What are your thoughts about this deer hunting quote

Northcountryman

Just finished reading my Petersons Hunting , Nov issue . One of the articles was written by an outfitter in Kansas centered on the judgement call we’ve all face at some point : choosing your buck to harvest . In it was a memorable quote that sums it up nicely : “ Never pass on anything the first day that you night take on the last day “ . For me , been there done that big time and never will again as we all know chances to put meat in the freezer are not infinite ! What do you think ? 

• Like 2

I am a pure “Meat hunter”.   I don’t pass too many legal bucks. I could count them on both hands.  I don’t regret any of them, because almost without exception, I was able to use that tag later on a larger buck.  A couple times, the bigger one showed up in less than two minutes.  The longest it took was (6) days, last gun season. 

The primary reason that I pass small body/antlered bucks is to get more meat.  A 2.5 year buck produces about double the useable meat as a 1.5 year old, and a 3.5 about half again more than a 2.5 year old.  I have managed to kill 3.5 year old bucks on (4) of the last (6) years and (2.5’s) the other (2).  That required passing about (6) 1.5’s.  

As long as the carcass is properly aged (length of time at 33-48 F), then there is absolutely no difference in the texture or flavor of meat from 1.5, 2.5, or 3.5 year old bucks. It makes zero sense for me to waste a tag on a 1.5, from a meat volume standpoint alone. 

At the same time, I don’t regret a single antlered buck that I have killed, and I have yet to see a larger buck after I had punched my tag, while out later with only antlerless tags.  

Some day I might regret a pass (if I ended the season with an empty freezer), or a kill (if a giant showed up later), but I am thankful that it hasn’t  happened in my first 40 deer seasons.  

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am a pure “Meat hunter”.   I don’t pass too many legal bucks. I could count them on both hands.  I don’t regret any of them, because almost without exception, I was able to use that tag later on a larger buck.  A couple times, the bigger one showed up in less than two minutes.  The longest it took was (6) days, last gun season. 

The primary reason that I pass small body/antlered bucks is to get more meat.  A 2.5 year buck produces about double the useable meat as a 1.5 year old, and a 3.5 about half again more than a 2.5 year old.  I have managed to kill 3.5 year old bucks on (4) of the last (6) years and (2.5’s) the other (2).  That required passing about (6) 1.5’s.  

As long as the carcass is properly aged (length of time at 33-48 F), then there is absolutely no difference in the texture or flavor of meat from 1.5, 2.5, or 3.5 year old bucks. It makes zero sense for me to waste a tag on a 1.5, from a meat volume standpoint alone. 

At the same time, I don’t regret a single antlered buck that I have killed, and I have yet to see a larger buck after I had punched my tag, while out later with only antlerless tags.  

Some day I might regret a pass (if I ended the season with an empty freezer), or a kill (if a giant showed up later), but I am thankful that it hasn’t  happened in my first 40 deer seasons.  

So you will kill a baby deer in a heartbeat but you won’t kill the tenderest of the bucks. Makes sense. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky118 said:

I'm pretty sure an outfitter in Kansas isn't  talking about a 4 point. I'm sure it's if you see 150  don't wait for a 160. Only in NY would it be if you see a 4 point don't wait for an 8 lol.

Even in NY, it depends where one is. There are 8pts in some areas of Stueben Cty that I know ppl pass but would be considered giants in other areas of NY.

So shoot what makes you happy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

So you will kill a baby deer in a heartbeat but you won’t kill the tenderest of the bucks. Makes sense. 

I guess you didn’t read my post.  The meat from a 3.5 year old, properly aged, is every bit as tender as that from a 1.5 year old.  I have the facilities to age the 3.5, regardless of outside weather conditions (deer fridge and insulated/air conditioned garage), so it don’t make any sense for me to kill 1.5 year olds early in the season(s).

As far as the baby deer go, they have made up about 25% of my antlerless kills over my 40 years of deer hunting.  If I were more selective with antlerless tags, those would have most likely gone unfilled.  I always target the largest bodied antlerless deer first, from any group. 

Most of my hunting has been in areas where herd reduction is desired and a “baby buck” kill benefits more people overall, than an unfilled tag in such areas.  If the Good Lord grants me such a “fatted calf”, who am I to deny His wishes ?

So will I take one “in a heartbeat” ?  You are very right that I have, when I had a tag and there was no larger antlerless deer in range.  They are a renewable resource and one buck can service many does.  

Edited by wolc123

If you are primarily a meat hunter, I think the quote even holds. I prefer a nice older doe for size and eating, and will pass many smaller /younger ones earlier in the season. Early on I have passed on good does ...and gone hungry.

My area isnt known for big trophy bucks, but a few wander through later in the season. Unfortunately, a lot of the "meat hunters" around me dont pass on the first one...or the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.....

