report showed 40% of the deer population for almost all of NYS died this winter due to extreme cold and high snow. That was just based on a study of road kill deer that they found to be starving. Yet DEC hands out tons of Doe tags anyways and then puts out a report that there quota wasn't filled. NO *****. This report didn't include that fact that the coyote also killed off roughly 20% more deer that would have lived. So my question is ( Hows your 2015 deer season going?). I will put money on it that most of you hunters will agree that your sightings and killings are way down.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
Edited for language. Please see forum TOS.
  • Like 1

I think people are going to have to face up to the fact that if they continue to try and fill all their tags this year, 2016 will go down on record as one of the worst hunting years to date.

I have had a niggling feeling that I really should not go after that second buck this year, and this after an already self imposed prohibition on taking doe, who's numbers in my area are truly pitiful this year.

I'm doing my part to address the obvious effects of two hard winters. Hopefully others will follow suit. It's a no brainer

• Like 1

Get as many Doe tags as you want. It wont do you any good. A biologist report showed 40% of the deer population for almost all of NYS died this winter due to extreme cold and high snow. That was just based on a study of road kill deer that they found to be starving. Yet DEC hands out tons of Doe tags anyways and then puts out a report that there quota wasn't filled. NO SHIT. This report didn't include that fact that the coyote also killed off roughly 20% more deer that would have lived. So my question is ( Hows your 2015 deer season going?). I will put money on it that most of you hunters will agree that your sightings and killings are way down.

Yup Ny is following right behind every other state that no longer have a whitetail population to speak of. Yes some private lands have some deer but there may as well be a fence around them because the average guy cant touch them. Most State lands will be void of hunters because the deer have been decimated. The writing is and has been on the wall.