If you are primarily a meat hunter, I think the quote even holds. I prefer a nice older doe for size and eating, and will pass many smaller /younger ones earlier in the season. Early on I have passed on good does ...and gone hungry.
My area isnt known for big trophy bucks, but a few wander through later in the season. Unfortunately, a lot of the "meat hunters" around me dont pass on the first one...or the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.....

I passed on a good one a few seasons back because I already arrowed two does before he came in and I thought the area I was hunting may hold better. It is truly the one spot where I am seeking a big horned beast(but clearly won't pass meat!).
I never saw that deer or any close to him that season-if he came back later (especially after watching the video of him time and time again) I would take him on round two. Still not real regrets but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I passed on a good one a few seasons back because I already arrowed two does before he came in and I thought the area I was hunting may hold better. It is truly the one spot where I am seeking a big horned beast(but clearly won't pass meat!).
I never saw that deer or any close to him that season-if he came back later (especially after watching the video of him time and time again) I would take him on round two. Still not real regrets but....

he was a beauty!

this applies for me and actually helps me enjoy the time in the woods without any concerns or second guessing passing or not passing a deer when the time comes. standards set preseason and I stick to them with rare exception. hunting public land, family farm, or out of state doesn't make a difference. sometimes i don't take a buck but other times it's allowed me to bag a personal best or successfully hold out for a specific buck i'm after. for herd management decisions doe are even more important. harvest goals are set based on whatever local deer numbers are. on the farm this year it'll likely be an ancient or yearling doe as numbers are still rebounding from a neighborhood poacher sneaking onto our farm taking deer well into February. prior it was productive middle aged to mature doe and we had a pre-determined quantity to take. hunting public bow only property here near my office it's anything without antlers or any buck 4.5+ yrs old.

It speaks volumes, if your intentions are to truly let deer grow, and build age class on your properties. Instead of targeting one buck, I build a "hit list". and I also tell myself each year, Tag soup is a good thing.. your doing your part at building age class. 

If you shoot that buck at the end of season, but passed him early on, your doing it out of spite, and certainly not for meat(some situations change I get it). But in terms of managing or herd building, Put "x" amount of does on your list, and certain bucks of the age class your targeting.. 

And i can not stand when the words come out, "Well, Its not my biggest.." Hunting has become a competition for some.. Do you , and let others be, providing they are doing so lawfully. 

It used to bother me when neighbors shot young bucks, then i realized, I, yes I was the problem.. Life is short, Everyone's life is different.. be safe, be legal to your best ability and have fun.   

• Like 6

10 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Even in NY, it depends where one is. There are 8pts in some areas of Stueben Cty that I know ppl pass but would be considered giants in other areas of NY.

So shoot what makes you happy.

Representing Steuben County here. It's been a tough year on trailcam this summer. That being said, my goal for the season is a 3.5 yr old buck, same as always. I don't get to caught up on score when it comes to my deer hunting, just a realistic buck for the area that I'm hunting. Maybe someday I will join one of Let Em Grow's leases and then I can up my standards a little!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

have always disagreed with that quote. I think it's misused in the NE. Where it's not misused it short gun seasons like wisconsin or if you're on a trip for a week at an outfitter or out west. 

But in NY We have from 10/1 till 12/19ish to kill a couple bucks.  If I see a nice 2.5 year old the morning of 10/1 he's getting a pass. He may likely not get a pass during gun if I still have 2 buck tags and he might get a pass again if I'm still buckless in December. 

I am usually able to put a doe or 2 in the freezer and I'll take what bucks I want, and when I want and not feel bad about what I passed or didn't. Hunting for me is an in the moment kind of thing and not a work procedure I plan to follow all season. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

have always disagreed with that quote. I think it's misused in the NE. Where it's not misused it short gun seasons like wisconsin or if you're on a trip for a week at an outfitter or out west. 

But in NY We have from 10/1 till 12/19ish to kill a couple bucks.  If I see a nice 2.5 year old the morning of 10/1 he's getting a pass. He may likely not get a pass during gun if I still have 2 buck tags and he might get a pass again if I'm still buckless in December. 

I am usually able to put a doe or 2 in the freezer and I'll take what bucks I want, and when I want and not feel bad about what I passed or didn't. Hunting for me is an in the moment kind of thing and not a work procedure I plan to follow all season. 

it's most important to NOT post pics

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

I agree.  That's why I said it's meaning on a week long guided hunt is different than hunting the same farm or properties the entire season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

2a0540b070d10f4ddd0583e3435d31da.jpg
18 yards...10/17/2020...barely hunted that spot last year due to some ownership changes. Not sure I'll be back there this year either. He should be a SLAMMER by now!

As you know, I lost my 3S spot too. We need to find something new.